Author Topic: Make me sad..  (Read 2925 times)

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
Re: Make me sad..
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 12:38:40 PM »
It's been said before, but I'll say it again:

It's better to get older than the alternative. Given the choice between getting creamed by a bus when I'm crossing the street and having another birthday, I'll take the latter any time.

That goes for U2, too.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 01:49:58 PM »
You may think you wish that they stayed 30 forever, but I don't think that would be true in reality. To evolve and grow as a band (or people), you age a bit. U2 are more experienced musically, and they can draw on that to make their music even better. Plus the fact that they're older makes it all the more impressive that they're still the biggest band in the World after all this time.

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 02:22:18 PM »
I have more trouble dealing with the fact that I am old enough to have teenage kids, than I do about my own age.

Age is very much a mindset and an attitude. I absolutely agree with StrongGirl that life is so much easier at this age. I too feel like I have so much more confidence these days and I really don't care what other people think. Physically and mentally, I'm in far better shape than I was 10 years ago, although my body does occassionally remind me that I am 43 now and no longer 23. Life and all its experiences enrich you.

For the band, this means that what they write about changes but some of it is still the same. Bono was writing about his faith and his relationship with God on the first couple of albums and on the last couple of albums. Boy and October have songs about losing his mother, ATYCLB and HTDAAB have songs about losing his father. Twenty years after writing Sunday Bloody Sunday, he was still looking for Love, Peace or Else.

Bono once described the band as a tank that has no reverse gears, constantly crashing forwards. So stay on board for the ride. It may get bumpy and the road behind may look more interesting, but there's still plenty of road ahead before they run out of gas  :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 02:37:07 PM by Sydney_Mike »