Author Topic: is it time to allow trading on @U2  (Read 2724 times)

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
is it time to allow trading on @U2
« on: April 11, 2010, 07:42:32 PM »
i dont know why exactly sharing bootlegs of live performances are banned on here (mainly because i havent spent much time thinking about it).

isnt the bands official stance that they dont care? i think it's pretty safe that u2's lawyers arent going to pursue anyone torrenting a boot of their concerts.

Is it time to have a rethink on this. i know there are torrent site which host all this but you get recommendations from the forums and seems a little silly you can't post a link.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
Re: is it time to allow trading on @U2
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 08:48:02 PM »
The band's "official stance" is quite different from the corporate U2 stance. As we have far more interaction with the corporate portion of the organization, we tend to give their points of view more weight.

;D

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 09:00:56 PM »
surely youd be fine tho?

people would report illegal links on here pretty quick.

or does "corporate" not like the live boots also? what is their stance/argument?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 09:18:46 PM »
Also can see the validity in a ticket trading area as well...

Obviously the complication comes with the legality if a trade goes awry, but u2.com do it in an 'unofficial' capacity.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 09:17:16 PM »
so.....is that the end of the discussion? if this has discussed in detail before maybe a sticky on the tours forum would help people understand.

seems a bit overly cautious to me (again, with no knowledge of the true situation).

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 11:00:17 PM »
search google. acquire link to bootleg website. end thread.

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 12:04:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

taking a stab at what you mean there mate. do you mean i should just use u2 torrents to search for boots? no doubt this is not difficult but not really what i'm after (read all of my first post, as slowly as you need to). you see if someone recommends something then they could provide a link to the torrent within the post (like they do for youtube vids) and then you'd know you got the right one. otherwise you gotta try and first find the right concert (not too hard) plus the right version of the concert (can be difficult as they get cleaned up and there are multiple revisions flying around). on the whole its not hard but relatively two to four times as hard as just clicking on one link.

clearly the internet makes alot of things easy and i can see potential for a way to let it make things even easier for us/me. the rules of the forum prevent it currently and through this thread i'm questioning this (or alternatively trying to find out just how hard a time u2 lawyers give websites over posting torrent links).

and contrary to your post for now i'd like to keep this thread open as i feel unsatisfied with the information thusfar gleaned (notwithstanding your recommendation of the wonderful site of google. i already use it often and can also recommend it to anyone who finds themselves needing to search the internet).

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 12:51:42 AM »
Yeah, we're not gonna change the position on this stuff anytime soon. There are a lot of reasons, most of which have been mentioned before in this forum and/or our old forum. (RIP) We've run forums before that allowed bootleg trades, allowed ticket sales/trades, etc., and in no time flat it becomes a complete headache to manage because we end up getting dozens of emails anytime someone

has questions
is afraid of making a trade
wants a personal reference about another user
thinks that they're getting scammed
got scammed
etc.
etc.

We have no time or desire to babysit all that. Been there, done it, not doing it again. It sounds great to say "the community polices itself," but that doesn't actually happen.

As Joe mentioned, there's also the potential issues with management, who could decide tomorrow that they're going to start selling official copies of every show, rendering any site that trades shows as being in direct contrast with the business/legal folks (whom we've also dealt with before on various legal and copyright issues - not fun).

And a bigger issue is that we want people to come to the forum for conversation and discussion, not for selling, trading, etc.

(And I'm gonna move this to the Feedback board....)

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 01:33:11 AM »

taking a stab at what you mean there mate. do you mean i should just use u2 torrents to search for boots? no doubt this is not difficult but not really what i'm after (read all of my first post, as slowly as you need to). you see if someone recommends something then they could provide a link to the torrent within the post (like they do for youtube vids) and then you'd know you got the right one. otherwise you gotta try and first find the right concert (not too hard) plus the right version of the concert (can be difficult as they get cleaned up and there are multiple revisions flying around). on the whole its not hard but relatively two to four times as hard as just clicking on one link.

clearly the internet makes alot of things easy and i can see potential for a way to let it make things even easier for us/me. the rules of the forum prevent it currently and through this thread i'm questioning this (or alternatively trying to find out just how hard a time u2 lawyers give websites over posting torrent links).

and contrary to your post for now i'd like to keep this thread open as i feel unsatisfied with the information thusfar gleaned (notwithstanding your recommendation of the wonderful site of google. i already use it often and can also recommend it to anyone who finds themselves needing to search the internet).

u2torrents is THE site for all your U2 needs. if you want to find out what shows are best then use 'justinscdr trading page' that is like the bible of available versions of each show. It's very easy if a little time consuming.
et voila....

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 01:40:17 AM »
Yeah, we're not gonna change the position on this stuff anytime soon. There are a lot of reasons, most of which have been mentioned before in this forum and/or our old forum. (RIP) We've run forums before that allowed bootleg trades, allowed ticket sales/trades, etc., and in no time flat it becomes a complete headache to manage because we end up getting dozens of emails anytime someone

has questions
got scammed
etc.
etc.

We have no time or desire to babysit all that. Been there, done it, not doing it again. It sounds great to say "the community polices itself," but that doesn't actually happen.

As Joe mentioned, there's also the potential issues with management, who could decide tomorrow that they're going to start selling official copies of every show, rendering any site that trades shows as being in direct contrast with the business/legal folks (whom we've also dealt with before on various legal and copyright issues - not fun).

And a bigger issue is that we want people to come to the forum for conversation and discussion, not for selling, trading, etc.

awwwwwww  ;D
fine. those are certainly valid reasons :(

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 04:44:11 PM »

has questions
got scammed
etc.
etc.

awwwwwww  ;D
fine. those are certainly valid reasons :(

yeah that pretty much covers it and makes very good sense.

maybe a similar bit of info could be included in a FAQ section or forum rules section (maybe it is already and i couldnt/didnt find it). might save every new member wondering.