Author Topic: Beautiful Day - Lee's first single? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!  (Read 8884 times)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Re: Beautiful Day - Lee's first single? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2010, 11:47:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm afraid that young kids like us would now connect Beautiful Day with this Lee guy more than they would U2.  To put myself in the shoes of a 16 year old girl in Idol's main demographic, I wouldn't care about who's song it is originally.  Lee sang it, thats all I care about.
uhh that wont happen becauuse of the fame of u2's version and the fact that it's still relatively new.
lee's version wont last as long :D.
u2's will be a classic forever.
this wont be one of those cases where the remake takes over. idol people last about.. what, 2 weeks before the disappear off the radar?

The song is 10 years old, us kids these days see songs that are a month old as old.  No one loves BD more than me, but its not new at all.  True that this Lee guy probably wont become anything, but for the time being, Beautiful Day will be associated with him and his winning of American Idol, not with U2.  

What has his singing of BD done or will do for the song or the band and their respective popularity?  Nothing.  My sister and her 3 friends didnt become BD or U2 fans after they watched Lee sing it at my house.  My sister even told me "Christopher, Lee sang that song you really like by your band".  Its safe to say she wasnt converted.  His singing of it can can only possibly slightly diminish the song.  

If this is a legitimate attempt by the band to reach a younger audience, this is a TERRIBLE way to do it.  And I'm never critical of the band :D

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2010, 11:50:19 PM »
The world is a colder place today...

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2010, 04:08:11 AM »
I'm afraid that young kids like us would now connect Beautiful Day with this Lee guy more than they would U2.  To put myself in the shoes of a 16 year old girl in Idol's main demographic, I wouldn't care about who's song it is originally.  Lee sang it, thats all I care about.
uhh that wont happen becauuse of the fame of u2's version and the fact that it's still relatively new.
lee's version wont last as long :D.
u2's will be a classic forever.
this wont be one of those cases where the remake takes over. idol people last about.. what, 2 weeks before the disappear off the radar?

The song is 10 years old, us kids these days see songs that are a month old as old.  No one loves BD more than me, but its not new at all.  True that this Lee guy probably wont become anything, but for the time being, Beautiful Day will be associated with him and his winning of American Idol, not with U2.  

What has his singing of BD done or will do for the song or the band and their respective popularity?  Nothing.  My sister and her 3 friends didnt become BD or U2 fans after they watched Lee sing it at my house.  My sister even told me "Christopher, Lee sang that song you really like by your band".  Its safe to say she wasnt converted.  His singing of it can can only possibly slightly diminish the song.  

If this is a legitimate attempt by the band to reach a younger audience, this is a TERRIBLE way to do it.  And I'm never critical of the band :D
true, but beautiful day is far too heavily asscociated with U2 these days for younger people not to draw links back to them..
when a LOT of todays audience (particularly the young guys) here U2 they think Beautiful Day and/or Vertigo straight away.
... not to mention, as a general rule, when a remake of ANY song is popular, the sales of the original get high enough to get it into the back end of the top 100 most often.
and considering the original isn't that old, (doesn't "sound" old, has a modern production style), and has a TON of pop appeal... i mean that's just even more going for it.

Offline dferry09

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Gonna go where the bright lights and big city meet
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2010, 05:24:42 AM »
I will be avoiding it at ALL costs. Im so disappointed.

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2010, 05:26:24 AM »
i dont get it- why is it the end of the world to some of you guys?
you dont HAVE to listen to it..

Offline SBMitch

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Somebody stepped inside your soul
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2010, 07:26:16 AM »
Just listened to the final audio version on the atU2 blog via Twitter. Still not in love with it today like I was last night, I don't think he has the voice to carry the song -but its not as terrible. I still don't like it and I may turn it off when it comes on the radio, but what can we do? Final audio has him singing the correct lyrics, so there's that. This week hasn't been easy for U2 fans and this may have sent some of us, self included, a little over the edge (lol...Edge...), but we can always pop in the original and wait for Crystal's album to come out and see what Lee comes up with in his album, right?

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2010, 07:44:57 AM »
Not only does he butcher the first lien of the song, but he also screws up the bridge.  I am sure they took a line or two out, but after "all the colors came out" their is dead space where there should be some lyrics in there.

He did it on both performances.

BTW:  I sped thru much of it, but I would have liked a "Get Well Soon Bono" shout out.  Maybe it was there, and I missed it.

Offline AmericanAngel

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • My nick-name is Wonder Woman.
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2010, 09:52:40 AM »
Music fans don't watch Idol.

For the record, I am a music fan, I enjoy quiche, and I do watch American Idol .   :P ;)
I choose NOT to watch this year, but watch last night........the girl should have won...& sigh....REALLY? That was the worst ..Lee was appalling (as Simon would say, utterly disasterous!) I hope U2 changes their minds to not have Lee sing this on his album.........grrrrrrr >:(

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »
Well that's kind of unoriginal.. there was a guy on some British Idol thing that won it with Beautiful Day a few years back wasn't there?..

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2010, 01:03:01 PM »
I just watched it. Good grief. The guy sounds like.. like.. squirrels suffocating or something. and he fudged up the lyrics all over the place. & he's putting that out as a single..?  :-\ you're kidding right? UGH!

Offline mcnealy

• Babyface
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2010, 03:20:10 PM »
Just listened to it on iTunes (it's currently #4 on their top 10 btw).

Not good. Not bad, but definitely not good either.

I'm fine with it existing, but if I hear this thing on every kid's car radio this summer, after hearing them diss U2 for years...

I'll have some good ammunition. If they say this Lee guy sounds better, I've got the ORIGINAL version to blow holes in that ship.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2010, 03:46:28 PM »
I watch AI because I love music. But I noticed that in the three years I've been watching it, my favorite finalist loses.

Offline iluEdge

• Stateless
  • when you stop seeing beauty, you start growing old
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2010, 06:03:15 PM »
Just listened to the final audio version on the atU2 blog via Twitter. Still not in love with it today like I was last night, I don't think he has the voice to carry the song -but its not as terrible. I still don't like it and I may turn it off when it comes on the radio, but what can we do? Final audio has him singing the correct lyrics, so there's that. This week hasn't been easy for U2 fans and this may have sent some of us, self included, a little over the edge (lol...Edge...), but we can always pop in the original and wait for Crystal's album to come out and see what Lee comes up with in his album, right?

that's a very "half full" approach SBM - I like it!  Let's see, we've touched on the change of lyrics & Lee's lack of range for the song, but everyone here has failed to mention the horrible presence of female backup singers...
nonetheless, the reality has set in and I have accepted it.

Offline SBMitch

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Somebody stepped inside your soul
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2010, 08:42:44 PM »

that's a very "half full" approach SBM - I like it!  Let's see, we've touched on the change of lyrics & Lee's lack of range for the song, but everyone here has failed to mention the horrible presence of female backup singers...
nonetheless, the reality has set in and I have accepted it.

Well, once I settled down and heard the full audio, I admit to softening my stance a bit, and can take the flak that comes with it. But yeah, we have not touched upon the female backup singers. I know Bono tried to have female backup singers starting out and that idea died pretty quickly. Probably for the best. As a string player, I like their increased presence on the song in some parts, but the original string arrangement is perfect as well.

You listen to Lee and this song...and you just know its not Edge playing.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2010, 10:38:39 PM »
I don't think teenagers will go hunting for the original by U2 after hearing Lee's version. Only those who really like to dig for music, maybe. But the average teen? Nah, it won't hit them, "oh, this is a cover of a U2 song, let's see which one was better."