Author Topic: What do you think it means?  (Read 2596 times)

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
  • U2 has disappointed me. My entire collection 4sale
What do you think it means?
« on: April 24, 2010, 01:07:35 AM »
I've been reading like 100 books about U2, Bono and the stories behind the songs...  But what do real people think they mean?  Like, I'll go first...
Staring at the Sun:  Those of us who are preoccupied with Jesus will keep a focus on Him and His mission instead of going out into the world to do what He would do -- charitable and life saving work.  We might be satisfied with Staring at the Son, when we should return back inside to get His work done.

Any interpretation is fare game!  What do YOU think...?

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
Re: What do you think it means?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:09:09 PM »
I always figured Staring at the Sun was about being okay with complacency. You're stubborn and just won't budge, so you're happy to go blind.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:23:03 AM »
hmm, yknow, i was never much into looking at the song as a whole, then trying to figure out it's meaning.
LINES were the things that caught me. it's lines that I try to interpret. I (very surprisingly) just realised I dont care much for the meaning of a song.
just something i realised, just something i'm putting out there. :) nice thread by the way.

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
  • Too much is not enough...
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:07:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
hmm, yknow, i was never much into looking at the song as a whole, then trying to figure out it's meaning.
LINES were the things that caught me. it's lines that I try to interpret. I (very surprisingly) just realised I dont care much for the meaning of a song.
just something i realised, just something i'm putting out there. :) nice thread by the way.

But you can get so much more out of the meaning of a line, or make sense of one that otherwise doesn't, if you understand the overall theme(s) of the song. Just sayin'.  :D

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:16:35 AM »

But you can get so much more out of the meaning of a line, or make sense of one that otherwise doesn't, if you understand the overall theme(s) of the song. Just sayin'.  :D
.... very true :D :D.
*.. hides in corner*

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 07:21:19 PM »
I always thought it was about sticking your head in the sand and pretending that everything in the world is ok, when it is really not, but you would rather go blind by staring at the sun so you can't see these bad things

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
  • Too much is not enough...
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 12:08:56 AM »

.... very true :D :D.
*.. hides in corner*

No need to hide  :D Just trying to enrich your experience...

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 05:56:26 PM »
What other songs do you have personal meanings for?

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 12:32:14 PM »

I thought Staring At The Sun was also about Norn Ireland, the peace negotiations were going on in 1997 for the Good Friday Agreement in 1998.

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 08:01:15 PM »
I think that when Bono sings about God he uses the pronoun he, but whenever he sings about the Holy Spirt he uses she (???)