Author Topic: Too many U2 fans remind me of Chandler Bing from Friends  (Read 9986 times)

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Too many U2 fans remind me of Chandler Bing from Friends
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2010, 01:32:47 AM »

What a lovely b****-fest!

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2010, 10:45:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Like I said before there's criticism and then there's whining. IMO when you start going on about how one word or one note ruins a song you're whining. When you call Adam's playing on Streets "too groovy" you're whining. When insist that all major musical decisions revolve around money, without any evidence, you're whining. When you insist that Bono is auto-tuning his voice without evidence, you're whining.

This is what i've got a problem with not insightful well thought out criticism. I'm not suggesting that you should "Be a mindless fan boy/girl who bows down to everything the band does." Nowhere did I even come close to insinuating that. If you'd read my previous posts i've consistently said that criticism is great, but whining is annoying. Hope that clears everything up . :)

^^^This.  +1

Offline 1notsame

• Stateless
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2010, 10:48:51 AM »
A catch-all response to the responses: I don't know why I thought of Chandler Bing. Something about that snide remark for everything attitude. I'm not going to deconstruct Friends, I was just being playful.

And yeah, of course U2 should be open to criticism.

And yes, I know its tricky to judge the judgemental (a mobius strip of judgment).

Its really the tone and tenor of certain segments of the music snob community that is off-putting, not the content of what they say per se.

You like that, "certain segments of the music snob community?" ... ... Oh, and the fact that people sometimes like to use the internet the way they use Starbucks and Walmart: to

dump the negative energy of the day on some poor unsuspecting bystander.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2010, 11:53:18 AM »
A catch-all response to the responses: I don't know why I thought of Chandler Bing. Something about that snide remark for everything attitude. I'm not going to deconstruct Friends, I was just being playful.

And yeah, of course U2 should be open to criticism.

And yes, I know its tricky to judge the judgemental (a mobius strip of judgment).

Its really the tone and tenor of certain segments of the music snob community that is off-putting, not the content of what they say per se.

You like that, "certain segments of the music snob community?" ... ... Oh, and the fact that people sometimes like to use the internet the way they use Starbucks and Walmart: to

That's the first time in a long long while that I had to look up the meaning of a word. ;)

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2010, 11:59:01 AM »
Isn't a mobius strip that twisted sheet of paper, basically, with the sides continuing into each other or something? I'm picturing what it is, but I can't really describe it.

Ah yes, the one-sided thing. Thank you Wikipedia. :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:00:59 PM by JoshuaTree94 »

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2010, 04:33:51 PM »
... ... Oh, and the fact that people sometimes like to use the internet the way they use Starbucks and Walmart: to

OK, now I'm curious. What exactly do you do to the innocent bystanders at Starbucks and Walmart?  :o

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2010, 06:37:16 PM »
... ... Oh, and the fact that people sometimes like to use the internet the way they use Starbucks and Walmart: to

OK, now I'm curious. What exactly do you do to the innocent bystanders at Starbucks and Walmart?  :o

uh,,,i THINK he's trying to say that the customer just takes it out on the employee, and taht this happens at Starbucks and Walmart? I dunno he lost me with the Chandler comparison too. Chandler was to sarcastic, actually i never really like any of the characters.

Offline 1notsame

• Stateless
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2010, 11:46:47 PM »
I used to work at Blockbuster (many years ago) and noticed that customers liked to dump their crap on me and the other employees. In this thread, I compared this trend to the incivility sometimes expressed in discussion boards, including ours.

Chandler was always sarcastic, hence my unconventional application of his character to the discussion of music snobbery. Sometimes U2 fans express themselves sarcastically, often unnecessarily so.

It was 3AM when I posted this thread, so I apologize for any incoherence contained therein.