Author Topic: HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY, BONO!!!  (Read 16411 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: HAPPY 50TH BIRTHDAY, BONO!!!
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2010, 03:26:32 PM »
I was born
I was born to sing for you
I didn't have a choice but to lift you up
And sing whatever song you wanted me to
I give you back me voice
From the womb my first cry, it was a joyful noise...

Bono 1960 -

Offline Bonoffee

• Acrobat
  • Excise is a small price to pay for bliss.
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2010, 03:49:01 PM »
I don't think there's anything I could possibly add to everything SG has said. Beautifully put!

But, I'll put in my two cents anyway.

I remember listening to MLK when I was a little girl and couldn't sleep. My dad made me a fan, but it wasn't until the release of How To Dismantle And Atomic Bomb that I really got into your music. Since then a lot of things have changed. I have changed. I had to grow up faster than I would have liked and to say the past year(s) have been hard would be an understatement, but U2's music was there. Every day. On the good days, on the bad days and on the days I thought I couldn't go on. On those days I listened to Walk On, Ultraviolet, Breathe, Some Days Are Better Than Others, Miracle Drug, Moment of Surrender, Zooropa, Acrobat, Beautiful Day, Magnificent, Bad, etc. And they put me back on my feet. Your lyrics gave me courage and hope and strength when I thought I had none left. And the thing is, U2 is the only band I have ever been so passionate about. I think it's because when I hear you sing, I know you're not just singing a song, you're telling a story. You know what you're talking about when you sing "a heart that hurts is a heart that beats". Your life wasn't easy and yet you fought for your dreams. You kept going and proved everyone who told you you wouldn't make it wrong. You inspire me to do the same. You inspired me to be myself, to stand up for my beliefs and fight for my dreams. I may not always agree with everything you say, but I know you have a big heart and mean well. You do what you think is right. You do all you can. You fight for those who can't fight for themselves. And for that I admire you.

I can't sing and I don't play an instrument, I'm more of a writer. So naturally, your lyrics are what made me fall in love with U2 so much. I remember hearing Bad for the first time. It felt like you were telling my story, like you were saying, singing about all the things I never dared to say out loud. You made me want to write, to express myself. You made me wish I could inspire someone as much as you inspired me. Now, I write poems. Or maybe they're lyrics for unwritten songs. I don't know. But I do know that what made me start to write was hearing your lyrics. They were like nothing I had ever heard before. They are poetry.

There are many things I would like to say to you if I could meet you, many questions I'd like to ask, but if I ever got the chance to say one thing to you, it would be: Thank you.

Thank you for making me Walk On. Thank you for giving me strength and hope. Thank you for making me realize that for all the pain, all the sorrow, all the terrible things happening, it still is a beautiful day. And letting it get away would be stupid.

Lastly, I wish you a happy birthday. May your life be full of joy and happiness in the years to come and may your dreams be realized.

With much love,
BC

Offline AmericanAngel

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My nick-name is Wonder Woman.
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2010, 04:51:58 PM »
 Ditto what StrongGirl said! You have changed my life forever! Loveya! Happy Birthday Bono and many more!

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2010, 04:55:27 PM »
40 50

I waited patiently for the Lord
He inclined and heard my cry.
He brought me right out of the pit,
out of my miry clay.
I will sing a new song,
How long to sing this song?
He set my feet upon a rock,
and made my footsteps heard.
Many will see,
Many will see and fear.
I will sing, sing a new song.
How long to sing this song?

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2010, 06:49:59 PM »
YOUR THE REASON I SING, YOUR THE REASON WHY THE OPERAS IN ME............

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE HANDSOMEST GUY IN ROCK & ROLL....

LOVE YA BONO! ;)

Offline abalanaban

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2010, 07:07:11 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BONO!  Hope you have had a wonderful and relaxing birthday.  Looking forward to seeing you in Chicago in July!  ;D

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2010, 07:44:58 PM »
Happy 50th Birthday Bono! You could never imagine the positive impact you have had on my life. Your music has lifted me up through the trials of my life and has showed me the way. I am a better woman today because of those difficult days. I can't wait to see you and the boys in Denver...waiting to see what changes you have in store for us. Please play Dublin next year...I will be there!

Offline AltRockAddict

• Staring at the Sun
  • U2 has disappointed me. My entire collection 4sale
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2010, 08:16:36 PM »
I had chocolate cake and toasted you, Bono, with champagne, love and laughter... Here's to another 50! God bless you man!

Offline utwogirl

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • It was a Joyful Noise
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 09:28:01 PM »
Happy 50th Bono! There just aren't enough words to explain the joy that your music and words have brought to my life!  You are an amazing man, and an Angel on earth! Keep doing what your doing............Its a joyful noise!
Love ya to pieces! 8)

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2010, 12:34:57 AM »
My little poem to the man himself

An Ode To A 50 Year-Old Married Man

O bon anniversaire dear Bono
Fifty years old today
May your fans sing to you like Monroe
Seducing your man JFK

On record, in print, on stages
Your words douse, your voice lights your fans’ fire
Wild influence across all my ages
You arouse, you ignite, you inspire

So bon anniversaire dear Bono
Fifty years old today
May the hangover you have tomorrow
Alchemise to another Grammay
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:57:57 AM by cathalmc »

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2010, 01:16:35 AM »
Dear Paul

Words do not describe what you've given to this world.  Your heart pours forth a song of joy, your words pour forth a song of love.  Though a flawed man yourself, forever seeking what dreamers long to seek, you gave us the faith and the hope to dream out loud.  I am forever indebted to your uncanny wisdom and stark honesty.  You and your faith is humanity will one day guide us (and me) out of the darkness and into the light.

God bless you and your family on this day.  Happy 50th birthday Bono!!

Offline pilgrimtogo

• Numb
  • ALL THE SECRETS, NO ONE TO TELL
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2010, 02:07:15 AM »
Hapy Birthday to the man who dreams out loud,
The man who won't let anybody or anything drag him down
The man who agrees that some days are better than others!
The man who was born to sing for us,
The man who shares a birthday with his daughter
The man who's lyrics affects me positively every day of my life

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BONO!!

mariamontreal

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2010, 06:12:04 AM »
Happy B- DAY BONO, I love this time of year you and my mother share the same birthday , my 2 favorite  people in the world. All the best to you on your day , I made a birthday cake with you in mind . I am so looking forward to the 2 shows in Montreal ,after all I am Montreal's biggest fan . See you in the Red Zone in July ! Have a wonderful day .   :-*

Offline rattle and hum

• Stateless
  • Playing with the fire till the fire played with me
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2010, 06:35:10 AM »
Happy 50th, Bono Vox. Thanks for 50 years of inspiration, hope, love, and beautiful music. Without knowing it, you have changed my life in more ways than you could imagine. Thank you for always standing up and fighting for what you believe in.

Keep on being Magnificent!
Love,
Maria

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2010, 12:20:23 AM »
HAPPY [Belated] 50th Bono!  

Its the first time I'm late for my greetings here in years and everyone here has written such heartfelt praise and gratitude for you, so I will add mine...
I've loved U2 since 83 when I first heard a demo and have been a big fan ever since.  That VOICE.  And Passion  - both in song, writing, performances, zest for life, love, friendships, and everything you touch or grab hold of.  Or break down and reconstruct,  to build, create and inspire.  Like others here, I have been inspired by your singing, music, and life work, as well as having grown up along with the band's development and both followed and been inspired by your passion for humanity and Africa. DATA, ONE, (RED), UN Global Fund & Millenium, your devotion to Amnesty, Burma, Greenpeace, & Chernobyl... and then other offshoots that have been inspired like the fan AWF and others.   Your tenacity.  Honesty.  Idealism.  Integrity.  Strength of Character and conviction.  And sensitivity.  Your yin and yang sense of humour, sillyness, intelligence, wit,  and seriousness.  Your 'megalomaniacal Napolean "Rock Star" persona and real humility.  And your faith, love, and hope for the good and in people, despite relentless criticisms by both fans, press, and naysayers.  You rock on, walk on, and rarely falter.  Keep believing.  I know you will.  I do.  You're a role model although you never asked for that and I am happy for that.   

Personally, aside from the personal lift and inspiration I've gotten from your music,  performances,  and later my interest in your humanitarian work, I, like others here have noted, was lifted up from a very dark place some years back with personal tragedy that changed my life forever.  It was just two months after I bought ATYCLB.  I wore that CD out and for two years and missed Elevation tour but bought Vertigo and thought, I MUST see my band!  In trying to desperately find tickets, and not being all that familiar with boards, I found several U2 fan forums but here at M2's atu2, I found a community of wonderful people here, some just like me, and some who have become amazingly close friends both online and off. 

Those fans and friends,  are not unlike you although they are not rock stars.  You are an inspiration to many and in many different ways.   Those friends, this forum, your music and all the warmth, spirit, and inspiration you and the band show and share with us, renewed my faith in good people and for that matter,  life.  My spirit was renewed as is my reconnection with my band, my people, and myself.   Negativity sucks and so do terrible people or circumstances.  And you never know who is out there, or how one or a few small gestures can make a big difference.   So thank you & to m2 here too, b/c it is his fandom that created this site.

On top of meeting great people here and seeing U2 for Vertigo, I have gone to a few extra shows this leg, and with some of those great friends who embraced me here, meeting other fans too, that I've met on the boards here.  Incredible!   So love shared is love passed along and you and the band affect many.  Not just in 'mysterious' or superficial ways but for many of us, in very deep profound ways, across the globe, and with some who do not have a voice both in Africa and elsewhere. 

....And did I mention how FUN you are?  That too, obviously!  LOL  ;D  ( sorry we talk about your hotness so much!  - Levity & your patience with us helps too, even if we're sometimes fanatical or annoying... you know most of us are not scary so thanks for indulging or putting up with us!  :-*) We love you for that too.   

So I thank you and toast you Bono.  50 years of accomplishments and I look forward to seeing more from you.   And to your lovely daughter Jordan - for sharing her birthday with yours;  to Ali and your whole family for accepting and allowing you to do so, and to you - for sharing yourself with all of us.  It means alot.  And I hope I & others will pass it on too.    Sharing the love, and passing it on... We will.

Happy Birthday Bono, and to many many more.  You make it look very good indeed.  And rock on.  I'll see you in Denver!  WOOT!   8)

Slainte & Love
p8ru2  (that's passion-8, RU 2?)
Canada

@SG/ StrongGirl - What a beautiful and eloquent post!  Well done!   8)  And missey - love the poem too! 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 12:51:12 AM by p8ru2 »