Author Topic: Yesterday Always Seems Better...  (Read 1426 times)

Offline atyclb5660

• Babyface
Yesterday Always Seems Better...
« on: May 08, 2010, 02:33:15 PM »
I've been following this forum for a few months here and there, and I have been surprised at what some have been saying about the current U2360 tour, specifically Bono.

Let me pose a question to people who don't think Bono is experiencing a second peak of his career presently:

Do you think he would be able to pull of shows with such energy, excitement, and fearlessness in these huge stadiums night after night say during the ATYCLB years? Popmart years? Even Vertigo years? Really, I have not seen Bono have this much energy and be willing to go bananas since the mid-80s before the Joshua Tree. Just picture ATYCLB or Popmart Bono racing around this stage, belting high notes in MOS and BD, singing sweet phrases in Magnificent, like it's his last night on this earth. I can't picture it either. Moral of my statement is, everyone should appreciate what they're seeing out of u2 presently, because it might be better than you think.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Re: Yesterday Always Seems Better...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:38:29 PM »
Very good analysis.  I think the energy we've been seeing out of him on stage has been great and is probably just as high as the early days

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 02:46:05 PM »
agreed 100%

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 02:53:45 PM »
Some of U2's past was better, no seem about it. They will never equal or better the way they were on the Zoo TV and Joshua Tree tours.  Happy days.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 03:15:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been following this forum for a few months here and there, and I have been surprised at what some have been saying about the current U2360 tour, specifically Bono.

Let me pose a question to people who don't think Bono is experiencing a second peak of his career presently:

Do you think he would be able to pull of shows with such energy, excitement, and fearlessness in these huge stadiums night after night say during the ATYCLB years? Popmart years? Even Vertigo years? Really, I have not seen Bono have this much energy and be willing to go bananas since the mid-80s before the Joshua Tree. Just picture ATYCLB or Popmart Bono racing around this stage, belting high notes in MOS and BD, singing sweet phrases in Magnificent, like it's his last night on this earth. I can't picture it either. Moral of my statement is, everyone should appreciate what they're seeing out of u2 presently, because it might be better than you think.

Some of us who are a bit critical of the 360 tour are critical NOT because it lacks energy, but for other reasons (mediocre and static setlists, poor singing, &c). For my part, I would rather Bono tone things down a few notches rather than huffing, puffing, and yelling at no one in particular.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 03:19:21 PM »

Some of us who are a bit critical of the 360 tour are critical NOT because it lacks energy, but for other reasons (mediocre and static setlists, poor singing, &c). For my part, I would rather Bono tone things down a few notches rather than huffing, puffing, and yelling at no one in particular.

Are you getting that familiar feeling of superiority again, The Exile? :D ;)

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 03:48:38 PM »
Bono had amazing energy on both Elevation and Vertigo tours. He tore it up running round the Heart/Elipse many times during the shows. Ive attended both tours, he had more energy then than he does on 360.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 04:35:39 PM »
I think Bono was damn near unhinged on the PopMart and Elevation tours. he was in tremendous condition, and he definitely pushed himself physically about as far as he could go.

#@!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 05:01:17 PM »
Bono had amazing energy on both Elevation and Vertigo tours. He tore it up running round the Heart/Elipse many times during the shows. Ive attended both tours, he had more energy then than he does on 360.

Yea, i think his energy level seems the same as it did in 2001

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 10:59:09 PM »
A signature of the pre 9/11 Elevation shows was Bono Running laps around the heart at the beginning of Where The Streets Have No Name and still hitting the notes amazingly for the most part.

As Exile said, I don't think the majority of the criticism thrown at the 360 tour has to do with Bono's energy. 

I STRONGLY disagree that their best performances are in the past (namely Joshua Tree & ZooTV).  Those tours surely were the peak of Bono being able to hit the notes he wants to.  However, the words I chose were very specific.  Now, Bono and the band as whole are playing the songs much better and making better choices on how to execute them.  I personally prefer Streets from 2001 onward FAR above the Joshua Tree version which he sings over the top and exaggerated, and by comparison it is almost a caricature.  2001 forward has much more weight and soul.  It sounds and feels more genuine as well as more epic.  ZooTV version was great, and def better than the Joshua Tree version, but is still beaten by Elevation's performances.  Elevation on forward they really emphasized the rising tempo.  Bono was speak-singing more on the verse in the ZooTV versions.   I am speaking here, in terms of the musical performances, not the visuals.  On pure visuals Joshua Tree still takes it for its pure simplicity.

Overall the musical performance is far superior now than during Joshua Tree and ZooTV.  The rhythm section in particular is a million times better.  During ZooTV they still sounded stiff and rigid, and on songs like The Fly even clunky.  It wasnt until the Popmart tour where they really started to loosen up and have some bounce, soul, funk, real R&B.  But they didnt really come into it until the 2001s.  Ive been comparing the funkier and more R&B songs like Mysterious Ways, Angel of Harlem, even Desire, In A Little While, Stuck in a Moment, and with each tour they have improved by leaps and bounds.  There is a relaxed bluesyness that was completely missing before.  These songs have real rhythm and soul now.  They breathe and more right, a true fluidity.  Where some of these songs took on a more "beautiful" or "pretty" feel or tone rather feeling soulful.  Comparing the best recording/performances of ZooTV Dublin vs 360 Milan nite 1, it is subtle but I can really FEEL the difference, the looseness.

The same exaggerated performance style of Macphisto doing Ultraviolet vs 360s Ultraviolet is another huge improvement.  The current version is by far superior.  Bono really belts it out now and lays it all out there.  Where it was detached spokenverse and somewhat over the top and cartoonish during ZooTV it became emotive and truly EPIC in 360.  ZooTV performances were by no mean bad, but by comparison they are nowhere near as good.  The current tour is both an emotive highlight on the level of Bad as well as a more "Rock" highlight on the level of Gone.

I think the comparison of better in the past vs better now is more complicated.  Some things are better in the past - mostly the consistent quality and range of Bono's voice, and some things are better now - overall musicianship and the choices and manner and ways in which Bono choices to execute his voice.  Many songs are much better now (Streets, Ultraviolet, Angel of Harlem, Beautiful Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday), while others are spotty and need re-invigoration compared to past tours (One, With Or Without You).

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 12:29:02 PM »

I remember at New York 2 last year Bono went for a fast run around the entire outer stage during the end of UTEOTW. He collapsed onto the stage once he'd finished the lap. He then got up to sing Stay, but was so knackered he made a right hash of it, he had to go back to his teleprompter to sort himself and the lyrics out. He's fit enough alright for a near 50 year old, just needs a bit more recovery time than before!

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »
I don't think the band were happy with the route they were going down from the previous album. They were becoming brilliant melodic songwriters and old codgers. Not to say this album isn't melodic but it's clear to me they wanted a fresh approach both in songwriting and performance, hence this album and tour, it's pretty bombastic for four fifty + year olds. 

He's had great energy on this tour, I just hope they shake up the setlist a tad. No complaints though.