Author Topic: Bring back "40" as show closer  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Trash Trampoline

• Wanderer
  • I'm a piece of glass left there on the beach
Bring back "40" as show closer
« on: July 16, 2010, 11:51:16 AM »
Having been at 5 U2 shows in Europe last summer, the most disappointing aspect of an otherwise magical experience was the number of people who were leaving venues halfway thru the 7 mins of Moment of Surrender. Now I love this track on NLOTH for its overall mood and pace but it is rather sleep-inducing and lacking in punch live !

So Bono, Larry, Adam and Edge, please can we have the hypnotic, enchanting yet simple refrain of "40" back for upcoming shows on 360 Tour ? The pure simplicity of this song is its beauty with all audiences I have witnessed over the years chanting "How long, How long...to sing this song?" in unison for many minutes as they leave the venue.... :)  ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 11:54:28 AM by Trash Trampoline »

Offline ILoveEd

• Elevated
  • Remember me?
Re: Bring back "40" as show closer
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »
I would love it if they brought 40 back. It really is the best U2 closer. And I've never gotten to sing "How long...to sing this song?" with thousands of other fans  :(

So, yeah, bring it back!!!!  :)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 12:45:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Having been at 5 U2 shows in Europe last summer, the most disappointing aspect of an otherwise magical experience was the number of people who were leaving venues halfway thru the 7 mins of Moment of Surrender.

Shoulda played arenas. ;)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:46:03 PM »
I adore '40' but I also like ending this tour with MoS, which is a lovely finale. I like the compromise of ending the main set with Bad / 40 snippet and then the encore with MoS which they used a bit on the European leg!

hurricane hugo

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »
Having been at 5 U2 shows in Europe last summer, the most disappointing aspect of an otherwise magical experience was the number of people who were leaving venues halfway thru the 7 mins of Moment of Surrender. Now I love this track on NLOTH for its overall mood and pace but it is rather sleep-inducing and lacking in punch live !

So Bono, Larry, Adam and Edge, please can we have the hypnotic, enchanting yet simple refrain of "40" back for upcoming shows on 360 Tour ? The pure simplicity of this song is its beauty with all audiences I have witnessed over the years chanting "How long, How long...to sing this song?" in unison for many minutes as they leave the venue.... :)  ;D

you're letting some morons leaving detract from your experience?

MOS >>>>>>> 40. I'd love to see U2 cut the pre-Achtung Baby songs down to no more than 3/show.

#@!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 02:04:42 PM »

you're letting some morons leaving detract from your experience?

MOS >>>>>>> 40. I'd love to see U2 cut the pre-Achtung Baby songs down to no more than 3/show.

I'd like to see U2 cut the number of songs from Achtung Baby down to no more than 3 per show.

I think that a concert should be more representative of an artists entire career rather than focussing on a few albums.  Pop, Zooropa, October, Boy, R&H are all under-represented on this tour.

Offline kev346

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I'm ready I'm ready for the laughing gas
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 02:11:15 PM »
I adore '40' but I also like ending this tour with MoS, which is a lovely finale. I like the compromise of ending the main set with Bad / 40 snippet and then the encore with MoS which they used a bit on the European leg!
Ye i was at Cardiff where they played the set this way . And it was a lovely way to end the show . I must say though that i do miss 40 closing the show and everyone still singing " How long to sing this song " as the stadium empties .

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 11:30:29 PM »
Bring it back!!!  ;D

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 03:41:18 PM »
Bring it back!!!  ;D

I AGREE 100%

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 02:16:28 AM »
Bring it back!!!  ;D

I AGREE 100%

Me3!

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 03:22:25 AM »
Bring it back!!!  ;D

I AGREE 100%

Me3!

Me4!! Much as MOS is a great song I think everyone is emotionally even phsyically exhausted - its an epic song - probably best before the main set closes. Bring back 40!!

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 12:30:23 PM »
Bring it back for sure.

MOS, is a good song. But it's not a great song and is certainly not a great closer. 40 is just fantastic as a closer.

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 05:53:52 PM »
Bring it back!!!  ;D

I AGREE 100%

Me3!

Me4!! Much as MOS is a great song I think everyone is emotionally even phsyically exhausted - its an epic song - probably best before the main set closes. Bring back 40!!

Me 5!!!! I adore this song and feel so up after hearing the crowd sing word for word with Bono........Bring 40 back please!!

Offline Trash Trampoline

• Wanderer
  • I'm a piece of glass left there on the beach
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »
Bring it back for sure.

MOS, is a good song. But it's not a great song and is certainly not a great closer. 40 is just fantastic as a closer.

40 is not just a fantastic U2 show closer, for me it has to be THE ultimate Rock show closer !! As I suspected opening this thread, 40 wins hands down instead of MOS...

As set lists for upcoming tour are probably being formulated round about now, is it too much to hope that someone closely connected with U2 might be reminded of this overwhelming wish by happening across a thread like this.... Pleeeease!!

"How long...How long...How long to sing this song ?"

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 07:58:46 PM »
I have long dreamed of being with 60,000 of my closest friends, all of us singing this song at the end of a fantastic concert.