Author Topic: HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY, BONO!!!  (Read 16418 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY, BONO!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 12:31:31 PM »
OK , I doubt  you will actually read this but this is for you:

Dear Bonovox of O'Connell Street ( Guggi's original and complete Lypton Village name that I adore!),

When I think of you , one of my favorite movies always seems to come to my mind-It's a Wonderful Life. You see, I've actually always thought of you as the main character , George Bailey. Although George never did realize his dreams as you have, he touched the lives of so many both directly and indirectly with his generous acts of kindness. He didn't realize how many people he actually touched until the angel Clarence was called to save him from jumping off that bridge. I really don't think you realize the profound effect you have had on the lives of so many.

I have loved the music of U2 since I was 19 years old. Your album October meant a lot to me back then. The lyrics that expressed your struggle with keeping your faith in the world of rock n roll really spoke to me. I also admired how you spoke out for things beyond music that were important to you. I became active in Amnesty International and really learned so much about the injustice in the world because of U2. Your music has gotten me through the best and worst of times, but my admiration for you goes way beyond the music. The fact that you were deeply touched by the dire situation in Africa so many years ago and kept good on your promise to try and help them shows your deep commitment and loyalty. You have given so much of your time to give a voice to so many that had none. What amount of money you have given is your private business, but the time you have given is evident to us all. It is valuable and you did it at great risk to your friendship with your band. But you did it anyway because it was the right thing to do. You have remained a gentleman through all of the vicious criticism you get for trying to help those in need the best way you knew how.

Now as I approach my 50th birthday right behind you, we have come full circle together! I have never met you and I many never meet you, but you have touched my life in a profound way. I have always looked to U2 for comfort during sad times and joy for the happy times. We grew up across the pond from each other together. You ,boy to man and father and me,  girl to woman and mother. You have shown me what loyalty , kindness and compassion to human suffering means. You have shown me how to stand up and do the right thing no matter how many may speak out against you. People joke about you being a saint, but we both know we are all flawed. We just do the best we can. So I am. Here is where my 30 year journey has brought me - I am now actively involved with the very ladies in Uganda that you bought the ARV drugs for to save their lives. I proudly call Agnes Nyamayarwo and those women in the Mulago Positive Women's Network my friends. I know they are yours. I know that is was Agnes that inspired you to create the ONE organization. I know that you call the warriors like her the real heroes. They have gone on to help others in their village and so on. I will continue to help them. I feel it is what I was meant to do.

So you see Bono, you really have had a wonderful life so far. Now after I've said all this, you don't need Clarence to show you how you have touched my life and the millions of others who take what you have done on this earth and carry that forward. On this day, I wish you a very happy birthday! I wish you love , peace and many blessings . I hope and pray that you will have another 50 glorious years here on this earth.  When the time does come that you leave this earth, all the bells in Africa will ring as we all know from our dear friend Clarence...................."every time a bell rings , an angel gets his wings." Don't forget , Clarence also says, "no man is a failure who has friends."  You have a friend in each and every person who received their ARV drugs and have life because of the work you have done.

Happy 50th birthday!
With much love,
StrongGirl

Offline MistyLeigh32

• Child of Grace
  • RAN the Marine Corps Marathon 10/30/2011
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 12:33:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
OK , I doubt  you will actually read this but this is for you:

Dear Bonovox of O'Connell Street ( Guggi's original and complete Lypton Village name that I adore!),

When I think of you , one of my favorite movies always seems to come to my mind-It's a Wonderful Life. You see, I've actually always thought of you as the main character , George Bailey. Although George never did realize his dreams as you have, he touched the lives of so many both directly and indirectly with his generous acts of kindness. He didn't realize how many people he actually touched until the angel Clarence was called to save him from jumping off that bridge. I really don't think you realize the profound effect you have had on the lives of so many.

I have loved the music of U2 since I was 19 years old. Your album October meant a lot to me back then. The lyrics that expressed your struggle with keeping your faith in the world of rock n roll really spoke to me. I also admired how you spoke out for things beyond music that were important to you. I became active in Amnesty International and really learned so much about the injustice in the world because of U2. Your music has gotten me through the best and worst of times, but my admiration for you goes way beyond the music. The fact that you were deeply touched by the dire situation in Africa so many years ago and kept good on your promise to try and help them shows your deep commitment and loyalty. You have given so much of your time to give a voice to so many that had none. What amount of money you have given is your private business, but the time you have given is evident to us all. It is valuable and you did it at great risk to your friendship with your band. But you did it anyway because it was the right thing to do. You have remained a gentleman through all of the vicious criticism you get for trying to help those in need the best way you knew how.

Now as I approach my 50th birthday right behind you, we have come full circle together! I have never met you and I many never meet you, but you have touched my life in a profound way. I have always looked to U2 for comfort during sad times and joy for the happy times. We grew up across the pond from each other together. You ,boy to man and father and me,  girl to woman and mother. You have shown me what loyalty , kindness and compassion to human suffering means. You have shown me how to stand up and do the right thing no matter how many may speak out against you. People joke about you being a saint, but we both know we are all flawed. We just do the best we can. So I am. Here is where my 30 year journey has brought me - I am now actively involved with the very ladies in Uganda that you bought the ARV drugs for to save their lives. I proudly call Agnes Nyamayarwo and those women in the Mulago Positive Women's Network my friends. I know they are yours. I know that is was Agnes that inspired you to create the ONE organization. I know that you call the warriors like her the real heroes. They have gone on to help others in their village and so on. I will continue to help them. I feel it is what I was meant to do.

So you see Bono, you really have had a wonderful life so far. Now after I've said all this, you don't need Clarence to show you how you have touched my life and the millions of others who take what you have done on this earth and carry that forward. On this day, I wish you a very happy birthday! I wish you love , peace and many blessings . I hope and pray that you will have another 50 glorious years here on this earth.  When the time does come that you leave this earth, all the bells in Africa will ring as we all know from our dear friend Clarence...................."every time a bell rings , an angel gets his wings." Don't forget , Clarence also says, "no man is a failure who has friends."  You have a friend in each and every person who received their ARV drugs and have life because of the work you have done.

Happy 50th birthday!
With much love,
StrongGirl

Very well said SG!!  Brought tears to my eyes!!  And it's SOOOO true.

Offline msterlingu2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 01:08:55 PM »
Happy 5-0 Beautiful Bono!  May you have 50 more!

Enjoy your Black Velvet

*Michelle, Los Angeles

Offline ILoveEd

• Elevated
  • Remember me?
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 01:11:38 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BONO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  8) 50 years old, and still the coolest rockstar ever to have walked the Earth!!!!! Hope you have many more :)

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 01:17:23 PM »
Wow, SG, that was beautiful!

Bono, I wish I could express  how much your music and you as a person have touched my life...if I ever get to meet you I'm sure I will try and explain it, but even then I'm not sure I could. In any case, I'm eternally grateful for what I've learned from you in the years I've been a U2 fan, both from your music and from learning about your various humanitarian efforts...and I know some of those lessons will shape who I am and how I live my life. I hope both you and Jordan have an amazing birthday! I can't wait for Montreal...

Offline yellowhat

• Numb
  • Between the horses..........literally.
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 01:18:17 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BONO!!!!

Offline WhildHoney

• Numb
  • No compass, no map, no reasons to get back
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 01:32:57 PM »
Happy Birthday to Bono, and Jordan!!!!!! ;D ;D

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 01:36:39 PM »
Beautifully put, SG!

Well Bono, where should I start, young man?  ;) I honestly don't know where to start! You've made a mark an almost every aspect of my life that I've lost track by now. I guess I'll start with your music. I play an instument, I know you don't (well, if you count guitar) but the way you put every single emotion possible into the way you thing has inspired me to try and do the same. The same goes with your confidence when your on stage, you don't care what people think when you popped out in a giant gold suit with massive gold shoes. I think in no way are you cocky, your confident, and that's what's important in music - you have to put it all out there and not care what everyone thinks while your doing it. Then there's of course, your music itself. Like everyone else has said, it's gotten it through their ups and downs. I've recently been exploring some other bands, anywhere from jazz to metal, but everytime I come back to U2 and hear your voice, it's like an ear massage!

I've only been a U2 fan for two years, and in those two years there was so much to learn about you. It's kinda funny, I've always read about your involvement in Africa, and I never really thought anything of it. Then we started learning about Africa in global, and the word "apartheid" was brought up, and all of a sudden I realized I recognized that word, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I remembered it was from your speach during Bullet the Blue Sky on Rattle & Hum. I don't know what happened when I had this realization, but the rest of the class my attention was completely focused on what we were doing, and I found every single detail interesting. And it was all because of you. Now I consider myself to "have a heart for Africa".

On the end note, I guess I just have to say that I adore and admire you in every single way possible. You've come a long way to be at 50 now, and I hope you'll continue to have good health, a good heart, and a good life. I wish you the best on your birthday, good sir, and may your dreams be realized.

Love, Pride.

P.S.
Happy Birthday to Jordan too!!!  :)

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 01:44:47 PM »
Hey everybody.  I wrote a blog post about Bono turning 50 and thought you might be interested:

Hope you like it.

Matt

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2010, 02:11:18 PM »
When you stop seeing beauty you start growing old
The lines on your face are a map to your soul
When you stop taking chances you'll stay where you sit
You won't live any longer but it'll feel like it

Happy Birthday Bono and the beautiful Jordan!

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 02:11:20 PM »
Everyone posting their Bono Letters should post them on U2.com. I think there'd be more of a chance of him seeing them there. Unless y'all know something about him & here that I dont. :)

Offline dferry09

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Gonna go where the bright lights and big city meet
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 02:24:09 PM »
Hey everybody.  I wrote a blog post about Bono turning 50 and thought you might be interested:

Hope you like it.

Matt

Great job Matt.

Offline edgetastic [Vote Zaphod]

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Gonna kick the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2010, 02:58:38 PM »
Happy Birthday Bono ;D.

Offline AspiringDragon

• Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby; it'll be alright.
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2010, 03:18:59 PM »
I'm afraid that I don't have the time or patience to write such eloquent 'letters' as some of you to Bono...

But I do wish the B-man a happy 50th birthday! Here's to 50 more!

Offline Scottstar

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »
Hey there Bono (And Jordan)...happy 50th Bono & many more to you too. Thanks for all the gifts that you keep giving and hope that you provide us all with so many more too.
And Jordi, you're blessed to have a great Dad (trust me)...and even mo9re so to have a birthday to share too...many happy returns to you both...love always

Scott (NZ)