Author Topic: How do I get the best (GA) floor position?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline cginca

• Stranger in a Strange Land
How do I get the best (GA) floor position?
« on: April 11, 2010, 08:39:23 AM »
Hi there.
I'm new to this forum, so I hope to get several responses.  Didn't have much luck on U2's home forum...
So the boys resume their world supremacy tour again in <2 months.
Very excited and I'm sure it'll be another amazing show.
I've seen them several times over the last 20+ years, and they never fail to deliver.

Anyway, my question: I have not seen them on this tour and the General Admission "rules" tend to change each time.
Could anyone out there who has seen them on this tour shed some light?
How do I assure myself of getting right up to the stage, as-close-to-the-band-as-possible?
(Not necessarily asking where on the floor to go --I'll figure that out when/if I'm in.)

On their previous (Atomic Bomb) tour, we had GA tickets and got in line very early that morning (along with 100s, then 1000s of others). BUT, then we discovered the tickets were scanned at entry, and only some were sort of "randomly" selected to go into the "bomb shelter" (inside the 'heart" stage).  Luckily, ours were scanned as being allowed in the shelter.
So ultimately, being there that early didn't really improve our chances of getting on the floor.  All it did was improve our position ON the floor, relative to the others that were randomly selected as well.  Conceivably, we could have been first in line with GA tickets, but if we our scan didn't allow us, we could've been screwed from getting into the bomb shelter at all.

The reason I bring this up is I'm wondering if they are running it the same way on this tour?
A different way?  Is it just first come (ie: that morning/night before), first served?
If so, what time have people been showing up for these shows?
Does it depend on the venue?
I am planning to go to either the June 6th or 7th 2010 show in Anaheim, California.

If you would, please respond in detail with as much input as you can, ESPECIALLY if you've seen them up close multiple times on their current tour with GA tickets.
All information is greatly appreciated and I thank you very much in advance for your reply.

Best,
~Chris

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
Re: How do I get the best (GA) floor position?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 08:58:39 AM »
Here is an excellent guide to GA.  It should answer a lot of your questions.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »
I didnt have GA's for my show but from what I saw, it was obvious that it was the people in the front of the line that was allowed access to the inner pit.

Offline AndyU2

• Numb
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 10:12:49 AM »
Here is an excellent guide to GA.  It should answer a lot of your questions.

Uh-oh

404 error message
Sorry this forum was not found.

General Admission rules varies from venue but it usually goes by a numbering system. First 200 get in and 200 more and so forth. They don't allow overnight camping. Some gigs last year they would move the line somewhere away from the venue to camp out for the night.  They start organizing the line at about 7 am.

My advice for you would be get to the GA line early as possible (maybe even the day before the show) outside the inner circle.. front row, dead center.  You'll have some amazing views of the screen and also the boys like to stick around that area.  :)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:16:10 AM by AndyFC91 »

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 11:16:24 AM »
Sorry, the link works for me, but maybe it's because I'm a U2.com member and stay logged into it on my computer.  If you're a U2.com member, the thresd is under Tours and Tickets, and I think it's called Joe's Unofficial Guide to the GA, and it's pinned toward the beginning of the section.  Basically, it says it depends on the venue, but he recommends camping out overnight or being in line real early (like 6 a.m.) if you want front of the circle.  There was no lottery for inner circle for the 360 shows.  I did hear that at last summer's shows, people were getting into the inner circle even lining up as late as 4 p.m., but probably not the very front.  We got into the inner circle at Norman and lined up at 2 p.m., but then we went to the outer rail (catwalk) because I wanted to see the stage better.  The main stage is pretty high, like maybe 8 foot tall, and the catwalk is more like 5 foot tall. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 11:22:34 AM by lorijane »

InThisHeartland

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 04:08:40 PM »
google it-- its on his blog, first hit. good stuff in there.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »
THanks for the head's up.  Hopefully this link works.  Go to the Joe's U2 Fan Site part and his guide is in there.  It's the most helpful thing I've read about the GA queue.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »
Get there now. And wait. Just wait.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:19:45 PM »
I got in the inner circle at Dublin and I started queuing at 10am, it was fine. Bring some food!

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »
I got in the inner circle at Dublin and I started queuing at 10am, it was fine. Bring some food!
On the other side of that we got to Dublin 3 at 1800 and could walk to about 20 people deep from the outer walkway. So all is not lost if you don't want to queue super early. The stage is so big that turning up 3 or 4 hours before show time will guarantee a good viewing spot. The majority of concert goers never usually come until an hour or two before showtime anyway. At every show I go to except U2 I will try to time it so there is minimum wait between arriving and the main event.

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 12:25:09 PM »
GA for the 360 is better if you're NOT in the inner circle...stage is placed higher than on previous tour and b/c of enormity of stage, best to be appreciated from outside of red zones or further back in the GA crowd.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 10:36:05 PM »
Disagree with better/worse.

But it's definitely very different.