Author Topic: 2010 SURVEY: General Reactions  (Read 4102 times)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
2010 SURVEY: General Reactions
« on: May 04, 2010, 01:03:07 AM »
This thread is for any general reactions and discussion about the 2010 U2 Fan Survey results. If you have something specific you'd like to discuss, feel free to start a new thread if you prefer. If you do, please begin the title of your thread with 2010 SURVEY so we can all find the discussions a little more easily. Thanks, gang!

And if you have feedback for us to consider for the next survey -- ideas for new questions, etc. -- please add them to this existing discussion:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 01:10:20 AM by m2 »

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Re: 2010 SURVEY: General Reactions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 10:55:45 AM »
Im shocked that Kite was the favorite from ATYCLB and Beautiful Day was 3rd :o

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 11:00:11 AM »
I was shocked there were more male fans than female. My husband SWEARS U2 is a "chick band."

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:49:29 AM »
I'm surprised that 3 out of 4 people who took the survey have dreams about at least one member of the band.    Naughty, naughty.....!

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 12:02:15 PM »
I was shocked there were more male fans than female. My husband SWEARS U2 is a "chick band."

Perhaps more women listen to them, while more men seem to find the time to fill out surveys about them.

Offline teresa_88

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • U2: Soul Rocking People
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 01:57:55 PM »
No ways! I love Bono in the mullet! take Live Aid....  :-*
and I love Adam's Afro! I thought it suited him. It wouldn't now, but at the time it totally fit.

i'm enjoying the results so much btw. :)

Offline teresa_88

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 02:15:08 PM »
I find it interesting how at bits it seems almost contradictory:
apparently everyone byus GA tickets - duh! Of course ;) but then most of the people have ansewred 0-2 hourse to the "how much time have you ever spent in a U2 queue"....
Interesting.

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
  • Your love was a light bulb hanging over my bed...
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 02:22:09 PM »
I love reading the results, very interesting!!  I have said WOW a couple of times so far...and the question:
If U2 decides it's time to drop one of their live "warhorse" songs, and they ask you for a suggestion, what song would you suggest they drop?
29% said Sunday Bloody Sunday.  Very interesting. 27% for ISHFWILF and 6 % said Streets which also took the Best live song by a huge margin.

Seems a lot of us really got into them during the 90's: best time for them, best album, best concert video.  I am surprised, thought it would be all 80's joshua era answers.  And I have to say I am impressed 85% of us would not bother the Hewson's at dinner.  Is it weird that I am sad Willie Williams didn't "win"?

But the results I was waiting for were the ones you asked about break ups and after...I said no to all of them but more than half of you would probably check U2 without the core members.  That is very interesting.
And over 3300 of us rank them over 8 on a scale of 1-10 for how happy we are with U2 right now (that's over 70%)
Loved reading it.  Thanks for conducting the poll @U2ers!!

apparently everyone byus GA tickets - duh! Of course ;) but then most of the people have ansewred 0-2 hourse to the "how much time have you ever spent in a U2 queue"....
Interesting.

Yes, that was very interesting, so I guess a lot of people aren't doing the hardcore 8 hours in line...

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 02:28:07 PM »
And over 3300 of us rank them over 8 on a scale of 1-10 for how happy we are with U2 right now (that's over 70%)

Yeah, that one really surprised me, too. I guess those of us who are somewhat critical of the band are a vocal minority. I'm certaily not all that happy with them lately, but then, I'm cranky and irritable.

Offline teresa_88

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 02:31:07 PM »
I love reading the results, very interesting!!  I have said WOW a couple of times so far...and the question:
If U2 decides it's time to drop one of their live "warhorse" songs, and they ask you for a suggestion, what song would you suggest they drop?
29% said Sunday Bloody Sunday.  Very interesting. 27% for ISHFWILF and 6 % said Streets which also took the Best live song by a huge margin.

Seems a lot of us really got into them during the 90's: best time for them, best album, best concert video.  I am surprised, thought it would be all 80's joshua era answers.  And I have to say I am impressed 85% of us would not bother the Hewson's at dinner.  Is it weird that I am sad Willie Williams didn't "win"?

But the results I was waiting for were the ones you asked about break ups and after...I said no to all of them but more than half of you would probably check U2 without the core members.  That is very interesting.
Loved reading it.  Thanks for conducting the poll @U2ers!!

Interesting.

Yes, that was very interesting, so I guess a lot of people aren't doing the hardcore 8 hours in line...

very interesting points there hj!
I was expecting the same about when people became fans: I was surprised too to see th 90s took the majority!

re. break-up results. I noticed that Adam is the one member that got the most "yes" votes to the "if adm were to live, shoud they still keep goin?". While Edge seems to be the """most indispensable""" one, according to that same question. Bono is the close second.
I as you, answered NO to those for; but the one that asked whether I'd buy an album from the other three, I admit I said yes. It'd feel like betraying on a level, but I know I'd die from curiosity otherwise.

and I'm very glad that most of us are happy with them... :) I feel they deserve it. And I personally, am very happy, and looking forward to shows! :)

it was really cool getting that major overview!

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 02:52:51 PM »
re. break-up results. I noticed that Adam is the one member that got the most "yes" votes to the "if adm were to live, shoud they still keep goin?". While Edge seems to be the """most indispensable""" one, according to that same question. Bono is the close second.
I as you, answered NO to those for; but the one that asked whether I'd buy an album from the other three, I admit I said yes. It'd feel like betraying on a level, but I know I'd die from curiosity otherwise.

and I'm very glad that most of us are happy with them... :) I feel they deserve it. And I personally, am very happy, and looking forward to shows! :)

it was really cool getting that major overview!

I know I noticed that too about the most indispensable member...it made me sad for Adam, even if it is a small margin. 

I'd probably die of curiosity too.   ;)

Offline hj

• Desert Rose
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 02:54:16 PM »

Yeah, that one really surprised me, too. I guess those of us who are somewhat critical of the band are a vocal minority. I'm certaily not all that happy with them lately, but then, I'm cranky and irritable.

It's ok, we still love you and your grumbly ways, Eeyore.

Offline lauren

• Wanderer
  • found grace inside a sound
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 03:27:40 PM »

I hope Edge reads the results because he would have to feel good about winning that one :-)  No offense Bono - I love you too!  I also said no they shouldn't go on without any member, but if they did I don't think I could resist checking it out.  It would be very hard but I would be curious.  I imagine how we would feel would depend on the circumstances regarding somebody leaving, but I don't even want to think about that happening, not right now.

I was also interested how popular Achtung Baby and Zoo TV were, and that 2/3 of responders were men but I wonder if that has as much to do with who likes to fill out surveys.

This may sound weird, but I was surprised that everybody hadn't had a dream involving the band.  DrDoom, they didn't say it had to be that kind of dream :-)

Wow people are happier with the band than I would have guessed, especially with 10 being the most popular choice.  Then again I am frustrated by a lot (getting obstructed view presale seats last year for $110 each and many years of membership, Breathe being left off the Rose Bowl dvd, no show in New England this year, no sign of a show for my friend in Australia on this tour... Exile, I guess I am cranky and irritable too) but I still gave a fairly high response to that.  I still love the music and the shows and I am still inspi(red) by the band, and that's what matters most.

I give the survey a 10 out of 10 - informative and entertaining.  Thanks as always Matt!

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 04:41:11 PM »

I thought it would be about even... Coldplay... now there is a more "chick" band.  Especially if we were just counting people who claim it as their favorite band.  I dont know a single dude who LOVES Coldplay

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 04:52:39 PM »
The BIGGEST surprise to me was that Achtung Baby won favorite album.  Not just that it won but that it won by so much.  It has been my favorite but I didnt think this was the majority thought amongst fans.  I checked back to 2005 to 2007 surveys and the results were similar.  Must of missed or forgot the previous results.