Author Topic: Bono, for the love of God, lose the glasses.  (Read 14698 times)

virgin_prune

Re: Bono, for the love of God, lose the glasses.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 11:51:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One thing I cant understand- why people always complain about Bs glasses and Es hat etc. Does the fact that they wear them and have been wearing them for years really change the way theyve been making music, or does it really go on peoples nerves so much that they really cant go on with their everyday lives knowing that there are two rockstars somewhere in the world with glasses and hat on. ??? Me, rambling? Naah.

A band is an overall package - unfortunately the way bono looks makes a difference. Much as I love U2, he looks like a tool in those sun glasses.

Edge however, looks cool whatever he does.

Offline yellowhat

• Numb
  • Between the horses..........literally.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 12:58:19 PM »

Edge however, looks cool whatever he does.
[/quote
There my friend, you are right!

Offline teresa_88

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • U2: Soul Rocking People
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 01:19:34 PM »
Bono's shades and Edge's hat have become symbols, synonomous with who they are, they can't and wont go anywhere.  And plus, Bono's shades are so sexy :D

I so agree with this. ^

and this:

Bono's shades are so sexy :D

Yup.  :)

I think he looks....not like Bono without them. Maybe it's the short hair combination or something, but I'm not too fond of his non-glasses look. And he kinda needs them for his allergies/eye condition. But, I do like seeing the baby blues every now and then  :)

Agreed. It's fine when he takes them off occasionally.  ;D But really... it's... it's... BONO. Like- he can't just lose them. Like... like... the world would explode.

the glasses are part of the Bono's essence; just as the beanie is part of Edge's coolness...! Can't take them off! It's like - don't know - Rome with no Coliseum: wouldn't taste the same :)

also.... maybe I can see that people who have been fans since the early days when neither of them yet wore those items can have a point, but for those of us who became fans afterwards (I did in 2001, when shades and beanie were WAY established!), they are just attached to the men! They belong together :)

of course, every once in a while Bono's big blues are a delightful sight, but it can't be an everyday thing :)

Offline thehype88

• Stateless
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
One thing I cant understand- why people always complain about Bs glasses and Es hat etc. Does the fact that they wear them and have been wearing them for years really change the way theyve been making music, or does it really go on peoples nerves so much that they really cant go on with their everyday lives knowing that there are two rockstars somewhere in the world with glasses and hat on. ??? Me, rambling? Naah.

it's like when you see someone wearing sweatpants in public. It doesn't effect you in any way, and that person may be nice, but something about it just doesn't sit right with you and you want to give them some helpful advice.

Offline thehype88

• Stateless
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »
When Im listening to One or Acrobat I think these songs would be so much better if he took off the shades..................

give over.

i don't think about it while i listen to the music, it's when I see them in photo's or during interviews that I begin to ponder the rationality behind it.

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
  • Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed...
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2010, 03:08:56 PM »

When Im listening to One or Acrobat I think these songs would be so much better if he took off the shades..................

give over.

LOL!  That made me choke on my tea I laughed so hard.

i don't think about it while i listen to the music, it's when I see them in photo's or during interviews that I begin to ponder the rationality behind it.
Rationality?  But it's Rock "n" Roll...

I too had no idea Bono's fashion eyewear put some people off...It never bugged me really, although I have to say I did notice when during a concert in Calgary in April 2001, that he took them off for a large portion of the show and that I enjoyed that very much.  I also had no idea there were actual reasons for the shades, (allergies, oh how very Rock'N'Roll that is...tee hee)

Offline dferry09

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Gonna go where the bright lights and big city meet
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 07:19:57 PM »
I think Bono just see's them as part of the 'showman' attire, I remember him on TFI Friday on St Paddys Day a few years back telling Chris Evans that he offered the pope a pair because he had been an actor and a goalkeeper in his time.

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 11:43:32 PM »
I remember hearing somewhere that the 'eye condition' he has is completely made up, and not a real problem - i could see this being the case, with Bono just making an excuse to wear sunglasses, but the source i heard this from (some talk show a few years ago, cant remember any more) wasn't particularly trustworthy, so maybe he was telling the truth about the 'right eye swelling up' thing. Does anyone know anything about this condition he says he has?
If it is the case that he wears them for protection... i still wish he'd wear better ones. The ones he wore during pop were really cool - just simple, black, opaque, they made him look badass, like a real 'rock star', you know? I don't see why he wears the multi coloured ones that still show his eyes clearly - i think they've always looked silly, before he became known to wear them to the point of mockery.  :P

well, he is allergic to a certain type of weed which makes his eyes red, and he is flash sensitive.  thats why you'll generally see him wearing glasses in public.  but im sure he also just enjoys having that image, especially because we're all so used to it.  as for the type of glasses...i do agree with you.  the armanis he wears right now just arent very exciting.  he needs to get something more...edgy....no pun intended. :D :D

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 11:57:16 PM »
I remember hearing somewhere that the 'eye condition' he has is completely made up, and not a real problem - i could see this being the case, with Bono just making an excuse to wear sunglasses, but the source i heard this from (some talk show a few years ago, cant remember any more) wasn't particularly trustworthy, so maybe he was telling the truth about the 'right eye swelling up' thing. Does anyone know anything about this condition he says he has?
If it is the case that he wears them for protection... i still wish he'd wear better ones. The ones he wore during pop were really cool - just simple, black, opaque, they made him look badass, like a real 'rock star', you know? I don't see why he wears the multi coloured ones that still show his eyes clearly - i think they've always looked silly, before he became known to wear them to the point of mockery.  :P

the armanis he wears right now just arent very exciting.  he needs to get something more...edgy....no pun intended. :D :D
\

I think this is the first time I 10000% disagree with you

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
  • U2 has disappointed me. My entire collection 4sale
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 11:46:23 AM »
it's like when you see someone wearing sweatpants in public. It doesn't effect you in any way, and that person may be nice, but something about it just doesn't sit right with you and you want to give them some helpful advice.
THIS!

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 11:50:03 AM »
Someone should ask Ali if he takes them off during sex   8)

Offline BonoBeatle

• Wanderer
  • U2 live are even better than the real thing
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2010, 04:59:39 PM »
The old Bono from the 80's would cringe if he could could see himself in the present day!

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 05:28:02 PM »
The old Bono from the 80's would cringe if he could could see himself in the present day!
Good point ~ BUT the indoor/outdoor glasses seem to have solved the problem of photographers constantly coming at you with flash bulbs from all angles.  He's got to be one of the most photographed people on the planet right now.  Most celebs, without the protective eyewear, get very irritated by fans with cameras after a while.  Not our boy!  I don't think he ever turns a picture-taker away.

Offline ILoveEd

• Elevated
  • Remember me?
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 09:07:01 AM »
But the glasses are his "thing"! It's like a trademark. Same goes for Edge and his hat! Besides, I think Bono looks cool with his shades  8)

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 10:23:21 AM »
Bono wears the shades for several reasons. He is susceptible to allergies and uses them to hide red eyes. He is also photo sensitive and the flash of cameras make his right eye swell unless it is protected from the flash by his glasses. And yes, he also wears them ti give himself a bit of protection from the world. We may not get to see his beautiful baby blues enough, but those glasses are probably one of the reasons he is able to bear his heart and soul so easily.

I can understand that.  I also, have to wear sunglasses outdoors.  Always.  My blue-green eyes are very sensitive to light, plus allergens in the air don't help.  They literally will start to burn and tear within seconds, if I don't wear shades.  I wear shades all year round.  Even in the winter. 

Some people do wear tinted perscription lenses too.  My mom does.  She likes a light blue tint because it brings out the colour of her eyes.