Author Topic: Enough with Bono the activist  (Read 4266 times)

Offline ffishcakes2u

• Babyface
Re: Enough with Bono the activist
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 04:00:35 PM »
oh no not the love thing again.......

Offline halljoh2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Lets see colours that have never been seen.
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 06:10:07 PM »
If because of Bono, one more child in Africa is alive, or one more family is not torn apart by AIDS, or one more person breaks the cycle of poverty through micro-loan financing, then its worth it to me. 

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
I agree, even saving one child or saving something counts a lot.

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 06:27:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If I can offer a motive for my post...my feeling that Bono has less passion for U2, the music, touring, etc., than his activism, however important it may be. I would like to see an NYT op-ed about something U2 related. If not for U2, Bono wouldn't have a platform to be an activist.

I don't think many people who read the NYT would be interested in a U2-related op-ed.  Unfortunately for us. 

Offline ffishcakes2u

• Babyface
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 08:58:15 PM »
looking for my version of all because of you?

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 11:08:53 PM »
If because of Bono, one more child in Africa is alive, or one more family is not torn apart by AIDS, or one more person breaks the cycle of poverty through micro-loan financing, then its worth it to me. 

I agree. I want U2 to make new music as much as the next fan but if it comes down to a new U2 album or progress in the fight against HIV/AIDS and poverty, I'll choose that one.

Zoostazione, you are correct-U2 does give Bono the platform to be an activist. I am grateful for that actually. Though I know there must be many times the other band members get tired of this, I still think they support Bono. They would never stay together if they didn't.

ffishcakes-no one is attacking your credibility or accusing you of making stuff up. We are all here to discuss and post our opinions however different they may be.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 12:29:39 AM »
looking for my version of all because of you?
there. attention. happy?

Sg-- I agree. though it's disappointingly difficult for me to say, I'd rather a progress in the AIDS field than a new U2 album. this is probably due to the fact that I have never been involved directly with any of these organisations, or aids sufferers. but regardless of whether you've been involved or not, facts are facts.
if one of us were taken hostage, say, in a western nation (as the majority of us are from western nations), then the police/appropriate authorities would do the best they could to save our lives.
It's basic respect for the sanctity of human life. and it should be extended to those who are "held hostage" bye aids and other diseases. everything possible should be done. if Bono's helping, that's a positive thing, no matter how cynical a spin you wish to put on it.

virgin_prune

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 04:36:32 AM »
For me, it's not WHAT bono does but HOW he does it.

No one could argue that saving children's lives isn't a good idea.

But bono, please stop being so smug about it. It is possible to campaign about things in a quiet, humble way, out of the public eye.

Once again, it seems like bono is doing this as a career move to heighten his public profile. This is partly why a lot of people really dislike him these days.

Bono is as annoying as people like Madonna who like to have their pictures taken, cuddling African kids and adopting them.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:38:07 AM by virgin_prune »

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 04:48:10 AM »

But bono, please stop being so smug about it. It is possible to campaign about things in a quiet, humble way, out of the public eye.

Once again, it seems like bono is doing this as a career move to heighten his public profile. This is partly why a lot of people really dislike him these days.

Bono is as annoying as people like Madonna who like to have their pictures taken, cuddling African kids and adopting them.
good point. one of my friends' only issue with bono is this. I just think it's a big part of his life, he's a big part of the band, and so naturally, it's gonna be talked about. also, by being in the public eye, he can more effectively raise awareness... doing it OUT of the public eye would almost defeat the advantage his celebrity gives him to tackle these issues.

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 06:37:51 AM »

See, this...this mystifies me. I've paid A LOT of attention to Bono's activism, partly as a fan of course, and partly because I'm studying to work in the development field and I'm curious...and I can't think of a single instance of him coming across as smug. There's been once or twice where he's been a little self-congratulatory on the amount of debt forgiveness that's taken place (which is rather a lot) since his movement got heavily involved in campaigning for it, but he's always careful to credit the movement, never himself. During his recent trip to Africa, he gave an interview on Kenyan TV in which he wondered aloud if he had done harm as well as good in drawing attention to Africa's suffering rather than its potential. Then he wrote a column for the New York Times in which he was careful to put the emphasis entirely on Africa's potential. Smug, indeed.

I know I'm probably not going to change anyone's mind here; people believe what they want to believe, and of course I'm no different...but this is something I believe pretty strongly, and sometimes I can't keep my mouth shut about it. I guess what I'm saying is that to me, unless you're really very cynical, the notion that he's doing this to boost his career is kind of far-fetched. Of COURSE he gets accused of that left right and center, because celebrity activism in general isn't cool with the pop culture police, and Bono is a celebrity who engages in a lot of activism. But that's just it - it's probably hurt his career more than helped it.

Just for a moment, consider the possibility that Bono is motivated by the fact that he actually believes it's important to try to get more people to care about the number of people who live in poverty, who die in the millions each year because they don't have the strength or the resources to fight off diseases. As aqua points out, if you want to try to get more people to care about something, you sort of have to talk about it in public.

Whatever his motivation, I, for one, am glad he does what he does, as heaven knows getting people to think beyond themselves is no easy task. And Madonna can be photographed with as many African kids as she likes, too, for that matter. The death toll of Haiti happens every few weeks in Africa, and we NEVER hear about it, because it's not news. Heck, we don't even hear much about Haiti anymore, because that's stopped being news too. People are far more concerned about travelers stranded in airports. Even on a fan forum, some people seem to care more about losing points with their friends because Bono makes U2 look uncool, or about the possibility that his work might get in the way of the music, which is what matters to THEM. Of course it's natural to care more about your own life than someone on the other side of the world who you know nothing about; but those deaths aren't just numbers, every single one of them represents a human story, devastated lives. And it's not some inevitable thing that can't be helped. If more people cared, more would be done to stop it - that's a fact. So maybe it's a losing battle...but that doesn't mean it's not a fight worth fighting.

Right, I promise I'll shut up now for a while.

virgin_prune

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 08:49:17 AM »

See, this...this mystifies me. I've paid A LOT of attention to Bono's activism, partly as a fan of course, and partly because I'm studying to work in the development field and I'm curious...and I can't think of a single instance of him coming across as smug. There's been once or twice where he's been a little self-congratulatory on the amount of debt forgiveness that's taken place (which is rather a lot) since his movement got heavily involved in campaigning for it, but he's always careful to credit the movement, never himself. During his recent trip to Africa, he gave an interview on Kenyan TV in which he wondered aloud if he had done harm as well as good in drawing attention to Africa's suffering rather than its potential. Then he wrote a column for the New York Times in which he was careful to put the emphasis entirely on Africa's potential. Smug, indeed.

I know I'm probably not going to change anyone's mind here; people believe what they want to believe, and of course I'm no different...but this is something I believe pretty strongly, and sometimes I can't keep my mouth shut about it. I guess what I'm saying is that to me, unless you're really very cynical, the notion that he's doing this to boost his career is kind of far-fetched. Of COURSE he gets accused of that left right and center, because celebrity activism in general isn't cool with the pop culture police, and Bono is a celebrity who engages in a lot of activism. But that's just it - it's probably hurt his career more than helped it.

Just for a moment, consider the possibility that Bono is motivated by the fact that he actually believes it's important to try to get more people to care about the number of people who live in poverty, who die in the millions each year because they don't have the strength or the resources to fight off diseases. As aqua points out, if you want to try to get more people to care about something, you sort of have to talk about it in public.

Whatever his motivation, I, for one, am glad he does what he does, as heaven knows getting people to think beyond themselves is no easy task. And Madonna can be photographed with as many African kids as she likes, too, for that matter. The death toll of Haiti happens every few weeks in Africa, and we NEVER hear about it, because it's not news. Heck, we don't even hear much about Haiti anymore, because that's stopped being news too. People are far more concerned about travelers stranded in airports. Even on a fan forum, some people seem to care more about losing points with their friends because Bono makes U2 look uncool, or about the possibility that his work might get in the way of the music, which is what matters to THEM. Of course it's natural to care more about your own life than someone on the other side of the world who you know nothing about; but those deaths aren't just numbers, every single one of them represents a human story, devastated lives. And it's not some inevitable thing that can't be helped. If more people cared, more would be done to stop it - that's a fact. So maybe it's a losing battle...but that doesn't mean it's not a fight worth fighting.

Right, I promise I'll shut up now for a while.

I hear you Brother - but he could still do it and be way less annoying.

In the end, I'm sure he couldn't care less what you or I think. And of course, what we think doesn't change anything.

But, this is why a lot of people dislike the man. And why much as I've loved U2's music up until HDDAAB, bono has really turned me off the band I used to love.

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 12:02:58 PM »
Thing is, there's another 360 leg coming up, and what I want to hear is Bono and Co. jazzed up, in the press/articles, about the setlist, stage, playing to the U2 faithful.Who doesn't want progress in AIDS, starvation, Africa? I do, we all do. In fact, I don't want to hear Bono at all right now, except to hear that he's in the studio or rehearsing One Tree Hill.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 12:09:30 PM »
Has anybody ever heard of the phrase 'Multi-tasking'?

virgin_prune

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 02:05:20 AM »
Has anybody ever heard of the phrase 'Multi-tasking'?

Yes - but you don't have to be a pompous, irritating t**t while you do it.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »
I guess what my problem is, is that I know that the situation across Africa is dire. However, there are many dire situations all over the world (human trafficking, child prostitution, civil war, domestic violence, homelessness, the garbage vortex in the Pacific ....you get the idea). But no one cause is more worthy than another, and Bono’s attitude comes across as HIS causes are THE most important causes EVER.  I choose which causes I support. I don't need Bono to remind me about Africa over and over and over again, especially when I just want him to write songs and sing.

Another issue is when Bono scolds and shames first world leaders for not giving enough money to Africa.  A rock star telling a democratically elected leader what his government’s priorities should be and how to spend his citizens’ tax dollars - This is the epitome of sanctimoniousness, and I know this is what turns a lot of people off Bono.

Finally, like any widespread problem, the issues in Africa are complex and not going to change overnight;  Bono kind of acts like they will. This is not raising money to replace a school roof, this is educating a entire continent and hundreds of different cultures.

I appreciate his passion for his chosen cause, but tone it down.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 11:59:44 PM by GardenTart »