Author Topic: Zoo Tours question.....  (Read 2309 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Zoo Tours question.....
« on: April 20, 2010, 12:59:13 PM »
okay so i've never really understood this.....he has the characters the Fly, Mirrorball Man, MacPhisto. He was the fly during all the shows, but then during the encore he would come out as either of the other 2? I listened to a "Zoomerang" show from London '93 today where he was MacPhisto, so was he MirrorMan during the Zoo TV tour encores? or........am i way off?  ???

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Zoo Tours question.....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:07:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
okay so i've never really understood this.....he has the characters the Fly, Mirrorball Man, MacPhisto. He was the fly during all the shows, but then during the encore he would come out as either of the other 2? I listened to a "Zoomerang" show from London '93 today where he was MacPhisto, so was he MirrorMan during the Zoo TV tour encores? or........am i way off?  ???

Well, the London show was part of the 'Zooropa' European tour but you're spot on about the rest. ;)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 01:12:52 PM »

Mirrorball Man was for the US, Macphisto was for Europe and elsewhere.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:16:20 PM »

But did Mirrorball Man star in the European leg of the indoor arena Zoo TV shows?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:19:59 PM »

But did Mirrorball Man star in the European leg of the indoor arena Zoo TV shows?

Hmmm, not sure. I just remember reading in U2ATEOTW that Macphisto was created for European audiences in particular, so I guess I just assumed that MM was used in America.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 01:46:05 PM »

Hmmm, not sure. I just remember reading in U2ATEOTW that Macphisto was created for European audiences in particular, so I guess I just assumed that MM was used in America.

Yea i cant see the Americans <im in Texas> "getting" macphisto, that does seem very euro. of him. besides MMan was a sort of televangelist, and i know that used to be huge here in the states, is that stuff big in euro.? or was it?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 01:58:30 PM »

Yea i cant see the Americans <im in Texas> "getting" macphisto, that does seem very euro. of him. besides MMan was a sort of televangelist, and i know that used to be huge here in the states, is that stuff big in euro.? or was it?

I've ascertained that the Mirrorball Man appeared during the encores of the European indoor arena Zoo TV shows.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 04:41:30 PM »
I've ascertained that the Mirrorball Man appeared during the encores of the European indoor arena Zoo TV shows.

OK so Zoo TV = the Fly , MMan ONLY.

after the release of Zooropa, tour = the Fly, Macphisto, only?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 04:47:15 PM »

OK so Zoo TV = the Fly , MMan ONLY.

after the release of Zooropa, tour = the Fly, Macphisto, only?

Yep.

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 07:43:43 PM »
Yeah, Mirrorball Man was around for the first 3 legs of Zoo TV:  1st North American leg (arenas), 1st European leg and Outside Broadcast (NA stadiums).  MacPhisto was Zooropa and Zoomerang.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 08:25:23 PM »
is it crazy to want to go as MacPhisto for halloween?

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 08:29:54 PM »
is it crazy to want to go as MacPhisto for halloween?

I'm sure other people have done it before.

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 08:23:02 PM »
Quite the contrary. It's not that the US wouldn't of gotten MacPhisto, but that most Europeans wouldn't of gotten Mirrorball Man. TV evangelists were an "innovation" of America that was very new to the rest of the world at the time.

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 09:15:39 AM »
From Until the End of the World by Bill Flannigan

-------

The extramusical aspects of the [Zooropa] shows will be quite different from last year's [Zoo TV] tour.  Just as Ned and Maurice have updated the on-screen videos to reflect the current confused situation in Europe, Bono is constructing a new character to play on-stage during the encores. The Mirrorball Man who closed the 1992 shows was an American TV evangelist/used car salesman/game show host in a cowboy hat throwing dollars around. There's no sense in using that character in Europe.  So Bono sets about trying to construct a European equivalent and starts singing "Desire" in a voice that sounds like an aging British music hall entertainer, or a faded Shakespearean actor touring the provinces.

Fintan Fitzgerald ... comes in one day with a hilarious pair of 1970s platform boots, spray-painted glittering gold.

But it's Gavin Friday who comes in ... and demands to know ... "Who was the Mirrorball Man really supposed to be?" 

Bono says, "Well, the devil."  "Then," Gavin says, "he should wear horns."

Bono thinks that's ridiculous, it's too blatant.  But Fintan secures some red horns and when Bono tries them on with whiteface and lipstick and platform shoes and aged British voice, he likes what he sees: he sees Mr. Macphisto - the devil as the last rock star.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
Thanks for reminding me what a great read U2 ATEOTW is.