Author Topic: The Clean Concert Pledge  (Read 6301 times)

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
  • Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed...
The Clean Concert Pledge
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:46:38 AM »
Ever been to a concert and thought what lazy pigs some people are with their crap spread all over the place?  Especially outdoor concerts...so this is a simple idea:

The Clean Concert pledge started during Earth Day. 
"Lots of people are doing their part for the planetóand I like this thing called The Clean Concert Pledge.  Itís very simple.  You hereby pledge to clean up your crap at outdoor concerts and encourage those around you to do the same thing.  Check out the web page, which even has material for artists, managers and promoters.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Itís a good idea.  Just promise to put your garbage in the trash instead of dumping it on the ground."

When I was in Vegas I remarked at how clean it seemed compared to other lineups I have been in.  So thanks U2 fans for picking up after yourselves. I look forward to seeing lots of you out there this summer on the 360 tour and lets keep up the good work keeping it clean.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: The Clean Concert Pledge
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:57:26 AM »
If you herd fans into football stadiums or fields like pigs, are you really surprised when they behave like pigs?

It's a respect thing. ;)

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:59:37 AM »
Heya hj!  
Thanks for the link and I'll check it out!  8)  I couldn't agree more!   :)
I was shocked & horrified at the mass amounts of garbage and litter around GA for Chi1 and when there were garbage containers nearby and also crews working the crowds!  Everything from blankets, chairs, coolers and food.  Terrible!  And embarrassing.  

I'll definitely sign & I hope lots of fans do their part, whether they sign or not.  

hurricane hugo

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 03:14:07 PM »
If you herd fans into football stadiums or fields like pigs, are you really surprised when they behave like pigs?

It's a respect thing. ;)

That's no excuse, and it's the fans that show no respect. On December 31, 1999, the band Phish held an all-night gig on the edge of the Everglades. They asked the fans to help with the cleanup - just picking up their own trash, really - on the way out. The fans ended up leaving the site cleaner than it was when the crew arrived to start setting up the stage. 

#@!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »

It's a respect thing. ;)

That's no excuse, and it's the fans that show no respect. On December 31, 1999, the band Phish held an all-night gig on the edge of the Everglades. They asked the fans to help with the cleanup - just picking up their own trash, really - on the way out. The fans ended up leaving the site cleaner than it was when the crew arrived to start setting up the stage. 

#@!

I agree, it's no excuse, but are you really surprised?

I'll bet there's not much stuff strewn all over the place after an arena show.

****Edited by Admin to remove masking of inappropriate language****

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:21:35 AM by Joe90usa »

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 04:58:21 PM »
I was at the Chicago shows, and yes, there was a lot of trash. One good thing came of the coolers, blankets and chairs, though. Homeless folks were able to collect them and put them to good use. Too bad there couldn't have been less garbage, though.

I tossed my stuff in the trash bins.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 12:10:21 AM »

It's a respect thing. ;)

#@!

Very nice!!!

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 05:46:14 PM »
I was at the Chicago shows, and yes, there was a lot of trash. One good thing came of the coolers, blankets and chairs, though. Homeless folks were able to collect them and put them to good use. Too bad there couldn't have been less garbage, though.

I tossed my stuff in the trash bins.

Heya birdlover... Sorry we missed you!  :(  How do you know this - re: benefiting homeless people?  If that's the case &/or anyone benefited, then I'm glad.    :)   And if someone organized that, that's great too.   

As for Phish fans - good for them!  I'd hope U2 fans could be just as respectful outdoors.  Indoors too albeit its hard to do that in GA once the show starts.   :P  Nobody would lose their spot to try to find a garbage receptacle. 

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 08:35:47 PM »
P8, shortly after the concert I read it  somewhere that the homeless came in a grabbed all the 'furniture'.It could have been in my local paper (I'm in Wisconsin) or online, but I know I read it and felt better about all the junk going to good use.
I'll be there again this July, GA...are you going again?

virgin_prune

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 06:09:08 AM »
Ever been to a concert and thought what lazy pigs some people are with their crap spread all over the place?  Especially outdoor concerts...so this is a simple idea:

"Lots of people are doing their part for the planetóand I like this thing called The Clean Concert Pledge.  Itís very simple.  You hereby pledge to clean up your crap at outdoor concerts and encourage those around you to do the same thing.  Check out the web page, which even has material for artists, managers and promoters.
Itís a good idea.  Just promise to put your garbage in the trash instead of dumping it on the ground."

When I was in Vegas I remarked at how clean it seemed compared to other lineups I have been in.  So thanks U2 fans for picking up after yourselves. I look forward to seeing lots of you out there this summer on the 360 tour and lets keep up the good work keeping it clean.

The idea of a U2 concert being aligned with any kind of environmentally responsible activity is ridiculous isn't it?

Picking up trash isn't going to reverse the hideous carbon footprint created by these tours.

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
  • Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed...
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 12:06:07 PM »

The idea of a U2 concert being aligned with any kind of environmentally responsible activity is ridiculous isn't it?

Picking up trash isn't going to reverse the hideous carbon footprint created by these tours.

Yeah, the irony knows no bounds really, but hey, we can all do a little something to counter that.  I know I paid for my trips by buying offsets.  U2.com made that available to us, so we can take some responsibility and not jsut say oh well it's already too far gone to even try, right?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 10:06:56 PM »
But the food vendors just go around at the end of the show, pick up all the sh**e and re-sell it at the following night's concert.

By cleaning it up you are depriving food catering staff of their livlihood.

You bunch of insensitive treehuggers.

FILL A BURRITO - DROP MORE RUBBISH

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 10:19:25 PM »
I remember walking out of Giants Stadium GA after night 1, and there were SO many plastic beer bottles on the field that you literally could not walk out without stepping on them.  You actually could not see the ground because the entire GA pitch (metal covering) was covered with beer bottles.  The next night in GA, my feet were sticking to the metal floor because of all the beer that had been spilled the night before.

virgin_prune

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 01:59:58 PM »

Yeah, the irony knows no bounds really, but hey, we can all do a little something to counter that.  I know I paid for my trips by buying offsets.  U2.com made that available to us, so we can take some responsibility and not jsut say oh well it's already too far gone to even try, right?

Well, it sounds like you're taking more responsibility than U2.

Their tour is shockingly irresponsible in terms of the environment. But hey, as long as you're coining it in guys, who cares, right?

Never mind the fact that the first people to suffer because of global warming will be developing countries. Or that Greece is on the verge of collapse, the euro is in turmoil, the world economy almost collapsed, the sea levels are slowly rising and we're all going to fry. Or that the UK and America are in a dangerous war they can't win - and the world is running out of oil.

But as long as U2 get to put on a big show with a dumb stage set and make loads of money, that's fine.

I'm sure bono feels the pain of the world and will write a song about it though. U2 used to have integrity - something to admire I would say. Now they're a big bloated corporation making fantastic amounts of money. bono seems to have an opinion on everything but his own irresponsibility.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 02:32:20 PM »

Well, it sounds like you're taking more responsibility than U2.

Their tour is shockingly irresponsible in terms of the environment. But hey, as long as you're coining it in guys, who cares, right?

Never mind the fact that the first people to suffer because of global warming will be developing countries. Or that Greece is on the verge of collapse, the euro is in turmoil, the world economy almost collapsed, the sea levels are slowly rising and we're all going to fry. Or that the UK and America are in a dangerous war they can't win - and the world is running out of oil.

But as long as U2 get to put on a big show with a dumb stage set and make loads of money, that's fine.

I'm sure bono feels the pain of the world and will write a song about it though. U2 used to have integrity - something to admire I would say. Now they're a big bloated corporation making fantastic amounts of money. bono seems to have an opinion on everything but his own irresponsibility.

Good lord, why is everything so dour about U2 in your eyes? Your posts are so excessively negative. I don't see what you get out of creating a new profile every few months and complaining about all things U2 on a U2 fansite. It's so obvious that U2 have completely fallen out of favour with you, what's the point in complaining so much? I'm not trying to attack you or anything, but man your posts depress the hell out of me!