Poll

What song will open the next leg of the tour?

Magnificent
22 (28.9%)
Get on Your Boots
29 (38.2%)
Fez-Being Born
13 (17.1%)
No Line on the Horizon
5 (6.6%)
Stand Up Comedy
5 (6.6%)
I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
2 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author Topic: New Opener  (Read 5294 times)

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
New Opener
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:23:38 AM »
Willie Williams just said on WBWC that there will be a new opener for the next leg of the tour.  Assuming it's from the new album, which do you think it will be?

I'm guessing it will be GYOB due to the DVD.

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
Re: New Opener
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »
I am dreaming it will be Fez, I don't think it will be Crazy (they will prolly keep that the same way with Larry on the "move") and I also don't really think it will be SUC. Although, that has a good chance of being one of the other "surprise" set list changes he mentioned.

I think it will either be GOYB or Magnificent.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 09:35:15 AM »
I'm thinking/hoping it's Fez and dreading it being Stand Up.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:41:35 AM »
Since Breathe is one of U2's very best openers, I am surprised to hear that.  They didn't drop Zoo Station or Mofo but then 360 isn't a 'pre-programmed' show like Zoo TV and Pop-Mart.

If they are going to change it I'd like to see Fez:Being Born as the opener and I can see it happening too.  Shame it won't be on the official DVD release.

Offline CherryYouDanceWithMe

• Elevated
  • Larry "Boom Boom" Mullen
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 09:53:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Since Breathe is one of U2's very best openers, I am surprised to hear that.  They didn't drop Zoo Station or Mofo but then 360 isn't a 'pre-programmed' show like Zoo TV and Pop-Mart.

If they are going to change it I'd like to see Fez:Being Born as the opener and I can see it happening too.  Shame it won't be on the official DVD release.

;D Don't get me started

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 10:14:50 AM »
I wouldnt vote for any of those as an opener. I like the songs (with differing levels of enthusiasm  ;D). To me, a show opener needs a 'wow' factor. None of these songs would do that for me. Id really like them to mix it up a bit - 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Out Of Control, Surrender, Hawkmoon 269, something like that - LOL, I wish!  :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 10:26:07 AM »
I wouldnt vote for any of those as an opener. I like the songs (with differing levels of enthusiasm  ;D). To me, a show opener needs a 'wow' factor. None of these songs would do that for me. Id really like them to mix it up a bit - 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Out Of Control, Surrender, Hawkmoon 269, something like that - LOL, I wish!  :D

What about Jumping Jack Flash. ;D ::)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 10:33:34 AM »
Good outside bet would be Beautiful Day with the new intro

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 10:54:21 AM »
Good outside bet would be Beautiful Day with the new intro

I WOULD LOVE THIS

But I'm thinking its Magnificent, the one time it opened last year, the energy was great

Offline 1985

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 11:20:15 AM »
I'm finding it hard to vote for this, but I think that Breathe would benefit from being moved back into the set list -- make it something we build up toward. I'd like to see it maybe take the Walk On slot.

I think Magnificent would need to be optimized to work as an opener. It was a flatter live song than I expected. And Boots was better than I had expected but my expectations were pretty low. I don't think it has the weight to open.

Maybe, just maybe it will be something we've never heard before??

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 11:39:26 AM »
My money's on Boots.

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 03:14:07 PM »
Fez has a good conceptual fit, what with the idea of being born/starting anew and all, but it doesn't have the in-your-face quality that Zoo Station and Mofo have.  I don't see U2 opting for subtlety in an opener for stadiums, so my "probability" vote is for Boots.

But I wish it were Fez, Magnificent, or A Sort of Homecoming.   ;D

Offline Dfit00

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Sing for your sanity
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 09:49:58 AM »
Last Night On Earth, even if U2 is ashamed of the Pop album...  ::)

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 10:01:56 AM »
First pick:  Magnificent... It has the intro that can be extended and a build up to crescendo & energy, leading into a second powerful song like GOYB or SUC. 2nd pick - No Line.  Fez is way too mellow in tempo & transitional for an opener, unless it is it is piped in on loudspeaker as they come out onto the stage. 

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 10:17:57 AM »
I'm thinking they'll probably choose GOYB as the opener - it has quite a lot of speed and power, and is the most 'mainstream' of the new songs. Plus, if they used it as the Rose Bowl dvd, then i'm thinking that's the song u2 like the most - either that or it took the creation of a 360 concert dvd for them to realise they don't like breathe as an opener.
But i think Magnificent could work more effectively, although they'd need to lengthen the intro, to make it as impressive as the kingdom/breathe build up - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think this is the sound of Kingdom merging with Magnificent (you can here the violins of the first song, and Bono saying 'only love' replaying in the background), sounds pretty atmospheric... could work, i guess  :P
Personally, i hope they go with fez/being born, or No Line in the Horizon - the former can sound pretty epic if you play it really loud on a hifi, but the latter might have to be re-worked, its sounds a bit dull at the moment imo - Edge needs to make his guitar work more elaborate.