Author Topic: Get On Your Boots v. Electrical Storm ("In The Sound")  (Read 2895 times)

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
Get On Your Boots v. Electrical Storm ("In The Sound")
« on: January 22, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
"Electrical Storm" was U2's arguably most "pop" single never released on an album (other than Greatest Hits) and it has rarely been performed in concert.  Nevertheless, it is worth analysis and comparison to U2's newest release "Get On Your Boots".

Both songs suffer from fragmented ("read" weak lyrics- who can forget the line, "Air as heavy as a truck") lyrics and curious appearance as new U2 material.

What I really enjoy about Electrical Storm v. GOYB is that there is a dark, deep shudder feeling that is found in the William Orbit mix that I hope can be somehow replicated in new mixes of GOYB.  I would love to hear a reworking of GOYB to make it less lollipop and a lot more dark, dense and mysterious.   As if the band is locking Bono out of the song and he is singing to be let back in (Let Me In The Sound)....

I wish U2 retitled the song, "In The Sound" and not "Get On Your Boots"... it would change our initial reaction to it as a "U2" song...

What do you think?

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
Re: Get On Your Boots v. Electrical Storm ("In The Sound")
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 01:11:16 PM »
I find any five second snippet of GOYB to be infinitely better than the whole of "Electrical Storm", possibly U2's worst single ever...

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:21:09 PM »
@God Part II- You are kidding right???

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 01:30:05 PM »
No, not by any means whatsoever.

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 01:32:02 PM »
@God Part II,

Electrical Storm soars and is very much what is so sonic and compelling about U2's "sound".

A song that comes out of post 9/11 fear and uncertainty- one that crescendos with the Edge's guitar and Bono's voice in perfect conjugation... The aching words, "Baby don't Cry"....

v.

a song with a working title as "sexy boots" and is questionable as a first single and definitely in need of a remix.

Please tell me what is so compelling to you about "Get On Your Boots"?

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 01:49:16 PM »
It's less about what's right with GOYB and more about what's wrong with "Electrical Storm"--uncustomarily annoying guitar work from Edge, giving the song a grating, nails-on-a-chalkboard, unmelodic quality only partially alleivated in the William Orbit mix, and very likely the most off-putting and tone-deaf version of Bono's falsetto ever recorded, not at all offset in the William Orbit remix.  GOYB may be "Vertigo" redux, but Bono sounds like he's gonna take flight with his demand to let him in the sound, Edge is eating up the fabric of reality with his guitar and Larry and Adam are sending a bold, unmistakable message to the world--think U2 is just Bono and The Edge?  Well, kiss this!

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 02:06:09 PM »
@God Part II

I see from your reply, in GOYB The Edge is on fire and Bono's voice has never sounded better...

You and I, my friend are very different fans of U2...

Let me ask everyone out there this question...

Would we like "Get On Your Boots" better if there was less of Bono's haphazard verses and it was simply titled, "In The Sound"?

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 02:21:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
@God Part II

I see from your reply, in GOYB The Edge is on fire and Bono's voice has never sounded better...

Yes to the former and whoa, whoa, whoa, let's not get too hyperbolic with what I said to the latter...

I do think Bono sounds loads better in GOYB than ES, though, yes...

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »

Bono's voice will never again reach the pinnacle it achieved in 'Mofo'.

Offline adam1

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 04:35:26 PM »
I've heard two versions of ES. The more acoustic version is a great, soaring , twisting song. The Edge does what he does best and Bono's voice sounds good. The electric guitar version is much inferior. U2 obviously thought ES was good enough of being released as the only single to support their 1990-2000 greatest hits package. I've already given my view of 'Boots' in another post. At the moment I think ES is the better song.

Offline ProofThatThisIsReal

• Party Girl/Boy
  • That's no moon...
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
I've heard 3 versions of Electrical Storm - all different.

I'd say that right now I like Electrical Storm better, too. 

(notice how that doesn't give anything away about how I love/hate 'Get On Your Boots' or 'Electrical Storm', thus no stupid negative arguments can come up  ;D)

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2009, 08:56:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Electrical Storm" was U2's arguably most "pop" single never released on an album (other than Greatest Hits) and it has rarely been performed in concert.  Nevertheless, it is worth analysis and comparison to U2's newest release "Get On Your Boots".

Both songs suffer from fragmented ("read" weak lyrics- who can forget the line, "Air as heavy as a truck") lyrics and curious appearance as new U2 material.

What do you think?

Sad to say, but  'air as heavy as a truck' actually means something to me..

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 09:11:03 PM »
Ha, when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was gonna be about the similar lyric is these two songs - "Swimming in the sound" vs. "Let me in the sound." Different "sounds" though. Anyway...

Electrical Storm is one of my three favorite U2 songs. The William Orbit mix, I mean. It's so haunting, and it just feels......stormy. "Heavy as a truck" sounds funny...but the air really does get heavy when a storm is coming...or when there's intense tension between people.

Offline domino

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2009, 09:16:47 PM »
I love ES, particularly its imagery. I've always found it very soothing. I also prefer the Orbit remix...I find the electrical version too..cacophonous (esp. the end gah) but I like the post-chorus guitar lick.

I would never compare it to GOYB though...ES is more personal and intimate, it's always evoked a subtle sense of desperation for me...while GOYB is playful and sexy with a political bent. Too different imo. Love them both :)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 09:21:33 PM »
I love the falsetto on Electrical Storm.

Ele-tri-cal Storm.  :D