Author Topic: No new U2 album in June  (Read 21756 times)

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
Re: No new U2 album in June
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2010, 09:24:14 AM »
If they do release an album before Christmas (and I dont think they will), I hope they decide not to call it Songs of Ascent. I'm not really liking that title too much.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2010, 11:17:55 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm starting to think that SOA is indeed finished and they're debating how much to tinker with it.  If they had something ready to go, why release it now?  4th quarter releases tend to sell better anyway.  They'll gradually work some new songs into the setlists and Australasia will hear more of the new stuff than anyone later this fall.  It'll be just like with Zooropa.

I agree. The end.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »
But why release SOA so close to the Achtung remaster? It doesn't seem to click with their usual sales tactics, unless they've decided to try something new. They are probably weighing the sales pros and cons such as risk releasing SOA, which might only appeal to U2 fans, or stick with the Achtung remaster which might reach a wider audience.

I must have missed something. Is an Achtung Baby remaster actually coming out this year?

#@!

edge89

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2010, 02:14:02 PM »
Declan Gaffney, who did additional production on several tracks and mixing on the last record have apparently been to a London studio "mixing tracks for U2" repeatedly for the last couple of months: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So what is it?
The rumoured June single? An EP? The Fall 2010 album? Another Fish Out Of Water Remix - he's one of the guys in that duo so that's slightly possible since the Magnificent mix hasn't been released yet? ???
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 02:32:34 PM by edge89 »

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2010, 03:28:14 PM »
I'm hoping they still call the album Songs of Ascent and that it's a collection of meditative tracks on the theme of pilgrimage.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2010, 05:24:01 PM »
I'm hoping they still call the album Songs of Ascent and that it's a collection of meditative tracks on the theme of pilgrimage.

Psh. Its probably punkrock from venus by now!

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2010, 06:25:44 PM »
Declan Gaffney, who did additional production on several tracks and mixing on the last record have apparently been to a London studio "mixing tracks for U2" repeatedly for the last couple of months: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So what is it?
The rumoured June single? An EP? The Fall 2010 album? Another Fish Out Of Water Remix - he's one of the guys in that duo so that's slightly possible since the Magnificent mix hasn't been released yet? ???

Nice find, edge89. Sent an email, will see if we hear anything. Unlikely, but you never know.

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2010, 08:12:04 PM »
From a marketing standpoint, I would have the torn up the cookie-cutter U2 script, the October-November release pattern, and released a new album right at opening night of this new tour leg. I would set up tables at the concert and have the discs ready for purchase before U2 take the stage. Make a big announcement a night or two before the show that the album will be available at the concert. Then U2 should play half the album at the new shows.

Instead of waiting months for the music to get into the listeners' blood stream, this would be U2 serving new music at the height of its freshness.

And why not? After the debacle of NLOTH - and yes it was a debacle by U2 standards - U2 should really consider something different with their delivery model.

Since they aren't ready for this midyear release, I can only conclude that this so called "Songs of Ascent" material is far from finished and U2 have resumed their positions of endlessly banging their heads against the wall trying to pursue their requisite consensus.

Let me translate what Paul G really meant - "Yes, it would be great if we could get this damn thing finished by the end of 2010. We have read and heard what many of the fans have said. Unfortunately, yet again, the supply is not ready for the demand. So we will likely see you at the end of 2011, or maybe 2012...Until then, enjoy the next round of shows and continue to buy lots of tickets and merchandise. And if you know somebody who wants to buy a state of the art concert stage with all the trimmings, have them give me a ring..."

Offline TheFlyLives

• Refugee
  • From the firefly, the red orange glow
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2010, 03:35:17 PM »
Their days of creative marketing are over because they have basically become full agents of the market itself. Right now Paul and Co.'s worry is "how can we rake in more cash?" We need to drop this fantasy that these guys are sitting around wondering what the fans actually want. Why else would Bono and Edge choose SPIDER-MAN for a musical instead of something new and spawned out of their own imaginations?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2010, 04:32:19 PM »
Perhaps the boys need to free themselves from the constraints of a record deal with a major label and go it alone.  They are past masters at self publicity by now and so don't need the record company machine.  Then they can make the music they truly want to make right now without considering industry demographics and such.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »
Perhaps the boys need to free themselves from the constraints of a record deal with a major label and go it alone.  They are past masters at self publicity by now and so don't need the record company machine.  Then they can make the music they truly want to make right now without considering industry demographics and such.

how many albums do they have left on their contract?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2010, 04:56:48 PM »

I don't know but I'm sure that record companies have some say in how an album is produced and it shouldn't be that way.  With management like Principle on their side why on earth do they need a long term deal with a major?  They have the clout to negotiate single album deals like Prince does and he's never been happier or made as much money in his life since breaking from Warners.  What's the betting they were behind the inclusion of I'll Go Crazy and SUC on NLOTH?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2010, 05:09:37 PM »

I don't know but I'm sure that record companies have some say in how an album is produced and it shouldn't be that way.  With management like Principle on their side why on earth do they need a long term deal with a major?  They have the clout to negotiate single album deals like Prince does and he's never been happier or made as much money in his life since breaking from Warners.  What's the betting they were behind the inclusion of I'll Go Crazy and SUC on NLOTH?

see, i dont know how the record company/contract/management game is played, but the whole Pop being rushed thing seems fishy, i mean its friggin U2, and they're getting pushed around by the record co to release a new album ASAP?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2010, 05:14:28 PM »

see, i dont know how the record company/contract/management game is played, but the whole Pop being rushed thing seems fishy, i mean its friggin U2, and they're getting pushed around by the record co to release a new album ASAP?

I don't know either but I have visions of a Bobbi Flekman type person telling Bono "You, don't talk tawwk too much". :D

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2010, 06:11:56 PM »
Communard115 - I hope U2 are sitting around wandering what their fans want, actually.

The fans, to quote Bono, have given U2 "a great life..."

I really can't imagine U2 being that dismissive. Making music at this level is indeed a two way street - for the band's interests and for the fans. Finding the balancing point is the ultimate trick at this level...