Author Topic: is the friendship still there, or is it forced?  (Read 5312 times)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
is the friendship still there, or is it forced?
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »
i can't help noticing that in in the last decade and a half, u2 are a band who "put up with each other", rather than like each other's company. ok, edge and bono may be best buddies, but as far as the rest of the band goes, there seems to be a lot of discord. even on stage, there appears to be no bond between edge and adam, (despite handshake on chicago dvd, a little forced looking). i know they don't have to be best mates, but larry and adam always appear to be "out of the loop". they are allowed their say on new material for new albums. a democratic set-up, yes. but it seems this is the only time they spend time in each other's company, when a new album is being put together and touring ie; when they HAVE to "put up with each other".

they are all probably sick of the sight of each other when they tour together for 2 years at a time. i hope they can continue putting up with each other for years to come, if only for us selfish fans.

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
Re: is the friendship still there, or is it forced?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
I would have never entertained the thought for a second until I read this article:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

All I can say is that it made me feel deeply, tremendously sad and gave me my first pause to consider that maybe U2's days on this Earth are becoming limited...

Offline the Edge Gotto

• Elevated
  • U2, Peter Gabriel, and Genesis shall dominate
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 11:07:05 AM »
NO. U2 will never break up. No. Don't say such horrible things.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 11:27:10 AM »
I can only imagine that being in a band is like being in a marriage.  You can never tell from the outside what anyone's marriage is like, what holds people together.  People with a long history together have a relationship that no one outside of that relationship will ever understand.  If anyone has invested that much time into a relationship, there are bound to be annoyances, downright disagreements, and periods of time when you may not even like each other all that much.  Having been married for 18 years now (OMG!), I can say that if you are committed, that committment will see you through rough times and good times, and that love and commitment are powerful bonds.  (And I do not mean to imply here that they are in way in love, except in the most manly and hetero way!   ;))

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »

All I can say is that it made me feel deeply, tremendously sad and gave me my first pause to consider that maybe U2's days on this Earth are becoming limited...

Quite a leap from that article to "the band are maybe splitting up". Maybe some of ye here need the opening to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 11:58:56 AM »
I don't the leap is that wide in light of these words from Larry:

""I liked it (back then) because it created a bond that was unshakeable. Because the studio can be a difficult environment to work in, when people get het up and passionate. And when people become passionate they become difficult. So the further away you go from confirming your friendship, the harder it is."

Hopefully, I'm just overworking myself but, still, even if the band remains united for years to come, I find those words depressing...

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 12:21:02 PM »
Just wait, GP2.  Someday you will feel the farthest thing from friendship for your wife.  And yet, you will stick it out, and find that it all comes around.  And you'll remember yet again why you fell in love with her.  I'm projecting here, admittedly, but I can only imagine it's that way for the band. 

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 12:24:48 PM »
IMO since music is what brought them together in the first place, music will be what will keep them together even if other things don't work out well. Marriage is where you have your absolutely best and absolutely worse moments, but you make it through both. The only way I see any possible split is if one of them gives up, and neither is the giving up type.

Offline CiscoJP

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 12:28:22 PM »
I think everyone is panicking here. Remember during the AB session, when the band was fighting so bad that they admitted that fistfights almost broke out? Yet they are still together, and they've always said that they are best friends, no matter what they argue about. Bono being an activist and away from the band is nothing new. The other members of the band having little patience seeing him with certain politicians is not new. You can't take a few lines from an interview and jump to "the band is breaking up." If that were the case, U2 would have broken up decades ago, and they'd be a footnote rather than the biggest band in the world today.

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 01:10:02 PM »
they've always said that they are best friends

Yes, and I desperately hope voices such as yours and u2yooper are spot on about this, but the issue this time, according to Larry's quote, is not a stressor from outside that is weathered by their friendship, it is the strength of the friendship itself.  The enemy is now within, so to speak, and I dread if they don't put 100% of themselves into salvaging that post haste...

Offline Dark Angel

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Oh HAI
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 01:13:12 PM »
they've always said that they are best friends

Yes, and I desperately hope voices such as yours and u2yooper are spot on about this, but the issue this time, according to Larry's quote, is not a stressor from outside that is weathered by their friendship, it is the strength of the friendship itself.  The enemy is now within, so to speak, and I dread if they don't put 100% of themselves into salvaging that post haste...

One quote???? is that all you are basing this on? I would not entertain that horrible horrible thought for a second.  I have that magazine and if you read the whole article they do say that they are trying to work things out!

Like other people have said its a marriage, and know one really knows!

Another thing before I go, why would they split up when they have their 'best album yet' coming out?

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 01:14:40 PM »
Well, let's hope that going on a tour will shatter all the walls that have been built between them, and bring them back together. There is nothing like getting stuck with someone for a long, long, long, long time. Always brings you closer.

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 01:28:55 PM »
One quote???? is that all you are basing this on?

I don't know about the rest of you but even the whiff of internal dissention within U2 sends me into near hysterics.  Blow it off, if you will, but I'm gonna bite a few nails on this one until I start reading/seeing some cheerier group interviews...

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 01:31:14 PM »
Are you a Libra?   ;)

Offline CiscoJP

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »
One quote???? is that all you are basing this on?

I don't know about the rest of you but even the whiff of internal dissention within U2 sends me into near hysterics.  Blow it off, if you will, but I'm gonna bite a few nails on this one until I start reading/seeing some cheerier group interviews...

I just reread the article, because I didn't see this "dissention" in there the first time, and honestly, I still don't see it. I think you're reading way too much between the lines. All I get from this is that they are older and wiser now, and Larry prefers the quieter side of things, being home with his family, etc. Some quotes from the article...

Regarding Larry's criticism of Bono: "Larry's words were actually spoken in a tone of admiration for the singer."

Regarding how close Larry & Bono still are: "In the early days of U2, Bono and Larry were actually the closest in the band...And insiders believe that in some strange way they possibly still are the closest."