Author Topic: Why Such Hatred for U2  (Read 14246 times)

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
Re: Why Such Hatred for U2
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2010, 02:26:05 PM »
the religious factor is a good reason too. i know MANY atheists who hate U2 because of their religious themes. you turn on say...gloria or one of their very religious songs and they say things like "oh this is all fake garbage." they dont even respect their talent and music!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2010, 06:46:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
the religious factor is a good reason too. i know MANY atheists who hate U2 because of their religious themes. you turn on say...gloria or one of their very religious songs and they say things like "oh this is all fake garbage." they dont even respect their talent and music!

I'm an atheist and prefer to hear the music for what it is. It means something to them, the themes mean nothing to me, but the music is brilliant. But yeah, it's a valid reason. I'd not listen to overt christian rock or hillsong however. Even if they sounded incredible  :P

I think I've just completely contradicted myself.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2010, 06:57:32 PM »
Not trying to change opinions or even change anyone's mind. Being a fan for close to 25 years..i wouldnt even try.  I guess im just stumped on all the vicious things that are said if you do in fact like this band.  "You have no musical taste" ..ect.  Also going out of one's way to make a phony page to blast the band.  And these weren't kids..they were adults. Doesn't make sense.  But i do agree with the post that said leave it alone. Just had to vent here and see if anyone has experienced this for YEARS.
hugsss to my peeps.

I agree with you.  That is pathetic behavior for adults.   I can understand if it was a couple of fourteen year old kids, ha ha this is funny kind of thing. 

My friend loves a few of the Country Artist.  Though, it is not to my taste.  I wouldn't dream of making fun of her.  She is like a sister to me. 

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2010, 08:37:14 PM »

I'm an atheist and prefer to hear the music for what it is. It means something to them, the themes mean nothing to me, but the music is brilliant.

ahhhh thats refreshing to hear!!!  :D

Smee

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2010, 08:25:21 AM »
While u2 may be one of the most hated bands out there, among Joe Public....in most cases...for B.S. reasons, what is rather ironic is the respect they have in the Celeb world. You only have to hear other musicians talk about the influence etc u2 have had on them, or see the amount of actors etc who go to u2 shows to see what i mean. In the music world, u2 seem to have admirers from Country music, Blues, Rap, Pop, Heavy Metal, Rock etc etc

Offline Mayflag

• Babyface
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2010, 07:01:29 PM »
When I hear people say they hate U2, it's because they are into mindless hard rock music that only covers sex, prostitution, drugs, partying and anything hedonistic. I like to listen to that stuff part of the time, but I prefer pop music, jazz, and classical--however, I'm going to a Kiss concert at the end of the month. I admit I am getting old and cannot take the loud stuff as much as I used to, and I think it is mostly due to the themes, which also include angry undertones/overtones (depending on how you look at it and what song you're listening to). The other reason,and I read some others post this reason, is that people who have a problem with Christian themes/undertones/overtones like to bash U2. Then there are the extremist fundamentalists (sp?) who say that U2 are actually a band under the guise of the devil. No matter what band someone likes, especially if it is a band who is so huge as U2 is, there's always going to be mudslinging. Can't escape it. I just ignore it.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2010, 09:42:18 PM »
When I hear people say they hate U2, it's because they are into mindless hard rock music that only covers sex, prostitution, drugs, partying and anything hedonistic.

Or perhaps they really just don't like U2.

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2010, 09:49:11 PM »
When I hear people say they hate U2, it's because they are into mindless hard rock music that only covers sex, prostitution, drugs, partying and anything hedonistic.

Or perhaps they really just don't like U2.

lol touche.

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2010, 09:52:07 PM »
I am so tired of defending this band to most everyone in the world except the people here. 

Don't kid yourself. Most of the people here hate them as well.

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2010, 09:55:11 PM »
I am so tired of defending this band to most everyone in the world except the people here. 

I also must admit , I'm curious.

Is it that hard to defend U2?

My usual response is "you're wrong, they're brilliant."

End game.

You somehow need more than that?

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2010, 10:10:40 PM »
the religious factor is a good reason too. i know MANY atheists who hate U2 because of their religious themes.

You know ALOT of stupid atheists.

They pretty much can't listen to most great rock music based on those terms.

What a horrible world view.

Your atheist friends can't listen to Otis Redding. Stevie Wonder. Johnny Cash. U2. Paul Weller. Elvis. Aretha.

Really? I could go on.

Have you called your friends dip sh**s yet?

Cause it's appropriate.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2010, 08:34:11 AM »

And I know of Christians who won't listen because U2 are not "Real" christians.

They swear and drink and smoke and aren't uptight self righteous condescending pr*cks

Offline MistyLeigh32

• Child of Grace
  • RAN the Marine Corps Marathon 10/30/2011
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2010, 08:49:46 AM »

And I know of Christians who won't listen because U2 are not "Real" christians.

They swear and drink and smoke and aren't uptight self righteous condescending pr*cks

I've met these types too - we call them self-righteous. 

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2010, 03:10:23 PM »
The thing is, a lot of us are hypocrites if we're being honest. Music brings out bias in almost all of us - look at the comments on the Music section of this forum for starters. If people aren't fans of a band, they'll talk sh*t about them all day long. Especially if that band's all over the radio and TV. It sucks to see your favourite band get trashed, but everyone who like a popular band puts up with it. You can easily out-argue these people anyway.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2010, 05:01:04 PM »
It's all opinion.

People who hate U2's opinion is as valid as yours or mine.

There's no argument to "well. I like them"