Author Topic: should the Edge sing more U2 songs?  (Read 5956 times)

luieu2

should the Edge sing more U2 songs?
« on: January 23, 2009, 02:54:01 PM »
i think the edge should sing or duet with bono on a bonus track on every U2 album from now on .maybe larry aswell lol :o

Offline BeneathTheNoise

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: should the Edge sing more U2 songs?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:41:13 PM »
Sure. Long as it's not another Van Diemen's Land.  ;)

Offline Discotheque Girl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • You break and enter my imagination
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 01:49:10 AM »
I would really like if Edge and Bono made a duet,but I would like even more if once would Larry sing!
 ;D :D ;) ;D

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 03:30:52 AM »
I really like Edge where he is.

His contribution to the chorus of "Boots" is perfect.

I wouldn't want him to sing on every album as a duty or something like that. If it fits the song, why not ? But not as something tha HAS to be done.

Offline Zoonationalist

• Refugee
  • www.themarinerwritings.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 04:57:16 AM »
Edge SHOULD sing more. He has a wonderful voice, and unlike Bono, his voice is in great condition. I hope he double tracks with Bono often on "No Line."

eurydice

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 09:03:09 AM »
More Edge can only be a good thing.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 01:15:29 PM »
I think he should do more karaoke like on PopMart  ;D

luieu2

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 02:36:22 PM »
edge did sunday bloody sunday popmart tour it was awsome  ;)

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 03:30:42 PM »
Edge is money baby! Let the man do whatever he wants.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 03:34:44 PM »
Van Deiman's Land and Numb should be played at every concert.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 03:41:31 PM »
Bono needs to stop hogging the microphone and hand it over to The Edge a little more.  ;D

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 03:44:52 PM »
the original design for the Larry Mullen Jnr band was to have Dave Evans on vocals with back up guitar and his brother as the lead guitar but Paul Hewson came in and bossed everyone around so that he would be lead singer. This forced Dave Evans brother to leave as he was in such a huff with Paul Hewson. Thus the Larry Mullen Jnr band with Dave Evans on vocal never got started. I wonder how successfull they would have been?

eurydice

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 03:45:28 PM »
Bono needs to hand the stage over to Edge more often. Watch Red Rocks and see if you don't agree.

Offline Anthony02

• Running to Stand Still
  • And I know that the tide is turning 'round....
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
the original design for the Larry Mullen Jnr band was to have Dave Evans on vocals with back up guitar and his brother as the lead guitar but Paul Hewson came in and bossed everyone around so that he would be lead singer. This forced Dave Evans brother to leave as he was in such a huff with Paul Hewson. Thus the Larry Mullen Jnr band with Dave Evans on vocal never got started. I wonder how successfull they would have been?

LOL. I wonder what would have happen if Edge's brother would have stayed in the band

• Numb
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 04:32:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Richard "d**k" (also "Dik") Evans is the brother of David Howell "The Edge" Evans, guitarist for rock band U2.

The Evans brothers both played guitar in the initial line-up of the band, known as "The Hype," sharing their homemade guitar. The Edge attributes some of his own muscianship to the influence of his Brother's guitar playing. The Hype had come to an agreement that there was no need for three guitarists (the Evans brothers and Bono at the time). They felt that as a unit a four-piece operated better.Together, they played one final gig, first as The Hype, then returning without the elder Evans brother as U2. This is when the whole Paul Hewson/Dik Evans thing raised it's head. Paul virtually kicked Dik Evans out of the band. Dik Evans left after a Hype gig to concentrate on academia. He later joined fellow Dublin scenesters the Virgin Prunes. He was also a member of The Screech Owls. Initially, Paul sang, played guitar, and wrote the band's songs. He said of his early guitar playing in a 1982 interview, "When we started out I was the guitar player, along with David except I couldn't play guitar. I still can't. I was such a lousy guitar player that one day they broke it to me that maybe I should sing instead. I had tried before, but I had no voice at all. I remember the day I found I could sing. I said, 'Oh, that's how you do it.'When David's guitar playing improved, Paul was relegated mostly to the microphone, although he occasionally still plays rhythm guitar and harmonica. Paul Hewson has recently taken piano lessons from his children's piano teacher. So why did they really get rid of Dik if Paul Hewson could never really play guitar? was it a big fall out?

Some say Dik Evans was actually a better guitarist than his younger brother David. Dik taught David a lot of what he knows.

The Hype would have been an interesting band to listen to. If it had progressed through the musical circles and timeframe as U2 did.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 04:51:14 PM by Bono in Bonolands »