Author Topic: concert tickets with u2.com membership  (Read 5658 times)

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
concert tickets with u2.com membership
« on: January 24, 2009, 02:16:35 PM »
Anybody mind explaining how the ticket pre-order for u2.com members worked last tour? I have gotten tickets for the last 2 tours, but felt like it was extreme luck that I did. My wife got me a u2.com membership for my birthday last year (I know! Best wife ever!) and so I was wondering how/if that would help me get tickets for the horizon tour. Thanks!

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
Re: concert tickets with u2.com membership
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 04:02:35 PM »
Unfortunately u2.com haven't said anything about a presale this tour, there is a possibility that there may not be one, however abhorrent that may be.
But in terms of the mechanics, you were sent a special code then had to sign into to a special purchase page and select what concert you want. It was 2 tickets max to one show if I remember right.
The sale dates were staggered, UK one day, Scandavia the next, France and Germany the next etc etc..

Personally, managed to buy tickets no problem but alot of people did have problems.

Offline aarond

• Party Girl/Boy
  • What no man can own, no man can take.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 04:32:16 PM »
Yeah, I knew they hadn't announced (and may not) one yet obviously since there was no tour yet. I was just curious about the deeper details which you answered. Was there a limit to number of shows to purchase for? Thanks for your help btw.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 06:33:53 AM »
I have found the old e-mail about the presale, you could only buy tickets for one show, ie use your code only once.

Q - Can I buy tickets for any U2 show?
A - You can purchase up to your limit of 2 tickets for any single indoor
(North America) show or 4 tickets for any single outdoor (European) show
participating in the presale.

Incredibly, the webpage for the presale is still up
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope this helps you see what happened last time.

daveyg

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 01:45:55 AM »
I have found the old e-mail about the presale, you could only buy tickets for one show, ie use your code only once.

Q - Can I buy tickets for any U2 show?
A - You can purchase up to your limit of 2 tickets for any single indoor
(North America) show or 4 tickets for any single outdoor (European) show
participating in the presale.

Incredibly, the webpage for the presale is still up

Hope this helps you see what happened last time.

Glad to see u2.com is kept up to date - only 4 years behind!! :) Maybe we can just wait four years and buy tickets for this tour - no panic!! Max of two (U2) and four (Europe) tickets vis u2.com? Tch - rather get my 6 through my normal routes and bring my mates along.

I wasn't (and won't be) a member of u2.com - wasn't there a complete shambles last time round? Can a member of that era fill us in? The Vertigo ticket sales blurb being still up is hardly encouraging!

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 04:04:35 AM »
I recall it was mostly the US members who had most of the trouble. There were too many people chasing too few tickets. The initial allocation for the first leg was way too small and that was a major blunder. They fixed it for the third leg by increasing the presale allocation. I also noticed (first leg presale)a lot of US fans got a chance to buy tickets but declined as they were not happy with the seats or location, that was a cause of a lot of disatisfaction, there was an expectation the seats would all be good seats, but a good proportion of them were the worst seats in the house.

I had Zero problems getting tickets for both US and European shows. 4 of us had memberships so while the tickets we got for MSG were not great,(i was just happy to be in the building!) we had no problems getting exactly what we wanted for the Dublin shows.

I got tickets for 2 additional US shows by swapping tickets, no cash changed hands.Met the 2 US ticket swappers in person, in the US and had no problems. One has to be a bit more careful doing this, but phoning them in advance to firm up arrangments is always a good idea. One of people I swapped with also got me tickets to my first baseball game in Shay Stadium, one of the "Subway" series with the Mets and Yankees which was great.

Offline idealcrash

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 06:14:08 AM »
In Europe it was also disastrous. Even during the presales, the servers were overloaded. Sometimes the ordering process stalled, but you had already used your activation code. So during the re-try the system would say you already used the code for buying tickets. It was nerve-wrecking, to say the least. The good thing was that somebody (U2 Management, Ticketmaster?) interfered and arranged everything properly in the following days, at least for me. I could have sed my subscription code for several gigs in the end, because they became very flexible with U2.com members. (for the record: I didn't use it multiple times)

Because of the mess, U2.com stated in 2005 that a renewal would be WITHOUT PRESALE OF TICKETS. That policy still stands, as far as we know. Of course, loads of members kept on renewing (including me) in the hope that there actually will be a presale again. We'll see. I just hope that they will do it the old-fashioned, pre-2005-style: send you a form where you can fill in two shows of your choice, for two tickets each. That could be done online, without the chance of a massive server overload. And because it is an outdoor tour, they could easily guarantee you the tickets. I just have the freaky suspicion it won't happen like that.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 10:59:41 AM »

I think they said there was no guarantee of a presale, not that there wouldn't be one. They obviously didn't want to commit to providing a presale but surely they won't allow a situation to occur where thousands of members of their fanclub get ZERO tickets, the press/media would crucify them !

Offline super.jm

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 09:55:52 AM »
Yeah, I knew they hadn't appear (and may not) one yet acutely back there was no bout yet. I was just analytical about the added data which you answered. Was there a absolute to amount of shows to acquirement for? Thanks for your advice btw.

rocker77

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 02:06:58 PM »
I hope this replay is revelant...I am going to renew my membership and was possibly get the European tickets when I saw the cost...$405 USD for Brussels but there are tickets left but good luck with those who could go because that is just a too much money for me....I like them but damned! I would assume that with presale code....it would be around what $300 USD..And the by the way the one in Brussel is a will call....