Author Topic: No new U2 album in June  (Read 21728 times)

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
Re: No new U2 album in June
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2010, 11:36:42 AM »
Tumbling - you should. It's a great experience.  ;)

Offline TheFlyLives

• Refugee
  • From the firefly, the red orange glow
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
It's quite simple: They don't care much for what the fan base thinks because they know they could release a box of U2 Animal Crackers and the fans will go buy it, the same with the magazines, tours etc. That's just consumerism, pure and simple.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:12:02 PM by Communard115 »

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2010, 12:35:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's quite simple: They don't care much for what the fan base thinks because they know they could release a box of U2 Animal Crackers and the fans will go buy it, the same with the magazines, tours etc. That's just consuermism, pure and simple.

Yeah, sure they would.  ::)

Offline halljoh2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Lets see colours that have never been seen.
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2010, 04:41:51 AM »
It's quite simple: They don't care much for what the fan base thinks because they know they could release a box of U2 Animal Crackers and the fans will go buy it, the same with the magazines, tours etc. That's just consuermism, pure and simple.

Are you telling me that you wouldn't buy U2 animal crackers? 

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2010, 04:51:43 AM »

Are you telling me that you wouldn't buy U2 animal crackers? 
i think he's saying we all would :D
i know i would ;D

InThisHeartland

« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2010, 06:14:35 AM »
Oh hell yeah U2 animal crackers!

Offline dangerous and honest

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Outside its a car park! Outside its a car park!
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2010, 12:14:30 PM »
Just read that the Super Deluxe box of Animal Crackers has been pulled.  :(

Oh well, still looking forward to the standard ones anyway.

Offline bw

• Refugee
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »
Communard115 - if true, why did the base - and it is a big, stout base - not gobble up NLOTH?

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2010, 04:18:39 PM »
Just read that the Super Deluxe box of Animal Crackers has been pulled.  :(

Oh well, still looking forward to the standard ones anyway.

:D

Offline Terrasidius

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Bass suit, bug shades, moon boogie motorcade
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2010, 10:47:21 PM »
Perhaps the boys need to free themselves from the constraints of a record deal with a major label and go it alone.  They are past masters at self publicity by now and so don't need the record company machine.  Then they can make the music they truly want to make right now without considering industry demographics and such.

how many albums do they have left on their contract?

I don't know but I'm sure that record companies have some say in how an album is produced and it shouldn't be that way.  With management like Principle on their side why on earth do they need a long term deal with a major?  They have the clout to negotiate single album deals like Prince does and he's never been happier or made as much money in his life since breaking from Warners.  What's the betting they were behind the inclusion of I'll Go Crazy and SUC on NLOTH?

see, i dont know how the record company/contract/management game is played, but the whole Pop being rushed thing seems fishy, i mean its friggin U2, and they're getting pushed around by the record co to release a new album ASAP?

Pop was rushed because they had booked Popmart before the album was finished. It didn't have anything to do with the record company. U2 pretty much set their own release dates, thats why NLOTH was released so late and why HTAAB was released in 2004 instead of 2003.

It was Paul Mcguiness' idea to book the tour so early, partly because he thought the band were taking too long on the album and because he rekoned they were confident enough with the material. Its in an interview with the band, sited on the wikipedia page for POP.

Offline TheFlyLives

• Refugee
  • From the firefly, the red orange glow
« Reply #100 on: April 23, 2010, 02:14:12 AM »
bw, what are you talking about? The U2 fan base did gobble up the album, the sales figures show that, the reason it wasn't selling at the level of HTDAAB is because none of the singles reached a wider audience. NLOTH simply couldn't compete in the current wasteland of pop music in terms of hit songs. Remember that the real, fanatical fan base is actually the minority in terms of worldwide populations etc.

Offline homing_pidgeon

• Wanderer
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2010, 06:18:36 PM »
Remember that the real, fanatical fan base is actually the minority in terms of worldwide populations etc.

That's easy to forget on this forum.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2010, 06:27:31 PM »
Remember that the real, fanatical fan base is actually the minority in terms of worldwide populations etc.

That's easy to forget on this forum.

Who's being fanatical on this forum?   Report them to the moderators. :D

Offline bw

• Refugee
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2010, 06:28:27 PM »
Communard115 - Sorry, I don't buy your position. If true - that the base actually turned out to buy NLOTH and thus that revenue stream was maximized - then U2's core base has contracted over the last eight years.

But I don't believe it. I think the U2 fan base by and large are smart, well-rounded, measured, and as big as ever. However, they aren't trained seals predisposed to buy everything branded U2. They are eager for new music and will gladly invest if the music is moving. After hearing the first few releases of NLOTH, and likely hearing most of the rest of the album on-line, I think much of the base simply balked and said we'll wait to see what the next album brings instead. "Boots" was viewed as a "Vertigo" redux and subsequent releases to that opener seemed disjointed. Simply put - if the product was better, sales would have been better.

Do you think "NLOTH" was of the same quailty as "ATYCLB" or "HTDAAB"?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »
Communard115 - Sorry, I don't buy your position. If true - that the base actually turned out to buy NLOTH and thus that revenue stream was maximized - then U2's core base has contracted over the last eight years.

But I don't believe it. I think the U2 fan base by and large are smart, well-rounded, measured, and as big as ever. However, they aren't trained seals predisposed to buy everything branded U2. They are eager for new music and will gladly invest if the music is moving. After hearing the first few releases of NLOTH, and likely hearing most of the rest of the album on-line, I think much of the base simply balked and said we'll wait to see what the next album brings instead. "Boots" was viewed as a "Vertigo" redux and subsequent releases to that opener seemed disjointed. Simply put - if the product was better, sales would have been better.

Do you think "NLOTH" was of the same quailty as "ATYCLB" or "HTDAAB"?

I'm predisposed to buy every U2 album release, even Passengers.  Does that make me a 'trained seal'? :D

I would say that NLOTH exceeded ATYCLB and HTDAAB in quality and yet sales were considerably lower, which challenges your assumption.