Author Topic: Boy Album Art  (Read 2008 times)

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
Boy Album Art
« on: July 15, 2010, 10:51:45 PM »
Okay, I have what seems to be a dumb question.  I want to get all the early catalogue on vinyl and I'm just missing "Boy".  My CD had the wierd stretched out pic of the 4 band members.  But I thought the original artwork was the photo of the, well, the boy.  I want that one.  So when I look on Amazon or ebay, what's the difference?  Some have the boy on the cover (hard to find - I don't want a remaster - I want an original) and others have the stratched out pic of the 4 of them.

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
Re: Boy Album Art
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 10:56:56 PM »
The distorted album cover is from the American release of the album - the record company execs (or someone in a suit) thought the original cover, coupled with the title, seemed too paedophilic.

Offline tj1968

• Party Girl/Boy
  • We wait all day for night to come...
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 03:08:25 AM »
Yep, I've got the original CD version of this with the boy cover. Its one without a barcode on the back which is rarer - worth about 50.00. Sorry though, its not for sale! 8)

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 03:31:53 AM »
Try eBay UK

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 01:59:37 PM »
Thanks guys.  I sorta see the pedophile thing... how someone might make that connection.

Offline 1notsame

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 02:03:19 PM »
the first 3 albums have been re-released in remastered editions. the remastered boy has the peter rowan pic (same kid from war)

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 02:55:26 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thanks guys.  I sorta see the pedophile thing... how someone might make that connection.

I think they spend a fair amount of time talking about it in U2 by U2.  :D And like Twilight's lyrics and such. ::)

InThisHeartland

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 03:12:52 PM »
I'm a big fan of the stretched faces one. A big fan.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 04:54:23 PM »
I'm a big fan of the stretched faces one. A big fan.
It is kind of a cool picture/album cover.... my vinyl looks awesome with the stretched faces

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »
BTW zooey, much respect on the vinyl collention.

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 10:00:03 PM »
the first 3 albums have been re-released in remastered editions. the remastered boy has the peter rowan pic (same kid from war)

Yeah I know that.  But as I said in my first post, I don't want the remaster.  I want an original.  And I don't relaly like the stretched faces.  It just looks... idk... kinda cheap to me.  But to each his/her own.

And as far as u2 by u2, I've never sat down and read the whole thing - I just open it every once in awhile an dturn to a random page and start reading   :D

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 10:05:12 PM »
I have the Peter vinyl cover, zooey. not re-mastered). But I got it back in the 80's when I was over in the UK. I am not sure how easy it is to find that now. eBay UK may be a good route to take like Beli said. I also have the stretched out faces. It is cool but it can't even compare to the Peter cover.

P.S. Peter is now an award winning photographer himself and will be shooting U2 this year on the 360 Tour. That should be fun to see!

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 09:58:22 AM »
That's cool!  My son looks a little like him and he's about the right age. I asked a friend if it would be creepy if I took pics of my son posing like the album art and she said "totally".  :D

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 12:06:03 PM »
I have the stretched picture version on vinyl and it looks pretty cool, although I still need to get the vinyl with the original picture since I like it  a bit better and it fits in with the album title.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 12:29:15 AM »
That's cool!  My son looks a little like him and he's about the right age. I asked a friend if it would be creepy if I took pics of my son posing like the album art and she said "totally".  :D

Not creepy for us here!  :D We'd all say cool  8)!