Author Topic: Working on 3 new Albums!  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
Working on 3 new Albums!
« on: June 03, 2010, 01:21:21 PM »
From @U2:
Since wrapping up the 2009 leg in October, the band has been in the studio working on three albums simultaneously: Songs of Ascent, a second volume from the sessions for last year's No Line On The Horizon; the score from the Broadway musical Spiderman; and a set of entirely new songs.

I can actually see at least two of these coming to light by years end/Holidays-  :)
What do you all think?

Moderators please note-
I wasn't sure which board, this or General, so please place where appropriate, thanks!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:23:22 PM by Jono »

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: Working on 3 new Albums!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 05:26:41 PM »
I can't see any of the above coming to light by year's end, or even the end of next year, but I am a notorious pessimist on these things!

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 12:26:59 AM »
i think there'll be a decent release by the end of next year but this year i think an EP and remaster of old album (R&H probably) would be about the best i'd hope for.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 05:26:19 AM »
i think we'll get an ep to make up for the cancellation of tour dates and glastonbury. i hope so anyway.

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 06:18:35 AM »
yes, i am a 'half full' type...
we will have 'something new' by the holidays...ok, maybe not 2 new LP's...but as Miami pointed out, CERTAINLY at least an EP!

Offline U2 Fanatic

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 09:56:08 AM »
This is awesome news!  I'm really anxious to get the new U2 album out.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 01:26:03 PM »
It's great to find out that they have got and/or are preparing quite a large number of new studio material.
In the end, the labelhead will have the last thing to say on whether anything of that new material gets released or we'll get another reissue package (because they sell like pancakes these days) or another compilation album with a few new tracks (just like they have released one between every new album in the 2000s).

I get the feeling that the band U2 are currently being held back by their record deal. They could release a lot more because of the obvious signs that they clearly have written and recorded more new material.

The fact that the Rubin session tapes don't get a mention in here make me wonder if they might have abandoned the beauty that is "All My Life I've Been Waiting For This Moment I'm In". That would be a real shame because the song as it is ranges amongst their best work. Plus: I like the intimate setting of the band arrangements on that one very much.

But to be honest, I expect nothing more coming out this year than another reissue in time for the Xmas market.

satellitedog01

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 03:05:33 PM »
Hmm. Trying to be realistic, I'd think we might see the Spider Man material released, and as that's theatrical material, it might be a shortened compilation of the most poppy stuff. Songs of Ascent has a chance to get a 2011 spring release, but let's hope for the pre holiday release.
The third could be anything from 3-5 years away. :-)

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 03:54:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
From @U2:
Since wrapping up the 2009 leg in October, the band has been in the studio working on three albums simultaneously: Songs of Ascent, a second volume from the sessions for last year's No Line On The Horizon; the score from the Broadway musical Spiderman; and a set of entirely new songs.

I can actually see at least two of these coming to light by years end/Holidays-  :)
What do you all think?

Moderators please note-
I wasn't sure which board, this or General, so please place where appropriate, thanks!

Oh.....I hope so.  Especially Songs of Accent, and a set of entirely new songs.  Must put this on my Santy Wish List.

Offline ZooTV8

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 03:08:10 PM »
Regarding the "ENORMOUS ANNOUNCEMENT," Universal posted the following Twitter posts earlier today (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)... 

I think the most important of these messages is that the "Enormous Announcement" seems to have been pushed back to Wednesday.  Apparently, you'll also need to "follow" @LabelAZ on Twitter to receive the announcement. 

I used Babelfish.com to translate the following messages: 

TODAY (MONDAY @ 1:00 AM U.S. EDT)
FRENCH: U2/dernière precision, gaining it (or gaining it) will be obligatorily a follower Az Label!
TRANSLATION: U2/dernière précision, le gagnant (ou la gagnante) sera obligatoirement un follower du Label Az ! (I.e., "You'll have to follow AZLabel on Twitter to learn more...")

FRENCH: U2/ mercredi matin : le nom du gagnant !!!!
TRANSLATION: U2/ Wednesday morning: the name of gaining!!!!

U2/Montrez nous que vous êtes celui qui le mérite, que vous êtes un vrai fan de U2 --> (tweete suivant)
TRANSLATION: U2/Montrez us that you are that who deserves it, that you are a true fan of U2 --> (tweete according to)

LAST FRIDAY VIA TWITTER: RAPPEL U2 ///UNE ENORME SURPRISE vous attendra ici la semaine pro! FOLLOW US & watch : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
TRANSLATION: RECALL U2 ///UNE ENORMOUS SURPRISE will await you here the week pro! US FOLLOW & watch: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'll keep track of future Twitter posts, too...

Lance A. Schart
Chicago, IL USA

Offline HarlemsAngel94

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • How much air will I Needtobreathe?
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 03:41:30 PM »
I definitely hope to hear something new by the holidays but I don't want the boys to overwork/overproduce it. I feel like they did that for NLOTH and that led to limited success. Hopefully we can hear the rest of the NLOTH sessions and maybe the "brand" new material within the next two years or so.

I was trying to figure out if Mercy would go under any of those categories but I can't think of anything =(

Offline DanM321

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 05:32:38 PM »
I don't want the boys to overwork/overproduce it. I feel like they did that for NLOTH and that led to limited success.

Bullseye!  (IMO :) )

With all due respect, U2 are hugely guilty of overthinking themselves in the studio since 1997.  I'm reminded of the recording sessions for Pop, when Edge mentioned they'd recorded around 400 versions of 'Mofo'...I like 'Mofo' alright, but I think a lot of the rest of that record suffered as well.  It becomes difficult to see the forest through the trees when you've reconsidered everything not once, or twice, or ten times, but a hundred times or a thousand times.  Black turns into white and white into black, and what you were once confident in and/or surprised by seems trivial.  It's therefore easy to lose almost all sense of spontaneity.

Offline DTH

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 02:19:19 AM »
The Spider Man stuff is either going to completely surprise everyone and be amazing, or will be hailed as irrefutable evidence that the band needs to hang it up.  To me, it seems like so obviously a bad idea that it must actually be good.

Offline DanM321

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 02:46:18 AM »
To me, it seems like so obviously a bad idea that it must actually be good.

Ha!!  Great insights around here, folks.  Re: the Spider-Man project, I originally felt the same way about HMTMKMKM - it was disheartening to see the name "U2" alongside artwork for the movie 'Batman Forever' (which IMO is still a really terrible movie...in the band's defense, though, even Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds contributed a song to that same soundtrack...if Nick Cave can keep his indie cred after that, U2 has no worries).  As the years have gone by, I think it was a mistake not to include HMTMKMKM on Zooropa (it was recorded during the Zooropa sessions) - it's a great 'trashy' modern U2 song, and IMO is much better than a few of the songs that did make it onto Zooropa.

Offline Stateless_Passenger

• Stateless
  • "Don't want to change the frame..."
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 03:54:35 AM »
I'd imagine they might mix Songs of Ascent with new tunes they've written very recently possibly for a release later this year.