Author Topic: Why Such Hatred for U2  (Read 14244 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: Why Such Hatred for U2
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 07:47:55 AM »
Well... they're HUGE but they're not 'in vogue'. That's a very dangerous combination. ;D

shockdocta22

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 07:54:13 AM »
The lack of knowledge of who U2 or Bono are is amazing.  For example, this spring i was in my history studies class, and we ended up talking about Elton John and his....background life.  Then, one kid asks, "Is this guy Bono gay?  I saw him kissing another guy more than once on line, and one was with tongue"  (Liam gallagher" 

People like this do not understand what photoshopping, and his love for adam mean ::)

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 08:15:03 AM »
Where's the Bono Haters gonna Hate meme? *insert here*

There are just haters in the world. I dont try defending them bc I know theres no point. Plus I dont need to defend them or my music tastes. U2 haven't killed any puppies or kittens. Maybe just say that to them? 
Just go on jammin & loving U2.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:17:35 AM by LoveSupreme »

Offline The Wanderer

• Party Girl/Boy
  • U2360 Stage for Babies
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 08:18:04 AM »
I compare U2 to the New York Yankees of Baseball or the Lakers of the NBA.  They are the best and have been for a long time.  So they are the band people love to hate, because of their popularity and success.  

Oh well.  If everyone was a raving fan, it would be more difficult to buy tickets.

shockdocta22

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 08:36:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I compare U2 to the New York Yankees of Baseball or the Lakers of the NBA.  They are the best and have been for a long time.  So they are the band people love to hate, because of their popularity and success.  

Oh well.  If everyone was a raving fan, it would be more difficult to buy tickets.

Can we please not say the Yankees are the best :P  :D

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 08:46:33 AM »
I think its more Bono haters and the band therefore by association. I just think some people don't like hearing the truth from him that's all.

Offline MistyLeigh32

• Child of Grace
  • RAN the Marine Corps Marathon 10/30/2011
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 09:18:22 AM »
I have been defending the band for years to people who don't know anything about music.  I have also defended my fandom to people who are just looking for a reason to be negative.  I actually had a co-worker once make fun of me because I had just scored tickets to Boston and I was so excited -- she said something like "I wish I had a hobby or something that I loved so much..."  Well, it really hurt my feelings -- then another co-worker said "Tell Bono I said hi" and they laughed at me. 

Funny thing is - I MET Bono on that trip and got his autograph.  Since that time I have not defended anything to anyone about U2.  I just remind myself that 30 years of music and millions of fans can't be wrong.  And if I am wrong, I want to stay wrong.  In fact there's no place I'd rather be.

Offline yellowhat

• Numb
  • Between the horses..........literally.
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 09:48:45 AM »
I haven´t had do defend the band  in front of my people but I usually try ty hold back my joy when I hear u2 song in a radio or see video played in tv, because they just dont get it. People tend to roll eyes when I tell that I´ve ordered a a book or dvd and they usually comment"u2 again ::)"

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 10:24:40 AM »
It is always going to be this way. I just stopped listening to it all. It doesn't matter. I love them and that is all that really matters.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:29:14 AM by StrongGirl »

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 11:25:46 AM »
My friends are middle aged.  So, they either like U2.  Or they prefer other styles of music.  None of us makes fun of any artist.  We usually don't talk about music.  Because, we have aging parents, grown kids and grand children.  Who take all of our energy.  The "Sand which" generation.

Personally, I like that Bono speaks his mind.  I see this as a good quality.  Honest, up front, great sense of humor.  I like this about anyone.

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 11:28:51 AM »
It is always going to be this way. I just stopped listening to it all. It doesn't matter.

Me too, SG.  This is the best attitude to have.  I love U2 and that's all that matters.  I don't need my opinions and tastes validated by other people. 

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 11:50:18 AM »
It is always going to be this way. I just stopped listening to it all. It doesn't matter.

Me too, SG.  This is the best attitude to have.  I love U2 and that's all that matters.  I don't need my opinions and tastes validated by other people. 

Bravo!  Well said. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 12:19:21 PM »
You wouldn't think there was much hatred based on the ticket sales for 360.

Offline yellowhat

• Numb
  • Between the horses..........literally.
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 01:08:11 PM »
It is always going to be this way. I just stopped listening to it all. It doesn't matter. I love them and that is all that really matters.  ;)
This.

Offline MistyLeigh32

• Child of Grace
  • RAN the Marine Corps Marathon 10/30/2011
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2010, 05:17:22 PM »
I haven´t had do defend the band  in front of my people but I usually try ty hold back my joy when I hear u2 song in a radio or see video played in tv, because they just dont get it. People tend to roll eyes when I tell that I´ve ordered a a book or dvd and they usually comment"u2 again ::)"

Oh I am guilty of this -- but at Christmastime seems like I always get stuck in a store when "Baby Please Come Home" comes on the PA - I tear up and dance along.  Who cares!!