Author Topic: No new U2 album in June  (Read 21898 times)

Boom Cha!

Re: No new U2 album in June
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2010, 09:34:39 PM »
No new album in June? Why am I not surprised?  :D

Now let's wait and see if we actually get a new album at the end of the year.

Offline thetak111

• Stateless
  • The Future Needs A Big Kiss!!!!!!
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2010, 10:46:12 PM »
Ahead of the 2010 tour dates, Paul McGuinness has been talking to Rolling Stone about the chances of a new record this year.

'There certainly won't be an album before June,' he says. 'However before the end of the year is increasingly likely. What would be really quite interesting would be if some of that material were to be released onstage and on record between now and the fall.'

And with just a few weeks before the first 2010 dates, Edge drops some clues about the show: 'I can't imagine that we would come back and continue with that exact same stage show. I think we'll naturally want to develop and adapt it.'

This is getting me excited about new material. Have U2 ever played a new song on stage in the last 20 years? that would be awesome.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2010, 10:54:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Have U2 ever played a new song on stage in the last 20 years?

They played "We Love You" once on the Elevation Tour, but to go back a while, they played a few War songs before the album was released...they actually did this with October and TUF songs before the release of those albums as well.

U2 played The Saints are Coming and Window in the Skies on the final leg of Vertigo too

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2010, 07:14:45 AM »
Have U2 ever played a new song on stage in the last 20 years?

They played "We Love You" once on the Elevation Tour, but to go back a while, they played a few War songs before the album was released...they actually did this with October and TUF songs before the release of those albums as well.

U2 played The Saints are Coming and Window in the Skies on the final leg of Vertigo too
nice :). though i think the last legs of vertigo were AFTER the release of those two songs... ?
ahh well.
seriously, I doubt they'd road test a new song.
what they might do (pure speculation) is when they decide to release the album
they will announce at a certain show that a new song will be played,
drum up a TON of interest -- and release that song as the first single from the new album that night/very soon after that show. i think that might help give the single a bit of a boost.. maybe :D.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2010, 12:19:42 PM »
It should be abundantly clear that they have aborted work on "Songs Of Ascent" by now. That means if they would consider it a finished album, they could put it out almost right away with the online distribution channels available these days. And then, they could press up a bunch of CDs to release a month later or so. Yet, they still lack confidence in their material. Or maybe it's just the label that does. Well, too bad, because I would have bought the album - the CD version that is.

But as there is no new album, I don't.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2010, 05:46:53 PM »
It should be abundantly clear that they have aborted work on "Songs Of Ascent" by now. That means if they would consider it a finished album, they could put it out almost right away with the online distribution channels available these days. And then, they could press up a bunch of CDs to release a month later or so. Yet, they still lack confidence in their material. Or maybe it's just the label that does. Well, too bad, because I would have bought the album - the CD version that is.

But as there is no new album, I don't.
perhaps they've aborted work on SOA-- but it's "abundantly clear" that they are prepared to release new material soon. and they have plenty of it.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2010, 06:38:57 PM »
It should be abundantly clear that they have aborted work on "Songs Of Ascent" by now.

Because the band are famous for putting out their albums quickly? If it's not out after a year, like all their other albums, then they have "clearly" abandoned it.  ;)

Only time will tell for sure.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2010, 06:42:33 PM »
I agree SG- the word "increasingly" bothers me.  Honestly, from a PR spin standpoint that word shouts out to me saying he really has no clue when this will be released- if ever.
Honestly, everyone in the band apears to be working on their own side projects, so I am pretty much thinking that  SOA is actually DOA.  :-(  You  know, they are at a point in their career that they can do this, so whatever.  When they feel like putting something out there they will.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2010, 07:47:01 PM »
I'm starting to think that SOA is indeed finished and they're debating how much to tinker with it.  If they had something ready to go, why release it now?  4th quarter releases tend to sell better anyway.  They'll gradually work some new songs into the setlists and Australasia will hear more of the new stuff than anyone later this fall.  It'll be just like with Zooropa.

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2010, 08:39:42 PM »
Why do they do this?!?!?  >:(

They like toying with our emotions.

They're such teases!  :D :D

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2010, 09:38:48 PM »
I'm starting to think that SOA is indeed finished and they're debating how much to tinker with it.  If they had something ready to go, why release it now?  4th quarter releases tend to sell better anyway.  They'll gradually work some new songs into the setlists and Australasia will hear more of the new stuff than anyone later this fall.  It'll be just like with Zooropa.

Yeah, it sounds like there'll be some kind of new material released with the Rosebowl DVD (Kingdom of Your Love, probably) to whet appetites for an October/November album release. Time will tell, though.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2010, 09:50:08 PM »
i think that's a huge factor in their decision. I speculate that the album is pretty much done, but they want room to breathe/tinker with a few things here and there and stronger sales than nloth-- a december release would give them that.

Offline TheFlyLives

• Refugee
  • From the firefly, the red orange glow
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2010, 10:18:14 PM »
But why release SOA so close to the Achtung remaster? It doesn't seem to click with their usual sales tactics, unless they've decided to try something new. They are probably weighing the sales pros and cons such as risk releasing SOA, which might only appeal to U2 fans, or stick with the Achtung remaster which might reach a wider audience.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2010, 06:23:36 AM »
Only devoted fans buy those pricey remasters.  They easily could release both during the fall.

shockdocta22

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2010, 08:03:41 AM »
My guess is that the not so great sales for NLOTH really hit them (i know about the market, but still they were not great)

I think they are going to be pushing for a Christmas/Holiday release because it guarantees more sales, a more extreme version of when they released Bomb.  I am guessing a late November, early December release