Author Topic: WAIT! What is "Boots" about anyway?  (Read 3292 times)

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
WAIT! What is "Boots" about anyway?
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »
So, we all have now heard this song and voiced our opinions.  But what is this song about....?

Is the title a colloquial phrase from Ireland or Britain?  Does "Get on you boots" mean- I better get it together before I get kicked out of here?

I hear it as a warning by Larry to Bono to not stray to far away from the music and that then the band will let Bono back in the "sound".

I remember reading how Bono early on in the recording of NLOTH was absent from the sessions and the other band members were working on without him as he traveled the world to meet with Bush and Blair.

Also, it does appear that this song is an amalgamation of at least two different songs... any thoughts here?

And Bono does use the word "beautiful" often in the last two albums and the reference here is pretty clear... but why?

I like this song when I read between the lines and see that Bono makes fun of who he is and that he is at risk of losing the "sound" that got him here...

So, I would really enjoy hearing what this song is about to you-

It as a deceptively simple song and yet holds a sly warning to Bono to get back in the band...

U2 - "Get On Your Boots"

The future needs a big kiss
Winds blows with a twist
Never seen a moon like this
Can you see it too?

Night is falling everywhere
Rockets at the fun fair
Satan loves a bomb scare
But he wonít scare you

Hey, sexy boots
Get on your boots, yeah

You free me from the dark dream
Candy floss ice cream
All our kids are screaming
But the ghosts arenít real

Hereís where we gotta be
Love and community
Laughter is eternity
If joy is real

You donít know how beautiful
You donít know how beautiful you are
You donít know, and you donít get it, do you?

Thatís someoneís stuff theyíre blowing up
Weíre into growing up
Women of the future
Hold the big revelations

I got a submarine
You got gasoline
I donít want to talk about wars between nations

Not right now

Hey sexy bootsÖ
Get on your boots, yeah
Not right now
Bossy boots

Hey sexy boots
I donít want to talk about the wars between the nations
Sexy boots, yeah

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, sound
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, now
God, Iím going down
I donít wanna drown now
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Meet me in the sound

Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Yeah hey hey

Song Information

Released 15 February 2009 (digital only), 16 February 2009
Genre Rock
Label Universal
Writers U2
Producer Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois

eastlink

Re: WAIT! What is "Boots" about anyway?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:39:36 AM »
Good topic - Am interested to see how people interpret this. I'm pretty sure that people will hear different things within the lyrics, which is the best part.

The interview Bono gave with Brian Williams in Africa at about the same time you mentioned explains the difference between the Product Red and the One campaign. Bono said something like - if Red is the charitable response to Aids and extreme poverty through commerce development, then One is the 'marching boots' - the political movement to further social justice. I think he's saying that those boots can be filled by just about anybody in any situation - not just in the official 'One' boots. I think the song is about finding the right persuasion for the right circumstance to better our global situation, and by doing so we better ourselves.

Or it could mean that Ali is getting ready to release a new line of boots through Edun??
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 12:06:55 PM by eastlink »

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:36:13 PM »
I am surprised that more people have not posted their thoughts on what "Get On Your Boots" is about...

Any takers?

Offline Loose Electricity

• Wanderer
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:48:02 PM »
That's what's so great about u2 lyrics they are so multidementional.
This lyric stands out to me.

I got a submarine
You got gasoline
I donít want to talk about wars between nations.

I think bono is mocking the major world powers. Every nation flexes their muscles and shows what they got.He's kinda saying it's rediculous to argue about these things.Maybe Bono is disgusted and fed up and says I don't want to talk about wars between nations.
Submarine could be equated with technologies
Gasoline could be equated with Gas of course.

Or maybe "I donít want to talk about wars between nations" is just showing how he doesn't want to talk about heavy issues and he just wants this song to be fun.
Many hatters of this song saythey don't like it because of the "senseless" lyrics, but that's why i think the song is great It's just a light fun song with many layers.So many U2 songs are about heavy topics, which is great but I also love to just listen to a song where i could crank the volume and rockout.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 11:47:55 PM »
It is Paul Hewson's song to Larry Mullen Jnr that he wants back inside the band because it is importnat to him. We have discussed this before in one of the billion threads.

Offline silverbad

• Stateless
  • see the future just hanging there...
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 05:55:51 AM »
Okay I will post this though I haven't been to bed, and will regret doing it, and I will probably get dinged for this. This is not what I think they meant to say, but what I hear  during the song-if I really go deep, but I think it is just a fun song really.  The Hawaiin sound in the middle (Obama from Hawaii) In college we dissected Emily Dickenson poems. Every word had like 3 meanings. The literal, the implied and then the unconscious which the poet was unaware of.  I kinda did the song like I did her poems---so it isn't my feelings but what I found....AGAIN it is just a fun song....but if I had to do this for a class....and I know it sounds USA centered....but I am from there so that is what I hear....others would hear different things. And I didn't put Bush down in this because I wanted to but because it is what I saw in the lyrics.

U2 - "Get On Your Boots"  IDONT BELIEVE ALL THIS---JUST IS WHAT I HAVE HEARD IN LYRICS
These are not my feelings-just what comes to mind when I think what could this line mean....

(greet the future with hope)

Winds blows with a twist   
(Obama from Windy City -first AA President wind brings change)

(Presidents have terms and moons have cycles --Obama broke barriers as President)

Can you see it too?   
(not just for the USA-the rest of the world sees the hope)

Night is falling everywhere 
(We are still in dark as much as in 2001--no peace and getting worse)

Rockets at the fun fair   
(war is gone into casually by Bush  -according to some pp---)

Satan loves a bomb scare   
(main objective of terrorism is spreading fear -not by the bombs themeselves)

But he wonít scare you   
(Terrorists do not make the world back down---)

Hey, sexy boots         
(soldiers boots---to some pp Bush made war sound glorified-- fight for peace, freedom, duty of country)

Get on your boots, yeah   
(find the WMD save the world--not as simple as that....none found, and Sadam gone but we are still there though the main objective to war has been found to be non existent....new reasons are added to stay in Iraq...spread democracy now, build future for Iraq, rebuild etc.)

(Bush's presidency or taking Sadam out of power; and or wars in Iraq and Afghanistan-change in command)

Candy floss ice cream               
(fragile and sugar coated reasons for war -Freedom Peace. Also could mean prior to 911 we were innocent--to the worlds horrors of terrorism-then all hell broke loose --we forced to grow up and quick, had been country of gluttony and spoiled lifestyles. Valued things, toys, cars, jewely--symbolized here by ice cream and candy floss....things with no real nutritional value...we value hollow fragile flimsy fleeting things)

(Innocence and Indifference give way to fear and anger as 911 occurs and soldiers scrambling to Iraq and Afghanistan to make a difference-and they do)

(weapons of MD aren't there- reason for war / threat of nuclear weapons

((screaming and ghosts--not real---surreal changes in world))

Hereís where we gotta be     
(Heres what we really need to value and not take for granted....no more hollow values)

Love and community             
(Obama was a community organizer--okay that is a reach I know--but ran on love of country. Also could mean no more gluttony and taking for granted what we have--no more ice cream and cotton candy (i.e. cars jewelry games)--those things aren't what are important but love and family and friends are---we discover that after 911 to the nth degree)

Laughter is eternity             
(Good times need to be remembered just as our nations tragedies and that is what is important to treasure--not things like toys and jewelry--candy floss ice cream as mentioned above...we need to reevaluate and adjust our values to become great once more--what we were founded on)

If joy is real                       
(remember the ghosts aren't real/bush lead on=fear   Obama=ran on hope, toys, cars --again the 'ice cream and cotton candy' of our lives are real but joy is the real thing to value...happiness is the greatest thing to attain)

((laughter and joy--real))

(America the Beautiful)

(we take it for granted all we have others have less)

Thatís someoneís stuff theyíre blowing up           
(we don't always hit our targets--civ casualties-and again people never say oh no they bombed my house-I hope my stereo is okay--it is about lives-they realize the true value of family in war---we grow up quick realizing what is valuable)

Weíre into growing up                                     
(would like to see children grow up not die in war--again no more innocence in war--puts end to pettiness)

Women of the future                                       
(we are making a difference in womens lives in Iraq-going to school and will affect the future of their country...)

Hold the big revelations (Lady Liberty and her Lamp=light and revelation, and the countries who are fighting in Iraq are able to enlighten others to see their value and contributions to their country)

I got a submarine                                         
(USA, and many other countries are considered powerful because they have the military)

You got gasoline                                           
(Middle East has the oil-that is the power they have in Middle East the world considers their value in their possession of oil )

I donít want to talk about wars between nations   
(not as simple as just 'war'--religious fanatics complicate it--it isn't about them vs. us---but good vs. evil and what side do you choose to be on....it is about the people who are affected.....it isn't Iraq against USA....A war is never cut and dried us vs. them like a football game...rather land, religion, oil, persecution, genocide. And some felt the war was about guns (submarines) for oil (gasoline) it isn't about countries but again things people value....what leverage we or they have in the big picture. etc)

Not right now                                               

Hey sexy bootsÖ

Get on your boots, yeah
(cuz it is getting deep in here with all the propaganda re the war--no WMD, and yet no where near the number of troops in Afghanistan as in Iraq. Al-Quaida (sp? sorry) attacked us with Bin Laden...not Iraq...but here we have no Osama---and last year of presidency he barely mentions finding him....it is all distraction of Iraq rebuilding...not finding Osama)

Not right now

Bossy boots                       
(I heard Foxy boots -hillary if she won? If bossy then CIC Obama--boss)

Hey sexy boots

I donít want to talk about the wars between the nations

Sexy boots, yeah

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound, now
God, Iím going down
I donít wanna drown now
Meet me in the sound

Let me in the sound
Let me in the sound
Meet me in the sound

Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Get on your boots
Yeah hey hey

Song Information

Released 15 February 2009 (digital only), 16 February 2009
Genre Rock
Label Universal
Writers U2
Producer Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois

Offline silverbad

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 06:01:53 AM »
Or not...

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 06:44:14 AM »
Why do some people think that every U2 song is entirely about the US government?! I think in the case of this song, that's wildly off the mark.

eastlink

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 07:21:37 AM »
In after thought (not from this thread), All I can think of is that expression that goes something like - Get your boots on, because the bulls@#* is getting thick.  ;D

Offline RossG1977

• Wanderer
  • It's better to burn out than fade away....
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 09:07:16 AM »
To me, when I read the lyrics of Boots, it is about letting go of the world, all it's wars, all it's problems... and just forgetting about it all... have fun, be in the moment.

NOw, I don't know if "Get on your boots" is a saying in Ireland or the UK or whatnot, so help us out here if you know what it means.

Offline silverbad

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 11:59:59 PM »
I think I SAID I didn't feel they wrote it as an American centered song----I SAID this is what I think of when I hear it....."AGAIN it is just a fun song....but if I had to do this for a class....and I know it sounds USA centered....but I am from there so that is what I hear....others would hear different things. And This is not what I think they meant to say, but what I hear  during the song-if I really go deep, but I think it is just a fun song really."  SO I DON"T """think that every U2 song is entirely about the US government?! I think in the case of this song, that's wildly off the mark."""" Read my post next time....and what is the mark....we all want to know....

Offline silverbad

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 12:23:23 AM »
Sorry I suppose it was a lot to read so it was probably missed but I did specifically address that....so it bugged me when of course someone brought it up....I am sorry...

large7

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 05:22:22 AM »

God, these lyrics read like an illiterate teenager wrote them.

Try:

Winds blows with a twist
Can you see it too?

How exactly does wind 'blow with a twist' - they're not even impressionistic - just nonsensical.

Or perhaps:

Candy floss ice cream

What does a 'dark dream' have to do with 'candyfloss ice cream'. Why are 'kids screaming' and which 'ghosts aren't real'.

I would say it's a case of style over substance but these words have no style either. Bono sometimes writes really nice stuff like:

You don't have to put up a fight
You don't have to always be right
Let me take some of the punches
For you tonight

But mostly he joins words and sentences together that don't read and don't make sense. Muppet. And please, Bono, REMOVE THOSE STUPID SUN GLASSES.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 06:27:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sorry I suppose it was a lot to read so it was probably missed but I did specifically address that....so it bugged me when of course someone brought it up....I am sorry...

My fault, I rather skim-read your original post and as you say, it's quite long and I missed that crucial tidbit of information. Apologies, I guess my post was really aimed at the Youtube users who keep saying things like "this is about Obama" or "this is about Iraq" etc, and I'm thinking "eh ... no not really". But your personal interpretation is just as valid to you, I do it with loads of songs too. But at least you recognise that that probably wasn't the intention of the song, unlike the aforementioned Youtube users.

eastlink

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 06:37:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

How exactly does wind 'blow with a twist

And please, Bono, REMOVE THOSE STUPID SUN GLASSES.

Could be global warming resulting in more hurricanes, more tornadoes. Then again, might not be  ???  The sunglasses are adding nothing - I totally agree.