Author Topic: Bring back "40" as show closer  (Read 3118 times)

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
Re: Bring back "40" as show closer
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 08:16:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have long dreamed of being with 60,000 of my closest friends, all of us singing this song at the end of a fantastic concert.

I know, it needs to come back.

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 08:25:47 PM »
I have long dreamed of being with 60,000 of my closest friends, all of us singing this song at the end of a fantastic concert.

Perfect way to put it. :)

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 08:27:10 AM »
This is tough.  40 is epic, and I think the crowd at Wembley last summer - 2nd night, when we got Bad with a 40 snippet - would have kept singing "How long" for an hour if there hadn't been more material afterwards. 

I think it has to fit the emotional tenor of the show, though.  40 after the Vertigo shows - yes.  40 as a closer for ZooTV?  I don't see that working at all. 

360 does seem to be a 40-friendly tour, though, so bring it on, U2.   ;D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 08:33:41 AM »
Bring it back for sure.

MOS, is a good song. But it's not a great song and is certainly not a great closer. 40 is just fantastic as a closer.

40 is not just a fantastic U2 show closer, for me it has to be THE ultimate Rock show closer !! As I suspected opening this thread, 40 wins hands down instead of MOS...

As set lists for upcoming tour are probably being formulated round about now, is it too much to hope that someone closely connected with U2 might be reminded of this overwhelming wish by happening across a thread like this.... Pleeeease!!

I'll have a word with Bono but he never listens to me, he just tells me what to play and I play it. ;)

Offline Zoostazione

• Stateless
  • Ticket to paradise
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 02:53:23 PM »
No...it's been done before, as glorious as it is. U2 have been finishing the shows on pensive/melancholy notes the last two tours (40, MOS)...I like the exuberance of a "Walk On" style finish.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 06:22:15 AM »
I would love to see 40 return as the show closer. But I know everyone here knows the song and the history but the vast majority of the audience are blissfully unaware. The next time they play a snippet have a look round at the people near you and you will see a sea of blank looks as only pockets of the crowd are familiar with 40 and chant the 'how long'....sad but true

Offline Trash Trampoline

• Wanderer
  • I'm a piece of glass left there on the beach
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 05:09:26 PM »
I would love to see 40 return as the show closer. But I know everyone here knows the song and the history but the vast majority of the audience are blissfully unaware. The next time they play a snippet have a look round at the people near you and you will see a sea of blank looks as only pockets of the crowd are familiar with 40 and chant the 'how long'....sad but true

Probably very true but I'm sure all the newbies to the "40" closing refrain will pick it up after it being repeated a few times and all should have it perfected by  the time they're leaving the stadium.... :)

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 04:57:46 AM »

A lot of the people in the crowd won't know Moment of Surrender either.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2010, 06:18:31 AM »

A lot of the people in the crowd won't know Moment of Surrender either.
Maybe they could put the words on the 360 screen because it would be great to hear it, there is something special about the staggered exit leaving Larry alone on stage and the crowd then continuing to sing after Larry leaves the stage.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2010, 06:42:51 AM »

Personally, I don't really care what songs the majority of the crowd know, or don't know.
It's what works best, is the important thing.
In the event of being distracted by lack of material knowledge by fans at a gig, if you are reasonably close to the front who will be with fans who know all the songs, so it's not an issue.

This is a very tough one, as 40 is a classic closer and very hard to beat.
I liked MOS live, but I am convinced it's not the best closer they could do.

On balance, I'd prefer to see a new closing song. i.e. Neither of the two above.
Many criticise U2 for not changing enough, be it setlists or whatever,and here we are discussing about bringing back a closer song that has been played at 000's of U2 gigs.

40 is superb, but deserves a rest for a few years, then bring it back, just like they did after the Lovetown tour, where it got an 11 year rest, (bar a few exceptions)
It can be very easy to overplay a song. Giving it a rest and bringing it back later, keeps the material fresh and it's all the more sweeter when an older song is brought back in in later tours. An Cat Dubh & Into The Heart for example, were both played on the Vertigo Tour after a 21 year rest. But they sounded fantastic.

Walk On was a good closer on the Elevation Tour, I hated Wake Up Deadman as a closer on Pop, that's probably their worst closer ever.

[/quote]
Maybe they could put the words on the 360 screen because it would be great to hear it, there is something special about the staggered exit leaving Larry alone on stage and the crowd then continuing to sing after Larry leaves the stage.
[/quote]
The band "40" exit is special allright, i'm not sure about the words on the screen, it reeks of Karoke ! 

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 02:51:03 PM »
End the gig with "40"... but in a 18 minute medley of

Bad / First Time / All I Want is You / Bad (second part) / 40.

Everyone happy apart from the floating vote that only go to 1 gig a decade..

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 06:17:26 AM »

Bad/40 is a great way to close, don't think anything come close to match that combo.

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »

Markreed, what do we have to do to get you on the setlist committee?   :D

virgin_prune

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2010, 12:14:36 PM »

They will never bring back 40 for a tour - it's too much like looking back to the past. Although it would be an improvement on moment of surrender.

I saw them perform 40 at the Astoria in London for the elevation tour.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »
Get me elected! I'll be in charge

I "Played" this in my head

Bad - first six minutes
First Time - full version ala some Vertigo Tour "Bad" medleys
All I Want is You - 4 minute version as per some Pop dates then switch as crescendo back into
Bad - another couple of minutes
"40" - six minutes or so