Author Topic: U2 used to be a real band  (Read 6910 times)

Offline brendan,belfast

• Wanderer
Re: U2 used to be a real band
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2009, 04:25:45 PM »
Lets see- Well your right about the first four albums.

BOY release-Oct./1980

OCTOBER release-Oct./1981

WAR release-March./1983

UF release-Oct./1984

JT release-Mar./1987

AB release-Nov./1991

POP release-Mar./1997

ATYCLB release-Oct./2000

HTDAAB release- Nov./2004

Why'd you leave off Rattle & Hum and Zooropa?

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 04:35:01 PM »
You could throw them in there. As well as when the touring stopped, and youd probably get a shorter time frame between all the albums.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 04:52:22 PM »
Hardest working band in the world - the thread is just another way of saying you dont like 'Boots'.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 05:03:56 PM »
What's silly about this thread is that, if anything, U2 should be accused of working too hard. If you've paid any attention to the way they've worked for the past 2 decades, you know that they spend weeks and months (and years, it seems) trying to make every song perfect. They record entire albums, then decide to scrap them and start all over again. Then they mix and remix and re-record every song until the damn thing is within an inch of its musical life.

Yeah, it sucks to wait 4+ years for an album, and it's fun following the likes of Snow Patrol, The Killers, (insert your favorite artist here), etc., because they get albums out every 2 years ... but to start tossing around the word "lazy" and suggest they're not dedicated anymore? I don't get it.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What's silly about this thread is that, if anything, U2 should be accused of working too hard. If you've paid any attention to the way they've worked for the past 2 decades, you know that they spend weeks and months (and years, it seems) trying to make every song perfect. They record entire albums, then decide to scrap them and start all over again. Then they mix and remix and re-record every song until the damn thing is within an inch of its musical life.

Yeah, it sucks to wait 4+ years for an album, and it's fun following the likes of Snow Patrol, The Killers, (insert your favorite artist here), etc., because they get albums out every 2 years ... but to start tossing around the word "lazy" and suggest they're not dedicated anymore? I don't get it.

Woo! Go m2.  8)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 05:16:03 PM »
In 8 years we as fans have had -
ATYCLB
ELEVATION TOUR
BEST OF 90 -00
HTDAAB
VERTIGO TOUR
U218
U2 by U2
JT REMASTER
U2 3D
BOY/OCT/WAR/UABRS REMASTERS
NO LINE
TOUR

now i know they're remasters and all but Edge was pretty hands on with those, not to mention 6 concert DVDs! Lazy they most certainly are not,

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2009, 06:44:56 PM »
I have almost reached the stage when I am gonna name all the members in here that I think should be banned due to continous negativity.  >:(

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2009, 06:58:10 PM »
I have almost reached the stage when I am gonna name all the members in here that I think should be banned due to continous negativity.  >:(

Unfortunately I think that a few of the people that are annoying us don't even realize it...as for the others, however...

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
     8)        8)
     8)        8)
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

(no, I don't know what that is, it was just fun making ;D)

Offline justinluey

• Stateless
  • "Dream Out Loud, at high volume" - Bono
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2009, 06:58:27 PM »
In 8 years we as fans have had -
ATYCLB
ELEVATION TOUR
BEST OF 90 -00
HTDAAB
VERTIGO TOUR
U218
U2 by U2
JT REMASTER
U2 3D
BOY/OCT/WAR/UABRS REMASTERS
NO LINE
TOUR

now i know they're remasters and all but Edge was pretty hands on with those, not to mention 6 concert DVDs! Lazy they most certainly are not,

Exactly, U2 have put out plenty for fans and they are still at the top of their game. Even if you don't dig the last couple records, you have to admit they are still near the top of their game. Name me one other band that after 30 years is or was putting out relevant records that at least rival their best work. Seriously, I can't name one but look forward to hearing if anyone else can.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2009, 07:05:41 PM »
I'm amazed at how many psychics have joined the forum recently. Wow, I wish I had the power to hear unreleased music!  Then I could log on and start a thread to enlighten the rest of you  ;D

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2009, 07:07:36 PM »
Ban them, ban them, ban them now.  >:(

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2009, 07:10:26 PM »
I think we're being hard on the OP here - all they're trying to tell us is that the next album features a strong Gorillaz influence...*

*don't get it? Lucky escape for you then.

luieu2

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 07:12:48 PM »
This record is lazy, boring rubbish. I would love U2 to be great again - and i really liked HTDAAB and the first half of ATYCLB. But this is drivel. 'sexy boots'? ffs.

U2 used to be a real live, ongoing band of four dedicated guys putting on the best live shows in the world. Now we get, what? an album every 4 years if lucky? and every one is the 'best one yet'.

I look forward to the album but this is a very poor indicator of its quality.
another non u2 fan  >:(

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 07:18:58 PM »
Holy Smokes Lesmo! Kajagoogoo!!! Where did that come from? That's like BC!  :D

Come a little closer girl. You're too shy, shy Hush, hush Eye to eye! ;D ;D ;D  Confession-I have that one on vinyl.  Just a little comic relief.  Back to why U2 used to be a real band ::)

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 07:39:31 PM »
As someone who is now over 40 (not by much!), I can say that the pressures of raising children and maintaining a satisfying family life make putting out albums at the rate they did when they were in their twenties, almost impossible.  (Does that long sentence make sense?)  You cannot compare their output as very young men to what is possible for them as committed family men.  There's a reason most rock marriages don't last.  The members of U2 seem committed to having successful marriages and raising children (except Adam).   The music necessarily comes second to that.  I cannot fault them for that in any way.  And it does not diminish them as a band in any way.  Grow up, people.