Author Topic: The U2 Confessional  (Read 117467 times)

Offline ayajedi

• Child of Grace
  • Don't Let the Bastards Grind You Down
Re: The U2 Confessional
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2010, 08:34:11 PM »
I do not like The Playboy Mansion, Wake Up Dean Man or One Step Closer
I refuse to buy The Passengers CD
I get why some people, especially non U2 fans, cannot stand Bono sometimes  :-[
I go to U2 concerts by myself because I want to concentrate on the experience and not have to worry about anyone else  :-[

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2010, 10:13:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I go to U2 concerts by myself because I want to concentrate on the experience and not have to worry about anyone else  :-[

I can understand that. I'll be going to the show in Philly on my own when it's rescheduled, and I think I'll have more fun. 

Offline toolz2112

• Wanderer
  • they just.. sound different
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2010, 04:31:51 AM »
i believe it is time for with or without you to be retired (bono sounds so bored with the song....DAMN, as i write this wowy live from the rose bowl starts playing!)
i havent heard mercy (if its not released, obviously the band dont care for it so why should i?)
i perfer native son to vertigo
i have only seen u2 live twice (good excuse though, i live in australia!!!!)
i dont consider the passenger album U2 work, so have not brought it
think bono can be annoying as all buggery some times

thinks thats all. apart from the above, what a band! gotta love them

oh, 1 more....IM EXTREMELY JEALOUS OF THE EDGE'S SKILL ON GUITAR! LOL!

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2010, 01:08:13 PM »
i havent heard mercy (if its not released, obviously the band dont care for it so why should i?)

The band does care for it.  They've said that, after the cut it from HTDAAB at the last second cause it would have made the album too long, they in fact do love the song.  Edge has even said recently that they will eventually release it.

I beg you to give it a listen.  Its amazing.  Trust me

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2010, 01:47:19 PM »
i believe it is time for with or without you to be retired (bono sounds so bored with the song....DAMN, as i write this wowy live from the rose bowl starts playing!)
i have only seen u2 live twice (good excuse though, i live in australia!!!!)
i dont consider the passenger album U2 work, so have not brought it
think bono can be annoying as all buggery some times

thinks thats all. apart from the above, what a band! gotta love them

oh, 1 more....IM EXTREMELY JEALOUS OF THE EDGE'S SKILL ON GUITAR! LOL!

Absolutely. Native Son is a million times better (and I do like Vertigo)  :)

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2010, 03:33:14 PM »
I second the love for Native Son!  Only U2 could write that song . . .

I have never seen PopMart from beginning to end.  *ducks*

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2010, 10:30:36 PM »
Yeah!! Streets is live much better but it depends! I love the Rattle & Hum Streets and the one from Slane Castle where it comes right after All I want is you.. The version from Chicago isn't that good!
I also love the two version of Running to stand still!!!

I love, love, LOVE the version from Slane Castle. It never fails to give me goosebumps! And Running to Stand Still is one of my all-time favorite songs, so I love any version!

Me too!  I love the entire Slane concert.  The Irish sure know how to enjoy a great time! 

Offline toolz2112

• Wanderer
  • they just.. sound different
« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2010, 11:25:50 PM »
ill listen to it when they eventually release it. means when i hear it, all you guys and girls will be like finally it has been released and hopefully i will be jumping up and down because it is a new brilliant song!  :P

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2010, 06:17:35 PM »
I stole one of Larry's drum fills from Until The End of the World for a song that my band plays. :-[

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2010, 06:29:20 PM »

I thought Mercy and Native Son were released at the same time, in the same package so to speak, when the U2 iPod was released. No?  ???

I agree that Native Son is better than Vertigo (though Vertigo is produced/mixed better). Unfortunately, the band didn't want such an earnest lyric for some reason or anther.

Offline lauren

• Wanderer
  • found grace inside a sound
« Reply #160 on: June 12, 2010, 07:17:08 PM »
I'm a U2 snob. I don't think that people who cannot name all albums in chronological order should be allowed to attend U2 concerts.
I second that opinion. Let's start standing at the doors of the shows & quizzing everyone walking in.

I don't spend much time in the forum but this evening I dropped in while moping about my canceled plans to be at the show in Denver, and this thread has been entertaining.  I can't think of much in the way of confessions, but I don't plan to buy the Rose Bowl dvd in protest that Breathe was cut.

Having qualifications to get into a concert sounds great, but instead of the discography I would say people should be somewhat familiar with the new album.  Last fall I stood next to a couple nice guys who had wanted to see U2 for a long time and were excited to come here (they aren't from the US so they hadn't had the chance to see them locally) and pay a scalper hundreds of dollars for floor tickets, but when I asked how they liked NLOTH they said they had never heard it.  That frustrates me.

And by the way I am definitely jealous of Morleigh.

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #161 on: June 12, 2010, 10:12:42 PM »
okay fine, if you must know (sigh).  as a teen, i had some knowledge of boy & war, never heard of october (which i love now), and i loved joshua tree u2, but when the zoo tv tour was on, i didn't get it, was completely freaked by macphisto (who i only saw/heard about from soundbytes on the news, etc since i never went to one of the shows).  THEN, in march 2009, i had no idea that u2 even still played together at all.  i had no idea zooropa or pop even existed and with the exception of vertigo and beautiful day, i didn't know any of their other releases until nloth.  ::)

having said that, i think having the benefit of listening to the back catalogue now allows me  to like and appreciate albums like zooropa & pop in a way i wouldn't have at the time they were released. i think it's easier to see the growth of the band and the music when it's in an historical context.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2010, 12:13:12 AM »
I stole one of Larry's drum fills from Until The End of the World for a song that my band plays. :-[

YOU MONSTER!  >:(

:D

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2010, 12:53:32 AM »
ok...here goes....

I dont think Achtung Baby is their best album
The whole PoP think I bear - Its the only tour I've missed since War becuase i 'fell out of love with U2' **gasps**
Bono should accept the facts hes going bald
Larry needs to chill and not look like he's got something wedged where it shoudn't be
Does Edge go to bed with his beanies on?
Paul McGuinness looks like he's eaten the profits (ref squaring the circles on Rosebowl DVD!!)

Hmmm...was that confessional or just plain dumping lol...felt good!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2010, 07:46:28 AM »

The whole PoP think I bear - Its the only tour I've missed since War becuase i 'fell out of love with U2' **gasps**

I too had 'fallen out of love with U2' during the Pop period which I regret because I now think that the Pop album and tour was one of the best eras in the bands history.

My major periods of U2 fandom were 1988-1993 & 2009-Present and long may it continue.