Author Topic: Why Such Hatred for U2  (Read 14241 times)

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
Re: Why Such Hatred for U2
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2010, 04:29:04 PM »
Please keep the vocabulary PG rated. Thanks.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Someone has to be the biggest, look at the alternatives - thank f@@@ for U2. The hatred just comes with the territory, it's never about the music.

But it is about the music,since 99% of the people that hates U2 are saying that they are the most overrated band in the history of music.

Read the stuff about u2 haters ,you'll see that the word "Overrated" is the most common word coming out of their mouth.
the word overrated is proof of what i said before if you like the band at the very top of the tree then thats what irks non u2 fans so they refer to them as overrated for instance if i liked petshop boys someone might just say they hated them but they would never say they were overrated  they say it about u2 because they are generaly seen as the best around ..what i usually say to a person who uses the word overrated is that u2 like the beatles are where they are because they deserve it and what that person thinks is irelevant

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2010, 06:28:43 PM »
The same thing has been said about the Beatles.  I liked them.  Grew up listening to their music. 

Offline ptrocku2

• Stateless
  • And We All Shine ON!!!
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »
I constantly hear they are overrated. That Bono is a megalomaniac.  What cracks me up is that those who know anything about the band understand that bono himself is the first to admit his "messianic" complex and embrace it for what it is...a complex that has helped millions of those less fortunate.  Every post here makes sense.

oh yeah...I hear Baby Come Home at Christmas all the time out here during the holidays--  I'm in California, USA!! 

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2010, 08:15:51 PM »
what ive heard is not that their bad, but that they dont deserve to be put in the ranks of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones (and one idiot said Radiohead...) but of course I do! its and also for teens, if you listen to older music, its mostly songs that either Glee has covered or just classics. unfortunately, U2 doesn't have any hits that have really made huge comebacks such as Don't Stop Believing, Living On a Prayer, or pretty much any Beatles or Michael Jackson songs have! not to mention they're not really "hard rockers" or pop, so people who like one specific genre generally aren't U2 fans. unless that one genre is U2!

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2010, 08:13:39 AM »
what ive heard is not that their bad, but that they dont deserve to be put in the ranks of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones (and one idiot said Radiohead...) but of course I do! its and also for teens, if you listen to older music, its mostly songs that either Glee has covered or just classics. unfortunately, U2 doesn't have any hits that have really made huge comebacks such as Don't Stop Believing, Living On a Prayer, or pretty much any Beatles or Michael Jackson songs have! not to mention they're not really "hard rockers" or pop, so people who like one specific genre generally aren't U2 fans. unless that one genre is U2!

Good point and there are always going to be people who have nothing better to do with there time.  Than to make fun of someone else. 

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2010, 09:08:50 AM »
;D and i dont think rolling stones deserve to be put in the ranks of u2 or the beatles but i cant deny what the rolling stones have achieved just because i am not into them

Offline ptrocku2

• Stateless
  • And We All Shine ON!!!
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2010, 09:24:55 AM »
Another thing...

Went on Facebook..joined a U2 group (don't worry OPS..I have @U2 too!!) only to find out they were haters.  When i joined..i noticed sooo many vicious comments to positive posts..then got wise to why they made the page.  I guess that's what I'm talking about..people going OUT OF THEIR WAY to make a false fan page, hoping to find real U2 fans, then trashing every positive remark made. The only good thing about that fiasco was that I met 2 true fans that tried to report them..to no avail.  Every time they tried..they were banned from the group.

So you hate U2..why go out of your way to design a page to trick those who do??? That's what I'm talking about.  Teens with too much time on their hands??  :-\ And they had over 50,000 fans at the time!!

hrsan

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2010, 10:13:24 AM »
I am so tired of defending this band to most everyone in the world except the people here.  Why do people LOVE to hate this band soooooo much.  I just don't get it.  ???  It's an everyday thing--defending the boys.  Why does U2 draw such HATRED from most people??

Anyone have a clue about this??

Why defend U2 at all, or any band for that matter?   Music is a personal thing.  Music speaks to people on a personal level. If U2's music doesn't touch someone, so be it.   Kids will always say things like (insert band) sucks.   In the grand scheme of things, it isn't important.   Just shrug your shoulders and say "whatever".  Don't bother wasting your time. After 100 million records sold, sold-out stadium tours and numerous awards, U2 does not need to be defended.   
To answer your question why U2 draws such hatred from most people?   Maybe kids think its cool to hate U2, especially if they have parents who love them.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2010, 10:23:56 AM »
I know thereís a lot of haters out there.  Including a lot of my friends.  There were a lot of comments and theories up above that I agree with, including a lot of people donít like Bono, some people think all their songs sound the same (which is a ridiculous comment and shows theyíve never listened to the music in the first place), and I honestly believe some people are a little timid about sincerity and optimism in a rock band.

All that said, in an alternate universe if I was a decade younger than I am now (Iím 35), Iím fairly certain I wouldnít have given U2 a shot and would have missed out on a lot of good music.  Only hypothetically, based on perception, of course.  I donít think I would have liked ATYCLB and HTDAAB because thatís not the type of music Iíd buy now if I didnít know the band, let alone ten years ago.  In my alternate universe where I was 10 years younger, I probably would have loved parts of a lot of their 90ís and 80ís stuff and probably parts of NLOTH, but I wouldnít have even given them a chance based on what I heard on the radio.  All hypothetical and Iím likely talking out of my ass, so take it for what itís worth.

In the end, who cares, really?  There are a lot of haters out there, but apparently thereís a lot of lovers too Ė you canít deny that!  Not to bring up the NY Yankees again, but I saw some poll where they were the most loved and most despised team in America, all at the same time.  I just donít like people dissing their artistic merit, because theyíve obviously not given it a chance.           

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2010, 10:47:35 AM »
I am so tired of defending this band to most everyone in the world except the people here.  Why do people LOVE to hate this band soooooo much.  I just don't get it.  ???  It's an everyday thing--defending the boys.  Why does U2 draw such HATRED from most people??

Anyone have a clue about this??

Why defend U2 at all, or any band for that matter?   Music is a personal thing.  Music speaks to people on a personal level. If U2's music doesn't touch someone, so be it.   Kids will always say things like (insert band) sucks.   In the grand scheme of things, it isn't important.   Just shrug your shoulders and say "whatever".  Don't bother wasting your time. After 100 million records sold, sold-out stadium tours and numerous awards, U2 does not need to be defended.   
To answer your question why U2 draws such hatred from most people?   Maybe kids think its cool to hate U2, especially if they have parents who love them.
best reply yet

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »
People are always jealous of success. The boys have worked hard and managed to stay honest and true to themselves through it all and I think we fans really admire that. How many bands would make a video to announce a rescheduled tour and even go so far as to apologize for canceling it, even though the apology was unnecessary and the band has been great to us through the whole thing? It's the same reason people hate Bill Gates or any other person of high stature: they're jealous and just assume that those people have worked their way up through dishonest means.

I guess I'm lucky because I don't come across too many haters and most people who have bothered to listen to them later told me, "Hey, those guys aren't bad!" U2's music brings people together and it comes from a place of hope, love and sacrifice. A lot of modern music listeners don't want to hear songs about God, serving others and doing something bigger than yourself because it's challenging and rubs up against our selfish human nature.

I love when people just say "They're old" and think that's a reasonable insult. :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 12:21:45 PM by Vertigo40 »

dentalboy

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2010, 12:40:28 PM »
It's simple! You love U2 , I assume there is a huge number of bands that you can't stand or may I even say hate (I know there are a lot of bands I hate and can't stand) so what is the difference between them and U2. I am married to someone who loathes them with a vengeance, the only way I got her to go to see them at the first Slane concert was by waving the prospect of Red Hot chilli peppers andColdplay , she loved them but wanted to go home as soon as they had finished. I will never change her opinion and after this many years married I don't want to but she thinks they are crap plain and simple. How do I defend their talent, I don't , I can't why should I, I won't because every one has thir own opinions! I have seen so many people slag off Coldplay here , do you not think this conversation is going on , on the Coldplay website. 

Life's life, people will hate U2 for the fact that their music leaves them feeling cold, probably more so after the last 3 albums. You will never change their opinions and so just stop fretting over defending them , It's a waste of time , enjoy the journey (at least up to before ATYCLB) and get on with it

Offline ptrocku2

• Stateless
  • And We All Shine ON!!!
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2010, 01:22:35 PM »
Not trying to change opinions or even change anyone's mind. Being a fan for close to 25 years..i wouldnt even try.  I guess im just stumped on all the vicious things that are said if you do in fact like this band.  "You have no musical taste" ..ect.  Also going out of one's way to make a phony page to blast the band.  And these weren't kids..they were adults. Doesn't make sense.  But i do agree with the post that said leave it alone. Just had to vent here and see if anyone has experienced this for YEARS.
hugsss to my peeps.

Offline 1notsame

• Stateless
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2010, 02:00:49 PM »
One thing I really relate to in your comments is the lack of specific reasons for hating U2. In the indie rock and punk rock community it's sort of a given that U2 are persona non grata. I run into people from these mileaus all the time and their bile for bono and co. is palpable but they do seem to have a hard time being specific about what irks them so much.

Bono does have a rather out-sized personality, the band is nonapolegetically ambitious, and they wear their heart on their sleeve. Plus, their popularity steadfastly refuses to wane.

Everybody hates the quarterback, the school president, the popular girl in school.

To many, that's U2. I just try to love 'em as much as their detractors hate 'em