Author Topic: No new U2 album in June  (Read 21727 times)

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
Re: No new U2 album in June
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2010, 09:43:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Perhaps the boys need to free themselves from the constraints of a record deal with a major label and go it alone.  They are past masters at self publicity by now and so don't need the record company machine.  Then they can make the music they truly want to make right now without considering industry demographics and such.

how many albums do they have left on their contract?

I don't know but I'm sure that record companies have some say in how an album is produced and it shouldn't be that way.  With management like Principle on their side why on earth do they need a long term deal with a major?  They have the clout to negotiate single album deals like Prince does and he's never been happier or made as much money in his life since breaking from Warners.  What's the betting they were behind the inclusion of I'll Go Crazy and SUC on NLOTH?

see, i dont know how the record company/contract/management game is played, but the whole Pop being rushed thing seems fishy, i mean its friggin U2, and they're getting pushed around by the record co to release a new album ASAP?

Pop was rushed because they had booked Popmart before the album was finished. It didn't have anything to do with the record company. U2 pretty much set their own release dates, thats why NLOTH was released so late and why HTAAB was released in 2004 instead of 2003.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2010, 12:40:41 AM »
Perhaps the boys need to free themselves from the constraints of a record deal with a major label and go it alone.  They are past masters at self publicity by now and so don't need the record company machine.  Then they can make the music they truly want to make right now without considering industry demographics and such.

how many albums do they have left on their contract?

I don't know but I'm sure that record companies have some say in how an album is produced and it shouldn't be that way.  With management like Principle on their side why on earth do they need a long term deal with a major?  They have the clout to negotiate single album deals like Prince does and he's never been happier or made as much money in his life since breaking from Warners.  What's the betting they were behind the inclusion of I'll Go Crazy and SUC on NLOTH?

see, i dont know how the record company/contract/management game is played, but the whole Pop being rushed thing seems fishy, i mean its friggin U2, and they're getting pushed around by the record co to release a new album ASAP?

Pop was rushed because they had booked Popmart before the album was finished. It didn't have anything to do with the record company. U2 pretty much set their own release dates, thats why NLOTH was released so late and why HTAAB was released in 2004 instead of 2003.
mhm.

Offline TheFlyLives

• Refugee
  • From the firefly, the red orange glow
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2010, 03:28:01 AM »
bw, yes we have given U2 a great life...because we've spent our cash on their albums. I happily purchase every new U2 album, but at the end of the day they are a corporate product and think in dollars and how to best make a profit.

Offline whiteelephant

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2010, 09:35:44 AM »
Considering we didn't get singles for Breathe and Moment of Surrender, perhaps they're planning a second push for No Line (it worked for REM's Automatic for the People and Aerosmith's Get a Grip).  They seemed to give up rather quickly, compared to the numerous singles for Pop.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2010, 01:05:38 PM »
This may have been mentioned already, but is it of any significance at all that this interview -particularly the bit about new stuff by the end of the year - is on the official u2 website? As in, its not just a rumour that we're looking into, its actually an 'official' statement (even if its just speculation)?

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2010, 12:33:32 AM »
bw, yes we have given U2 a great life...because we've spent our cash on their albums. I happily purchase every new U2 album, but at the end of the day they are a corporate product and think in dollars and how to best make a profit.

Why should this matter to you if you're a fan?

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2010, 01:05:43 AM »
This may have been mentioned already, but is it of any significance at all that this interview -particularly the bit about new stuff by the end of the year - is on the official u2 website? As in, its not just a rumour that we're looking into, its actually an 'official' statement (even if its just speculation)?

Paul McGuinness said it to Rolling Stone, as we reported on our home page.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2010, 02:14:26 AM »
i read many contradictions in those posts... how can some people state that they are a corporate product and think in dollars and how to best make a profit, and want U2 to listen to their fans??
the day U2 do what they fans want they will be dead and buried. i think once an artist starts doing stuff according to his audience, that is when an artist is really sold out, complete loss of integrity! and being sold out has nothing to do, in my humble opinion, with how much money you make or what means one use to sell or to get his music to be listened to.
I've been listening U2 from the end of the 80s. i've got all their albums, bootlegs, dvds and stuff... and the only reason why i loved them from the start, and still loving them today, is that U2 never did what i wanted or expected them to do. i may have sometimes reserves about what they are doing, but i always try to understand and accept what they are doing, whether it is new material or delays in releasing a new album. i'm not trying like some on here to rewrite the songs. that's another topic! but to those who think that U2 should have done this or that with a song or an album. if you were fans (maybe you are) of picasso or dali would you consider redrawing their paintings????
i'm sure they got pretty good reasons not to release an album early this. and please! bono, edge, larry and adam, never ever lister to your fans when it comes to artistic directions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2010, 03:04:59 AM »
i read many contradictions in those posts... how can some people state that they are a corporate product and think in dollars and how to best make a profit, and want U2 to listen to their fans??
the day U2 do what they fans want they will be dead and buried. i think once an artist starts doing stuff according to his audience, that is when an artist is really sold out, complete loss of integrity! and being sold out has nothing to do, in my humble opinion, with how much money you make or what means one use to sell or to get his music to be listened to.
I've been listening U2 from the end of the 80s. i've got all their albums, bootlegs, dvds and stuff... and the only reason why i loved them from the start, and still loving them today, is that U2 never did what i wanted or expected them to do. i may have sometimes reserves about what they are doing, but i always try to understand and accept what they are doing, whether it is new material or delays in releasing a new album. i'm not trying like some on here to rewrite the songs. that's another topic! but to those who think that U2 should have done this or that with a song or an album. if you were fans (maybe you are) of picasso or dali would you consider redrawing their paintings????
i'm sure they got pretty good reasons not to release an album early this. and please! bono, edge, larry and adam, never ever lister to your fans when it comes to artistic directions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's not a contradiction in any way. whoever stated that simply stated their opinion on the matter, then what they wantto happen.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2010, 03:28:09 AM »
oh yes it is a contradiction! if they make music according to what the fans want, then they will be really a corporate entity. that's how big coporation works, wheter it is a fizzy drink, a tv station, or music technologies... they're selling us that stuff because they think that it is what WE want as consumers. and to me U2 aren't working that way, not yet anyway.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2010, 03:37:10 AM »
oh yes it is a contradiction! if they make music according to what the fans want, then they will be really a corporate entity. that's how big coporation works, wheter it is a fizzy drink, a tv station, or music technologies... they're selling us that stuff because they think that it is what WE want as consumers. and to me U2 aren't working that way, not yet anyway.
right.. that's what you meant. well see, in the opinions of many here, U2 being corporate would be U2 making music to cater for the general public, not the fans, in order to get more more fans (more younger fans , specifically). another way some people veiw U2 being corporate is U2 trying to maximise the amount of money they get out of say, maybe, a DVD release, rather than the experience they provide to their loyal fans.

the band pursuing their own artistic direction wouldn't make them corporate, as you say, yes.
but the problem is the band is doing the opposite-- letting non fans, teens in general, dictate (to varying degrees) their artistic direction. why? because if they can appeal to them, they get more money than if they appeal to existing fans.
That's a corporate pursuit.

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2010, 03:53:15 AM »
 U2 being corporate is U2 trying to maximise the amount of money they get out of say, maybe, a DVD release, rather than the experience they provide to their loyal fans.
but the problem is the band is doing the opposite-- letting non fans, teens in general, dictate (to varying degrees) their artistic direction. why? because if they can appeal to them, they get more money than if they appeal to existing fans.
--------------

you really think they did that with the last album when there is barely a single on it???? not that the songs arent good enough to be singles, i think none, apart from Get on your Boots fit the single format. i really do not think they tried to maximise profit with the last album? i don't believe one second that U2 made no line on the horizon to cater for the general public, because it takes a good knowledge of U2 history to get into that album and understand it properly. i would not qualify No Line as an accessible album.
and about the dvd release, well, if a tour promotes an album, this last dvd release without a doubt is here to promote the tour, and i see nothing wrong with that. if U2 work as a corporation, they all are cause i don't know any other band that's not doing the same thing. the only difference is that u2 is alwyas in the spotlight, and are easy to target when it comes to criticize the business side of music. but most artist do release albums following up with a dvd or a live cd... they're all on the same boat to me

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2010, 04:04:05 AM »
U2 being corporate is U2 trying to maximise the amount of money they get out of say, maybe, a DVD release, rather than the experience they provide to their loyal fans.
--------------

you really think they did that with the last album when there is barely a single on it???? not that the songs arent good enough to be singles, i think none, apart from Get on your Boots fit the single format. i really do not think they tried to maximise profit with the last album? i don't believe one second that U2 made no line on the horizon to cater for the general public, because it takes a good knowledge of U2 history to get into that album and understand it properly. i would not qualify No Line as an accessible album.
and about the dvd release, well, if a tour promotes an album, this last dvd release without a doubt is here to promote the tour, and i see nothing wrong with that. if U2 work as a corporation, they all are cause i don't know any other band that's not doing the same thing. the only difference is that u2 is alwyas in the spotlight, and are easy to target when it comes to criticize the business side of music. but most artist do release albums following up with a dvd or a live cd... they're all on the same boat to me

the argument of a lot of people i've seen while just scanning the boards here is that nloth wasn't as daring as it could have been. that the more meditative, more experimental and more challenging tracks were left off.
people often cite winter and kingdom of your love as songs that were left off in favour of more radio friendly alternatives-- most notably Crazy tonight and Stand Up Comedy.
Crazy tonight was co produced (to what extent I do not know) by will.i.am of the black eyed peas. this suggests U2 were targeting the younger market, getting a Pop legend to tinker with the track. the fact that Bono directly adresses "boys and girls" in this song, aside from being rather awkward sounding for a band known for it's grandeur, again suggests that the target demographic of this song is young teens-- a demographic which is dominated by Pop lovers.

The dvd aspect-- the fact that they're RELEASING the dvd-- that's catering to loyal fans, there's no problem anyone has with that. the fact that they're cutting off breathe? and one of the reasons for doing so is that U2 know that loyal long time fans will pay the extra dollars to get the deluxe edition which it's on? that's seen , (quite reasonably so) as a move which shows U2 cares more about their money than their fans.

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2010, 11:14:40 AM »
Simple question - if U2 should not care about what their fan base thinks, which I find a irrational, then why tour? Why release music for purchase and consumption? Why pose for magazine covers? Why do entertainment shows like, say, Letterman? Why have a manager?

Sorry, U2 are big business and I feel pretty safe saying the entire band, McGuinness included obviously, recognize this. Their music is their product and they certainly go to the hilt marketing it for distribution.

It's a bit laughable to trump up charges of "sellout" when U2 are not U2 without their incredible, loyal customers...errr...fans...

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2010, 11:19:48 AM »
I enjoy being a U2 customer. :)