Author Topic: WAIT! What is "Boots" about anyway?  (Read 3271 times)

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: WAIT! What is "Boots" about anyway?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 11:26:11 AM »
I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I read it on the @U2 news homepage that Bono said it was about how men " messed" (f word was used) up the world and how it was time to put it in the hands of the women!  (Oh, sorry for the run on sentence!)  Anyway, I am not man bashing here. It was a quote from Bono I believe.  So there you go.  ;)  What do you think?

Offline silverbad

• Stateless
  • see the future just hanging there...
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 12:34:42 AM »
Seems pretty on track seeing the video now huh? I loves it.....Just need some sound. LET me in the SOUND

Offline silverbad

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 05:58:16 PM »
anybody else have any other ideas since the video is out.....?

Offline thisprayer

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 09:11:16 PM »
I found both the song and video so tremendously intriguing. It may not be top ten radio fod, but what I've heard I really like in every way. The video has a rather psychological disturbing/shocking effect, to where you look at the images of the band members almost for relief. Shock is perhaps the main emotion they want to open our minds to hear the rest. Shock at where we are. And I think it mirrors the song showing a background of innocent "fun fair" images collaged with images of war, bloody boots, a woman's pure nakedness covered in military ribbons, etc. (Aside: As a woman, I do hope that U2 isn't counting on us for salvation, but often in war times (whether earthly or spiritual wars) women lead the way in calling/crying out for peace - our very natures being to preserve human relationships at all cost. Men during war times may objectify/sexify a woman to create a state of hard, insensitivity in order to carry out the bloody task at hand -- so the imagery fits the songs anti-military edge). But given that the album revolves very clearly around the spiritual, I am inclined to believe that it is a spiritual message as well as political. Atu2 posted a column interpreting "let me in the sound" as Bono's cry to be allowed into God's harbor or refuge, which could be a solid interpretation. I think he could also be crying out to get into the realness - the pure sonic sound, the essence of God/truth. Many U2 songs start off with a political comment/message and conclude with a spiritual crying.
One thing for sure, the more we listen, the more we hear.

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 09:46:21 PM »
It's a musical journey.

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 10:31:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's a musical journey.

best. response. ever.

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 10:32:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It is Paul Hewson's song to Larry Mullen Jnr that he wants back inside the band because it is importnat to him. We have discussed this before in one of the billion threads.

WTF?  Is Larry keeping Bono "out" of the band.  I'm sorry, we're all entitled to our own opinions but this is totally unfounded.

Of course, on that note, I have no idea what the song is about yet.  I still need time to absorb it - sooooo much imagery.  I def get an anti-war vibe from  it though (Captain Obvious here).  *shrug*

Offline silverbad

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 11:05:47 PM »
I think the medals on the chest of the statues remind me of ancient times when the body was worshipped in art. Now the medals show us that there is more to women than their outward appearance (you expect to see a naked chest but see instead symbols of value, bravery, greatness)--there is more to women to appreciate than their form--and the moustaches represent the fact that women were almost expected to sometimes take on male attitudes (don't cry or show emotion to get ahead). Now women arne't expected to do that to be successful- women can just be women.  THen again.....It could just be imagery to attract viewers...but as I told someone who thought the women and explosions were to pander to lower intelligences (ooh women and fire!) this isn't a girls gone wild video---it does have meaning....eh?

Offline silverbad

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 04:10:45 AM »
It sure has grown on people though

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 04:16:51 AM »
someone somewhere wrote that it was about activism.

Get Active in your community, state, country, world

take up a cause.

An Ode to Activists everywhere.