Author Topic: Article Suggestion: Bono v. Edge, War of the Words  (Read 2796 times)

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
Article Suggestion: Bono v. Edge, War of the Words
« on: May 30, 2010, 07:50:33 AM »
This is a subject that's been on my mind lately, and it occurred to me that it could make an interesting original @U2 article (that is, unless it's already been written and/or discussed at length in the Forum and I just didn't spot it).

How do the lyrics written by Bono alone, the Edge alone, and Bono & Edge collaboratively differ or share similarities, and how have they all evolved over time? Admittedly this might be a tough subject as I'm sure it's not always clear who wrote what. For example, I know that Edge came up with Sunday, Bloody Sunday, but did he write the whole thing or just get the ball rolling? (After a visit to Wikipedia I see that it was more the latter, as I thought I remembered reading somewhere a while back.)

The two men are so radically different, I think it would be a very interesting read to break the lyrics apart and see what each man's contribution looks like under the microscope.

Thanks!

Offline MERLIU2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Article Suggestion: Bono v. Edge, War of the Words
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 11:02:48 AM »
 8)Cool!

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 11:29:41 PM »
interesting idea crossing, thanks for sharing.
I do believe, however, making an article like that would be nearly impossible.
U2 in an interview once highlighted the fact that U2 is very much a 4 legged chair (or something :D) and that all 4 legs work together and no one takes precedent or charge over another, and no one does more than anyone else.
this was followed by one of them saying that it doesn't matter whose idea it was, and that they don't pay attention to that, they just build off it.

So i highly doubt lyrics written by edge and lyrics written by Bono are distinctly seperated and can be compared.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 11:42:17 PM »
Designer handbag. :drools:

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 01:28:51 AM »
Hmm, I can only really think of two songs off the top of my head that Edge wrote the lyrics for--Van Diemen's Land and Numb. Any others? :?

Offline CrossingGo

• Refugee
  • No one, no one is blinder than me
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:10:59 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hmm, I can only really think of two songs off the top of my head that Edge wrote the lyrics for--Van Diemen's Land and Numb. Any others? :?

I remember that he contributed at least the titles for Sunday Bloody Sunday and I Still Haven't Found.  He wrote at least a portion of Wake Up Dead Man (the intro verse for sure).  And I know you see "Lyrics, Bono & The Edge" on a number of songs if you look through the albums.  My CDs are all packed away so I can't skim through them right now  :)

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 04:53:55 PM »
I don't believe there is a lot of documentation on specific contributions to lyrics within each song. It would be an interesting comparison though if such material could be located.