Author Topic: Enough with Bono the activist  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
Enough with Bono the activist
« on: April 19, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »
Just a rant...I can't take any more evangelizing about Africa/DATA/One campaign globetrotting stuff.  I want to hear about the band!!! U2!!!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:58:38 AM by StrongGirl »

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
Re: Enough with Bono the activist
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:08:28 PM »
So don't listen and/or read any articles about it.  I find it pretty easy to ignore Bono when he goes on ad nauseam about various things.  I generally support what he's doing, but sometimes I get tired of hearing about it.  This is just part of who Bono is, and I don't see him changing. 

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
Vent about Bono's activism, by all means...we all want more news on the U2 front! But maybe it will bug you less if you set aside a moment to reflect on how lucky you are that your problem is being tired of hearing Bono talk about children suffering from things like malaria, rather than, you know, actually suffering from malaria yourself...a disease which, if you were for example a child in northern Tanzania, you'd have a 41 percent chance of contracting.

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 11:26:57 PM »
I may have a different perspective after seeing them in Utah and Anaheim 2x in the GA's...I'll be on cloud nine and not so rant-y!

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:45:58 PM »
Agreed. I hate most celebrity-activists.

What drives me crazy is when people find out that I'm a U2 fan, they either 1. Ask me why Bono does what he does/attack Bono or 2. Tell me how wonderful/hot Bono is.  I then have to remind them that U2 is a BAND. Bono's personal extra-curricular activities are just that.

I just ignore him. Except when I'm singing along to R&H and he says "Am I bugging you?" and I say "Yes! Okay Edge, play the blues!"  :D

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
  • Too much is not enough...
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 12:24:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Vent about Bono's activism, by all means...we all want more news on the U2 front! But maybe it will bug you less if you set aside a moment to reflect on how lucky you are that your problem is being tired of hearing Bono talk about children suffering from things like malaria, rather than, you know, actually suffering from malaria yourself...a disease which, if you were for example a child in northern Tanzania, you'd have a 41 percent chance of contracting.

Right on, Bloom! We are so very spoiled in most parts of the world that we get annoyed when a man takes time away from entertaining us so he can save some lives.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 04:45:59 AM »
it's a personal thing. it clearly bothers some. myself? not really. i've come to accept it's part of, (as someone above put very well), where he's at. im proud of him for it. as "annoying" as it can be, as RNRG and Bloom kindly reminded us that it's a damn important issue, and a real one too. people dying vs a guy talking about an aids organisation being annoying... one issue is obviously more important than the other.
I understand the... "side effects", shall we say, of his campaigning can be frustrating to Bono, U2, and U2 fans, but yeah, in the end, what's important is it's helping save lives. if he saves just one life, or helps save one, then isn't it all worth it?

Offline ffishcakes2u

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 06:47:26 AM »
This is the longest diversional activity in the history of mankind.The admiration/infatuation I enjoyed was slowly sucked right out of my being by all those threatening letters of recommendation I recieved.Every action a reaction.....so sorry it did.  So When will bono go to china and tell them how to save Africa?US and Europe are both corrupt and broke  the only country investing in the black continent with anything of significance and with the goal of taking the natural resources is China.....Bono on another great wall waving
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:01:16 AM by ffishcakes2u »

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 07:43:53 AM »
Yeah, who cares about those kids facing starvation he's helped to save and inspired others to do so? The real pivotal issue is, "is he annoying?" ::) FFS!

Offline ffishcakes2u

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 08:07:31 AM »
Im not implying he is a diversional activity or annoying he is just not that into articulation when it comes to me !  Im a control freak I tune out and look the other way instead of being bothered.When one person lives on the moon and the other on jupiter can they possibly annoy and bother each other in any meaningful way.Hung up on my opiniion of him?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:18:17 AM by ffishcakes2u »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 10:28:49 AM »
Every one has the right to feel the way they do. I am not here to attack another person's opinion. But I've got one thing to say...."How long must we sing this song?"   If you are a U2 fan, you are just going to have to suffer through Bono's "annoying" activism. Don't you realize after all these years, he is not going to change and give up on Africa? Over 20 years ago , he went to Ethiopia with Ali where a man begged him to take his young son with him back to Ireland so he could live. The haunting eyes of that boy is something Bono never forgot. He didn't take the boy obviously. He could have walked away from the whole experience and went on just being a rock star. But he didn't. He has done something that most people don't. He made a life long commitment to this cause because he was there. He saw how bad things were with  his own eyes. Remember-he started to do all this work way before he was as famous as he is now. This brings me to the old saying no good deed goes unpunished. How true that is! How this man gets attacked the way he does for showing simple human kindness and compassion to those way less fortunate is beyond me. I will never understand it. The crap that some of these rock stars and celebrities pull often goes without any criticism. That is just unbelievable. By the way, I am not nominating Bono for sainthood either. He is human and not perfect like everyone else on this planet. But he is doing the best he can. Quite frankly,  he doesn't really care how much criticism he gets. It has never stopped him before and it will not going forward.

I understand the frustration fans have with the disruption in U2's music because of all this, but it is not going to change. So if you want to remain  U2 fan and your are not a fan of his activism, then I believe you'll have to simply accept it or not be a U2 fan. It is a package deal. At least that is the way I see it.  You see, I work directly with women in a village in Africa now because of Bono and although I have not seen any of it with my own eyes, I have become close to the situation through their stories. So I see it the way Bono sees it. I know not everyone sees it the same way. But that is where I am coming from. I can tell you first hand that the people of Africa love Bono for what he has done for them. Things have improved a lot since ONE, DATA and (RED) have been formed.  These vibrant ,  intelligent  and loving people are surviving, getting healthy and going on to get educated. They will give back to this world. They want to.  That is what Bono set out to do and it is happening.     Well, I suppose that is enough of my 2 cents  :D ;)

Offline ffishcakes2u

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:31:45 AM »
 dear GM we all sing our own songs and do different things...want to see me sing.... go to youtube  search johnvic2  Im at  1:57 wearing shades  doing my thing in Laogange

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 12:07:53 PM »
If I can offer a motive for my post...my feeling that Bono has less passion for U2, the music, touring, etc., than his activism, however important it may be. I would like to see an NYT op-ed about something U2 related. If not for U2, Bono wouldn't have a platform to be an activist.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Every one has the right to feel the way they do. I am not here to attack another person's opinion. But I've got one thing to say...."How long must we sing this song?"   If you are a U2 fan, you are just going to have to suffer through Bono's "annoying" activism. Don't you realize after all these years, he is not going to change and give up on Africa? Over 20 years ago , he went to Ethiopia with Ali where a man begged him to take his young son with him back to Ireland so he could live. The haunting eyes of that boy is something Bono never forgot. He didn't take the boy obviously. He could have walked away from the whole experience and went on just being a rock star. But he didn't. He has done something that most people don't. He made a life long commitment to this cause because he was there. He saw how bad things were with  his own eyes. Remember-he started to do all this work way before he was as famous as he is now. This brings me to the old saying no good deed goes unpunished. How true that is! How this man gets attacked the way he does for showing simple human kindness and compassion to those way less fortunate is beyond me. I will never understand it. The crap that some of these rock stars and celebrities pull often goes without any criticism. That is just unbelievable. By the way, I am not nominating Bono for sainthood either. He is human and not perfect like everyone else on this planet. But he is doing the best he can. Quite frankly,  he doesn't really care how much criticism he gets. It has never stopped him before and it will not going forward.

I understand the frustration fans have with the disruption in U2's music because of all this, but it is not going to change. So if you want to remain  U2 fan and your are not a fan of his activism, then I believe you'll have to simply accept it or not be a U2 fan. It is a package deal. At least that is the way I see it.  You see, I work directly with women in a village in Africa now because of Bono and although I have not seen any of it with my own eyes, I have become close to the situation through their stories. So I see it the way Bono sees it. I know not everyone sees it the same way. But that is where I am coming from. I can tell you first hand that the people of Africa love Bono for what he has done for them. Things have improved a lot since ONE, DATA and (RED) have been formed.  These vibrant ,  intelligent  and loving people are surviving, getting healthy and going on to get educated. They will give back to this world. They want to.  That is what Bono set out to do and it is happening.     Well, I suppose that is enough of my 2 cents  :D ;)

Offline ffishcakes2u

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »
I have been working in a 3rd world country long before bono new the definition of poverty so I do have a tad of credability and you thought I made junk up!

Offline ffishcakes2u

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 12:46:18 PM »
and I still like my posts at the top