Author Topic: Why Such Hatred for U2  (Read 14243 times)

Offline ptrocku2

• Stateless
  • And We All Shine ON!!!
Why Such Hatred for U2
« on: July 13, 2010, 10:23:01 PM »
I am so tired of defending this band to most everyone in the world except the people here.  Why do people LOVE to hate this band soooooo much.  I just don't get it.  ???  It's an everyday thing--defending the boys.  Why does U2 draw such HATRED from most people??

Anyone have a clue about this??

Boom Cha!

Re: Why Such Hatred for U2
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:30:02 PM »
It's probably because they're such a well-known rock band that's been around 'forever'. Plus, I'm sure all the pointless hatred for Bono automatically leads people to hate U2.

I don't care if people like U2 or not, but I'd wish I'd get more feedback from the haters other than "They suck" and "Bono's gay". I try not to waste my time getting reasonings from those people.  :D

Offline ptrocku2

• Stateless
  • And We All Shine ON!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:42:13 PM »
I guess I just reached my threshold tonight.  Was just on FaceBook and saw that Live Nation posted that U2 just set their new tour dates and there were close to 73 comments..so I took a look.  What cracked me up was that there were so many people who wrote LONG comments about how they hate U2.. "They suck" "Bono sucks" I had to laugh..I mean hell..if  you don't like a band..why even comment on a forum like Live Nation??  Why not just walk away and say nothing??  Instead people go out of their way to write such lame-ass comments.  I do not see this with any other band.  I hear things like.."i don't like them" but to go out of one's way to WRITE on a neutral site like this just astounds me. Why go out of your way to say how much you hate something??  Just leave it alone.

OK..done with the rant.  And yes..I wrote a long ass comment of my own on there--then came here for a hug from MY peeps :)

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:46:12 PM »
I always think about that too, and I may have stumbled upon the reason: I think U2 show people what it is like to live, how to live well and righteously, and what's it's like to really know yourself and just BE ALIVE. I think that really scares people, so they turn away from it, subconsciously blaming it on the music or Bono's ego/humanitarianism, etc. Really, they just can't handle what the music stands for!

Offline smalin186

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:46:23 PM »
I totally feel you on that. Hating Bono is the in vogue thing to do, yet if you asked anyone to go into detail about why they hate him they have nothing. Because they know nothing about him except that others hate him. Debauched and vapid morons like Axl Rose, Vince Neil, Pete Doherty and countless other rock stars don't get this kind've hate. Yet the guy who dedicates himself to noble causes, his family, his fans and just all around positivity attracts this CULT of vitriol. I feel like I'm living in Bizarro world. Just mind boggling.  

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
  • Too much is not enough...
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 11:28:41 PM »
Rough day with the haters, ptrocku2? (HUG) Sometimes it gets to me too.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I always think about that too, and I may have stumbled upon the reason: I think U2 show people what it is like to live, how to live well and righteously, and what's it's like to really know yourself and just BE ALIVE. I think that really scares people, so they turn away from it, subconsciously blaming it on the music or Bono's ego/humanitarianism, etc. Really, they just can't handle what the music stands for!

I think you've captured it, 4D!

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:01:29 AM »
It's probably because they're such a well-known rock band that's been around 'forever'. Plus, I'm sure all the pointless hatred for Bono automatically leads people to hate U2.

I don't care if people like U2 or not, but I'd wish I'd get more feedback from the haters other than "They suck" and "Bono's gay". I try not to waste my time getting reasonings from those people.  :D

How can Bono be gay if he's married?  :D

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »

How can Bono be gay if he's married?  :D

Well, I had a great-uncle or something of the sort who was married to my great-aunt or whatever the relation was. After a while he got up and left her for another person, this time a man...see how that works? Totally crushed my great-aunt... :(

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 12:40:47 AM »
Yin and Yang. Something or someone cannot be brilliant without others perceiving them as rubbish.

Without that, everything is grey and dull.

Do you think this band is grey and dull? I don't. And that means to me that others will think they are hateable.

Why defend them? You like em, others don't. Meh.

andym

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 12:51:29 AM »
other bands get it to
some will like some will hate some will not like its the way of the world..just your a u2 fan so you notice it more

I like u2 regardless of what people say or not..I remember my brother/ loved boy/ october and war and I really dug it to and he left after unforgettable but I just kept going..they just have so much passion that no band i know of even comes close to...but others move with the times and with what other people say. U2 must have thick skins after all these years and I'm sure are much wiser than most the criticism.

Offline yahweh

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 04:46:54 AM »
It has a lot to do with exposition and popularity on a grand scale. Look at it objectively, most popular things always have the most obvious hate and love reactions, because all kinds of people are exposed to it, and all kinds of ppl comment on it, not just fans. It is not just Bono who's being so despised, it's Spielberg, Michael Jackson, etc.. Whereas celebrities that have only cult following usually have only admiration, because we see comments only from those dedicated "cult" fans, not the general public who doesn't know about them. It's just the way it is.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 05:28:29 AM »
Jealous.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »
What really irks me is kids who have no idea about what U2 has achieved in their career, saying that they suck etc. And these people listen to flash-in-the pan bands who have no substance behind their music. I don't have a problem with anyone who doesn't like U2, as long as y'know, they've actually listened to a lot of their music. The world is full of ignorant morons unfortunately.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 07:15:59 AM »
its simple when you are at the very top and rated by many as being the best that will pi*s off people who are not u2 fans eg if you are a radiohead fan coldplay or bonjovi are just other bands but u2 are up there to be sniped at as they are at the top of the tree another reason is because of their success when it comes to a u2 album release there always is alot of fanfair and promotion eg 5 straight nights on letterman.. i think this angers non u2 fans as well.. dont let it get to you its always been the way of the world people always love to hate the rich guy on the hill

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 07:34:49 AM »
It's art.

Art is divisive.

Today's disposable pop music, well hey it's not my thing but some people like it. I don't.

Some people like Michelangelo's work. Some don't. Some prefer Jackson Pollock. Or Picasso.

Art is the lie that helps us understand the truth. The truth about our own tastes.

All music, if it makes someone happy, makes someone enjoy themselves or smile more. Well it has value. If it makes someone think, reflect. Well it has served its purpose too.

All art has value to someone, and the best art is often adored by many and hated by many. Thought provoking, open to different interpretations.

Without hate, there is no love.

Though I must stress that when I said that all music has value, I count bon Jovi as one exception. They are rubbish.  ;)