Author Topic: Make me sad..  (Read 2933 times)

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
Make me sad..
« on: January 24, 2009, 05:58:01 PM »
How sad does it make you to see U2 getting old? It makes me really sad. Its a fact of life I know, but just seeing Bono ageing and Edge, Larry and Adam looking like they're prime years are behind them is a little depressing. I wish they stayed all stayed 30..that would be cool. Youthful and fearless and exciting. They're still great now, but they've lost that something that made them so much fun back in the day... I really wish I had been a fan since day one, but I only started appreciating them once ATYCLB was out...and they were on a slippery slope since then. Argh..thank god for videos and photos.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: Make me sad..
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 07:12:11 PM »
Hey, Clarky -in defense of us old folk- I am Larry and Edges's age. I think I am more fearless and exciting than I was in my 20's! I think I am more confident and outgoing. I think I look and feel better too. Life doesn't end at 30 - really!!! For me, it was actually better. As far as U2 goes, I understand what you mean in a way. You missed out on that exciting time at the beginning. I was lucky in that way, I got to be there and experience it.  But U2 has a lot to offer us fans young and old!  Their music is not better or worse, just different.  Enjoy the old stuff on DVD, but take joy in the excitement of what they have in store for us this time. If I know my band, they won't disappoint us. They haven't in over 25 years!!!! ;) Enjoy and please don't be sad! This is a happy U2 forum!

InThisHeartland

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:19:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Enjoy the old stuff on DVD, but take joy in the excitement of what they have in store for us this time. If I know my band, they won't disappoint us. They haven't in over 25 years!!!! ;) Enjoy and please don't be sad! This is a happy U2 forum!

Speaking of DVD, are there any concerts pre-Joshua Tree era on DVD? I LOVE the 4 albums that came before it, but have never seen a U2 concert video before Joshua Tree

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:39:45 PM »
I think they have 10+ years left in them.  :)

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:17:32 PM »
Enjoy the old stuff on DVD, but take joy in the excitement of what they have in store for us this time. If I know my band, they won't disappoint us. They haven't in over 25 years!!!! ;) Enjoy and please don't be sad! This is a happy U2 forum!

Speaking of DVD, are there any concerts pre-Joshua Tree era on DVD? I LOVE the 4 albums that came before it, but have never seen a U2 concert video before Joshua Tree

How about Under a Blood Red Sky?

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 08:17:50 PM »

Go get yourself the Under A Blood Red Sky DVD tomorrow. Don't delay!

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 08:17:56 PM »

Great post StrongGirl, Im a little younger, 40 this coming March, but life gets better and better  :D I grew with the band, jumped in in 1983 , I LOVE their old stuff, it was incredibly exciting watching them grow.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 02:52:33 PM by Zoostavox »

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 11:35:38 PM »
It doesn't make me sad because age, It's irrelevant.  Personally I feel better now than I did at 20 and 30.  They were growing during that time as we all were and as we all continue to grow.

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 12:04:05 AM »
How sad does it make you to see U2 getting old? It makes me really sad. Its a fact of life I know, but just seeing Bono ageing and Edge, Larry and Adam looking like they're prime years are behind them is a little depressing. I wish they stayed all stayed 30..that would be cool. Youthful and fearless and exciting. They're still great now, but they've lost that something that made them so much fun back in the day... I really wish I had been a fan since day one, but I only started appreciating them once ATYCLB was out...and they were on a slippery slope since then. Argh..thank god for videos and photos.

Are you sure that you're sad because they're getting older?
Or is it that you are getting older?

....hell, we're all getting older. One of my favorite quotes is by someone named Kierkegaard. It goes:

"Life can only be understood backwards;
but it must be lived forwards"

Not sure what you'll do with that, but there ya go.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 04:25:52 AM »
I don't know about you, but I think Larry and Edge are so much hotter now than they were in their 20s   ::)  Now they look like real men, not like boys out of school. Besides, come on! They're not even in their fifties! 50 is the new hot for women, so what is it for men...65?  ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:21:11 AM by Starfish »

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 06:52:23 AM »
lol am I the only person under 25 years of age in this thread?  :D

I see what you're saying....but I'm just sad that they're never going to be young and ferocious anymore...its a different U2 and Im not sure I like it quite as much. I still like it A LOT...just not as much as I would have if I was still a fan when they were going through their 20's etc.

but thats life!!!

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 08:34:57 AM »

Go get yourself the Under A Blood Red Sky DVD tomorrow. Don't delay!
yes defiantly get Under A Blood Read Sky, it was the first concert video I saw of them back in the early 80's, it is what hooked me on to them!!

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 08:40:40 AM »
lol am I the only person under 25 years of age in this thread?  :D

What does that have to do with anything  ???
When I was 22 I lived with my boyfriend who was then 46  ;) you know men only get better with age...

InThisHeartland

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 09:59:53 AM »
okay I looked into it, and the UABRS DVD sounds cool, thanks for the help. are there any from boy/october or TUF tours? because i think those would be awesome to have!

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 10:26:30 AM »

Clarky. In fact, Bono is a woman!!!!!!!!!