Author Topic: U2 used to be a real band  (Read 6908 times)

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
Re: U2 used to be a real band
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 08:46:36 PM »
Hey has any one else noticed that many of the negative comments on the song are from people with 1,2,3 posts?

Offline 85tour

• Babyface
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »
In my opinion every single released ahead of the album has been mediocore and/or takes some time to appreciate. The other songs on the album usually make up for it. When they put out Zooropa I thought, if this is the direction they are going then I am done. I am still here.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 09:13:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hey has any one else noticed that many of the negative comments on the song are from people with 1,2,3 posts?

They are all people who are going to the effort of joining atu2 forum site just to slag U2 off. Go Figure?

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 09:17:03 PM »

They are all people who are going to the effort of joining atu2 forum site just to slag U2 off. Go Figure?

I say ban all of them. Ban their IP addresses. Ban everything!

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 03:17:23 AM »
This record is lazy, boring rubbish. I would love U2 to be great again - and i really liked HTDAAB and the first half of ATYCLB. But this is drivel. 'sexy boots'? ffs.

U2 used to be a real live, ongoing band of four dedicated guys putting on the best live shows in the world. Now we get, what? an album every 4 years if lucky? and every one is the 'best one yet'.

I look forward to the album but this is a very poor indicator of its quality.

Well, they're still a real band... Unless they're holograms...

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 04:10:33 AM »
U2 could play in different places at one time!

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 04:12:19 AM »
Are U2 aliens? or maybe just The Edge.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 04:20:24 AM »
Or The Edge has alienated U2? You decide...

Offline brendan,belfast

• Wanderer
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 04:35:15 AM »
Jeez - you guys are highly strung.

1. I have 1 post. so what? it is not unusual for someone to check out a forum when one of his favourite bands release a new single / album, is it?

2. I have not heard the album and I haven't claimed to have heard it - so I am not psychic. I have just heard the awful single.

3. ban people? That's a true U2 sentiment right there. "I don't like what this guy is saying - please ban him". Very liberal.

4. Books (U2 by U2) and concert DVDs notwithstanding, U2's output is criminally low. I think everyone can accept that. And the fact that they take months and years to perfect songs doesn't stand up as a counter argument when Boots is the result. But - as i said originally I look forward to the album - and I hope it is as good as i found HTDAAB to be.

5. i am 40 - 3 kids, mortgage, work to do and bills to pay etc. I get up in the morning and go to work each day.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 04:37:33 AM »
I kid. I kid.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 06:24:39 AM »
This record is lazy, boring rubbish. I would love U2 to be great again - and i really liked HTDAAB and the first half of ATYCLB. But this is drivel. 'sexy boots'? ffs.

U2 used to be a real live, ongoing band of four dedicated guys putting on the best live shows in the world. Now we get, what? an album every 4 years if lucky? and every one is the 'best one yet'.

I look forward to the album but this is a very poor indicator of its quality.

brendan, your post gives me a clue as to the type of music you liked u2 releasing. for someone who liked the whole of HTDAAB and the first half of ATYCLB, that suggests you like clean-cut, over-polished, middle-of-the-road boredom. i bet you want u2 to go back to their anthems of the earnest 80's. well i've got news, it aint gonna happen. i like some of the dirtier, off the beaten track stuff that u2 have done over the years, as well as the epics and classics. it would bore me to death if u2 released anthem after anthem. if that's what you want, go buy the back catalogue from embrace.

Offline brendan,belfast

• Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 08:50:54 AM »
I like the vast majority of what U2 have out out over the years. I just dislike the attempt at 'edgy' out there dance music / electronic riff sh**e. Anthems, no, not particularly. Music with heart and soul? Yes, I'll have some that please, and Boots is not that.

why would i want to rebuy the back catalogue?

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 09:36:35 AM »
In my opinion every single released ahead of the album has been mediocore and/or takes some time to appreciate.

Disagree heartily. My thoughts on the "single ahead of the album"

I Will Follow - Instant hit
Gloria - Instant hit
New Year's Day - Instant hit
Pride - Instant hit
WOWY - Instant hit
Desire - Instant hit
The Fly - Instant hit
Numb - Meh, was ok then, opinion hasn't changed much over the years
Discotheque - I'll give you that one, took a bit of time to get into the change of direction, great ROCK song and album, if only they hadn't made that cheesy video.......
Beautiful Day - Instant hit
Vertigo - Rubbish then, rubbish now
GOYB - Rubbish now, rubbish forever

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 09:41:17 AM »
I was watching Rattle and Hum last night and it dawned on me that there have been only 4 tours since then, ZooTV, PopMart, Elevation and Vertigo.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 09:45:12 AM »
I was watching Rattle and Hum last night and it dawned on me that there have been only 4 tours since then, ZooTV, PopMart, Elevation and Vertigo.

You're forgetting Lovetown.