Author Topic: Why Such Hatred for U2  (Read 14242 times)

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Why Such Hatred for U2
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's all opinion.

People who hate U2's opinion is as valid as yours or mine.

There's no argument to "well. I like them"

Nope.

Someone who doesn't like U2 cause they're "too christian" or cause they're "not christian enough" is simply wrong. Probably about most things.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2010, 08:03:07 PM »
It's all opinion.

People who hate U2's opinion is as valid as yours or mine.

There's no argument to "well. I like them"

Exactly. It's a very subjective topic mixed in with some objective facts that don't always corroborate with any given point of view.

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »
Someone who doesn't like U2 cause they're "too christian" or cause they're "not christian enough" is simply wrong. Probably about most things.

:D :D :D :D :D
I can get behind that sentiment 100%  ;)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2010, 06:21:45 PM »
JEALOUSY

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2010, 06:26:19 PM »
JEALOUSY

thats the best answer i've heard yet. 8)

virgin_prune

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2010, 03:49:27 AM »
JEALOUSY

Man alive, what is it with you people? If someone dislikes U2 or bono, why does that make them 'JEALOUS', or in the rather too literal words of Mr T, 'simply wrong'. Good to see you all work with the spirit of 'tolerance' U2 like to promote!?!?

My post is about as predictable as you lot falling over yourselves to praise U2.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:52:31 AM by virgin_prune »

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2010, 04:48:09 AM »
JEALOUSY

Man alive, what is it with you people? If someone dislikes U2 or bono, why does that make them 'JEALOUS', or in the rather too literal words of Mr T, 'simply wrong'. Good to see you all work with the spirit of 'tolerance' U2 like to promote!?!?

My post is about as predictable as you lot falling over yourselves to praise U2.

Thanks for your post virgin prune... sometimes saying what you feel when everyone else is going a different way can be hard.  But at the same time no one is perfect... not the ones disliking/hating U2 nor those of us on this forum that love them to death.  Unfortunately patience and kindness with each other (or grace as Bono might say) is sometimes in short supply in this world.

Oh I forgot to say that ummm U2 is also not perfect so they do have their faults too... we'd love to put them on a pedestal and have them be perfect, an icon.  But neither they (nor anyone else) can stay there, and then when they fall off or fail us in some way (fail to meet our expectations (reasonable or unreasonable), then we want to lambaste them.  This isn't fair to them or ourselves and in the process, we do not learn the very things U2 sings about AND models with their lives.  Keep looking, look deeper, look under the trash but cut each other some slack in the process.  :)

Thanks again VP for your post!  Hope you will find more grace as you wander around these (hallowed) halls, uh threads.  ;)  :)

virgin_prune

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2010, 06:33:15 AM »
JEALOUSY

Thanks for your post virgin prune... sometimes saying what you feel when everyone else is going a different way can be hard.  But at the same time no one is perfect... not the ones disliking/hating U2 nor those of us on this forum that love them to death.  Unfortunately patience and kindness with each other (or grace as Bono might say) is sometimes in short supply in this world.

Oh I forgot to say that ummm U2 is also not perfect so they do have their faults too... we'd love to put them on a pedestal and have them be perfect, an icon.  But neither they (nor anyone else) can stay there, and then when they fall off or fail us in some way (fail to meet our expectations (reasonable or unreasonable), then we want to lambaste them.  This isn't fair to them or ourselves and in the process, we do not learn the very things U2 sings about AND models with their lives.  Keep looking, look deeper, look under the trash but cut each other some slack in the process.  :)

Thanks again VP for your post!  Hope you will find more grace as you wander around these (hallowed) halls, uh threads.  ;)  :)

Ah, a fair minded, reasonable, polite forum member! Not afraid to balance opinions and avoid knee jerk reactions that completely dismiss another person entirely.

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2010, 06:03:08 AM »
JEALOUSY

Ive never liked ketchup on my fries or on my hamburgers.  People have made fun of me for years.  Ive thought there might be a medical problem as to why I dont like ketchup.  But now I understand completely.  There is nothing medically wrong with me.  Im just.....jealous.

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2010, 11:40:26 AM »
JEALOUSY

Ive never liked ketchup on my fries or on my hamburgers.  People have made fun of me for years.  Ive thought there might be a medical problem as to why I dont like ketchup.  But now I understand completely.  There is nothing medically wrong with me.  Im just.....jealous.

HEY I DON'T LIKE KETCHUP EITHER!!! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE!!!  :D

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2010, 12:36:42 PM »
I have been in U2 (and other forums) for well over a decade now and have always gone through reasons as to why U2 is hated so much:

1.  Bono is a hypocrite trying to help the poor yet he dines lavishly and drives expensive cars.

2.  Bono is so full of himself, and is a joke.

3.  U2 are overrated.  Clayton has the easiest job in the world playing 8th notes, while Edge relies on effect but doesn't really have good guitar skills.  If U2 fans say the sum is better than the parts, that is a matter of taste.

4.  U2 are sellouts, doing iPod commercials, appearing on MTV TRL late in their careers, and have mellowed down with the music.

5.  Everything has been downhill since the Joshua Tree.

6.  U2's recording quality lacks dynamic range and it very compressed.

7.  U2 are a big production, but don't focus on the music anymore so they try to impress with their stage show.

These criticisms usually come from the "progressive rock" or "alternative music" camp who hate the mainstream and have this twisted notion that U2 should make music for the sake of it and not music for the masses.  These people are usually "musical snobs" who think U2 should just quit their elaborate shows and play clubs like they did in the 1980's.

They are the same music critics who say the same thing about every band that has made it big: They are no longer hungry.

All this hatred is totally baseless and usually recycled reasons.  I don't buy any of them.

Cheers,

J

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2010, 12:40:55 PM »
^AMEN!   :D

Offline U2Pride

• Deep In the Heart
  • There's no them, only us.
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2010, 12:51:21 PM »
Jick, that is amazing, and ridiculously true. If your in the music business, isn't the point of it to do promotional things and make it so people can enjoy it? I'm pretty sure a record that sucked wouldn't be very popular amongst the masses, most likely causing U2 to lose a bit of cash. If U2 played a club....HAHA. I don't even think that's possible. The little place would probably explode with the amount of people that would show up.

People just can't deal with U2's success.

virgin_prune

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2010, 12:51:58 PM »
I don't know - I think points 2) and 6) are fairly accurate!

Also point 3) They are not overrated. However, I would suggest Edge IS overrated as a guitarist. I know folk who are professional musicians and think he is an EFFECTIVE guitarist but hardly a BRILLIANT one.

Cheers,

VP

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2010, 01:42:47 PM »
Holy crap I agree with Jick. :D :D :D :D