Author Topic: Ticket distribution for new tour  (Read 4817 times)

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
Ticket distribution for new tour
« on: January 21, 2009, 05:22:24 PM »
Anyone any idea of how the ticket sales will be done this time around. Will u2.com members get preference?

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Ticket distribution for new tour
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 06:03:34 PM »
The U2 fanclub membership benefit of participation in presales, was removed for renewals in late 2005 and has not been mentioned thus far as a membership benefit.

Of course they can change their minds on this and give fanclub members presale access, but the difference between now and early 2005 was back then members knew they would participate in a presale, wheras now they don't have any such guarantee.

I was thinking about this a few days ago, and came to the conclusion that there are a few options:

1) No presale participation for fanclub members - I think this to be unlikely
2) Presale participation as was the case for the 2005 tour tickets - this is probably more likely
3) This is the option I hope the band don't go down, but lots of other bands have - it's the introduction of a "tiered"  fanclub membership, this would involve 2 or 3 membership levels, like for example Tier 1 40 bucks - get fee cd and website access, Tier 2 80 bucks get cd and website access plus presale access.

There is one potentially huge influential factor in the mix this time that wasn't there in 2005 - Live Nation, they did a multi million deal with them last year. We don't know exactly what they have signed away, but this will probably become apparent when the tour and ticket details are announced.

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 03:26:01 PM »
The fact they are delaying renewals makes me wonder whether you option 3 will come about, I hope not though!

streetmission

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:57:40 PM »
Watch.  The renewal gift will be a presale. ::)

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 04:15:11 AM »
Could be possible as they are taking NEW members but not renewals for continuing members

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 04:21:32 AM »
I would be happy with that. Anything to avoid the melee and stramash on ticketmaster or live nation .....surprised at how quiet everyone is about the tour. Personally can't sleep at nights for worrying about not getting any tickets ! lol

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 04:54:20 AM »
Many people are concentrating on the album rather than the tour. For me both are of equal importance, the album is the body, but the tour is where the U2 body breathes.

Theres a discussion on here:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 08:43:23 AM »
Many people are concentrating on the album rather than the tour. For me both are of equal importance, the album is the body, but the tour is where the U2 body breathes.

Theres a discussion on here:

Nicely put Falling!  I am dreading the scramble for tickets, but maybe the recession will put a lot of people who are not avid fans like us off from spending their hard earned cash on concert tickets

mariamontreal

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 12:01:45 PM »
So true, the album is one thing but it's the tour ( concert) that's the life of U2. I too am worried about the ticket stress that lies ahead . It's so nerve racking .Despite the economic situation , people will still get the cash somehow if they have to.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 02:14:03 PM »
I'm just worried where to go buy my tickets since its with Live Nation I don't know how they work, if you have to buy them online or what?  At least with Ticketmaster I went to the box office and camped out! 

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 03:52:30 PM »
They will be available online on Ticketmaster. Live nation are working on their own ticketing website, but apparently it's not ready yet, so we will all be buying on Ticketmaster as before. Camping out is an option but if you are doing this, have a plan B - have someone else try online or on the phone(people forget about the phone option and it's worked well for me), have your mobile/cell with you.

It's all a bit premature, no need to worry, let's wait and see what happens, it should be a few weeks before we know the details.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 03:57:54 PM »
Years back before the internet, my husband used to call Ticketmaster in some state in say the Midwest when Springsteen tickets went on sale here in NY. The phone lines were busy here but he got right through there and just purchased tickets for the NY show from that state. I don't know if that is really something worthwhile to know now but back then it worked! Nobody thought of doing that. When you live in a big city like New York, tickets are always harder to get.

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 04:34:27 PM »
Ye we used to do the same thing hear in England. most of the big box offices you could never get through  but we would always phone Blackburn king Georges Hall a small box office near us. never had any trouble .
Unfortunately it doesn't work anymore!
so unless we get pre-sale the mad scramble for tickets like everyone else   :(

Offline rlj1010

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 07:29:23 PM »
Live nation are working on their own ticketing website, but apparently it's not ready yet, so we will all be buying on Ticketmaster as before.

Well, not exactly.  LiveNation's new ticketing system actually is up and running, and has been since the beginning of January.  I've already bought a few shows through them.

For events that LiveNation promotes AND for which they also own the venue too, they are sold thru LN's new in-house ticketing system.  The system is available now.

But for events that LiveNation only promotes, but for which they do not own the venue, then LiveNation will redirect to Ticketmaster.

LiveNation basically owns the majority of the outdoor amphitheaters, plus a handful of small clubs and theaters.

U2's tour will probably be indoor arenas and/or huge stadiums.... neither of which are owned by LiveNation. 
So therefore, LN will probably have to let Ticketmaster handle the ticketing for the U2 tour.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »
Thanks for posting that rlj1010.  I was wondering if it would be through Live Nation directly but apparently not.  Oh well, back to Ticketbastard.  I had some slight hope there for awhile.  Sigh...