Author Topic: No new U2 album in June  (Read 21754 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: No new U2 album in June
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2010, 11:13:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Remember that the real, fanatical fan base is actually the minority in terms of worldwide populations etc.

That's easy to forget on this forum.

Who's being fanatical on this forum?   Report them to the moderators. :D

Wakes up....hey did somebody call me  :D!  This place is so fanatical, even this mod is a fanatic  ;) ;D

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2010, 01:09:19 AM »
Communard115 - Sorry, I don't buy your position. If true - that the base actually turned out to buy NLOTH and thus that revenue stream was maximized - then U2's core base has contracted over the last eight years.

But I don't believe it. I think the U2 fan base by and large are smart, well-rounded, measured, and as big as ever. However, they aren't trained seals predisposed to buy everything branded U2. They are eager for new music and will gladly invest if the music is moving. After hearing the first few releases of NLOTH, and likely hearing most of the rest of the album on-line, I think much of the base simply balked and said we'll wait to see what the next album brings instead. "Boots" was viewed as a "Vertigo" redux and subsequent releases to that opener seemed disjointed. Simply put - if the product was better, sales would have been better.

Do you think "NLOTH" was of the same quailty as "ATYCLB" or "HTDAAB"?

I'm predisposed to buy every U2 album release, even Passengers.  Does that make me a 'trained seal'? :D

I would say that NLOTH exceeded ATYCLB and HTDAAB in quality and yet sales were considerably lower, which challenges your assumption.

I'm a fellow trained seal  **makes seal noises**   :D

Offline TheFlyLives

• Refugee
  • From the firefly, the red orange glow
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2010, 03:41:49 AM »
bw, some of your descriptions clearly show the difference between the casual listener and a hardcore fan. The hardcore fan will automatically go buy the new U2 album, no questions asked, as I did and am sure many here did because he/she will always find something familiar or likeable in the release, that's why they are hardcore fans, they listen to U2's work and playing down to the core of their souls. The casual listener, which is the majority of the population, will indeed listen to something like "Boots" and decide to not get the album or maybe just find the one or two songs they seem to be attracted to and buy them off iTunes. I have no way of knowing by how the "core base" contracted or expanded within the last eight years, I'm sure Paul McGuinness has polling data or some sort of chart system tucked away in his office, who knows, I'm just going by generally known attitudes and common sense.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2010, 03:06:17 PM »

Do you think "NLOTH" was of the same quailty as "ATYCLB" or "HTDAAB"?

Why are you asking that question like it's rhetorical? :P I think NLOTH is definately better than its two predecessors, it's too simplistic to equate sales to quality. Throughout history there's been loads of albums that are underrated (and overrated) by the general public. One main thing NLOTH had against it is that Boots flopped - probably because it sounded like Vertigo part 2 on release, plus it had strange lyrics that don't make sense outwith the context of the album. The first single is everything these days. Bomb sold loads of copies; without Vertigo it would probably have been about half of what it was.

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2010, 10:57:44 AM »
the reason boots failed was because the verses are catchier than the chorus. A song doesn't have to be catchy to be great, but if it is, the chorus had better not syphon all of the momentum of the song away. Anyway, I think that this discussion os brought up on every thread, so I will stop adding to it  :)