Author Topic: Bring back "40" as show closer  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Trash Trampoline

• Wanderer
  • I'm a piece of glass left there on the beach
Re: Bring back "40" as show closer
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2010, 07:28:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Get me elected! I'll be in charge

I "Played" this in my head

Bad - first six minutes
First Time - full version ala some Vertigo Tour "Bad" medleys
All I Want is You - 4 minute version as per some Pop dates then switch as crescendo back into
Bad - another couple of minutes
"40" - six minutes or so
Great Idea to have us all leave on ultimate high - but one thing....sorry, but no one messes with the complete uninterrupted beauty (full of snippets) that is Bad....Isolashun, Desolashun, Separashun...... this would be close to sacrilege or even heresy !  ;)

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2010, 03:12:41 AM »
Oh, I wasn't suggesting leave it out.. just play it a bit later in the second section!

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2010, 08:09:04 AM »
40 clearly fits on this tour more than the previous 4 tours because of the nostalgia and casual fan happy sense this tour has been.  It would work quite tell in that setting.  Not that I agree with bringing it back on a regular basis but it would work.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2010, 12:49:33 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
40 clearly fits on this tour more than the previous 4 tours because of the nostalgia and casual fan happy sense this tour has been.  It would work quite tell in that setting.  Not that I agree with bringing it back on a regular basis but it would work.

I'd like then to at least try and see!

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2010, 01:49:28 AM »
There's no nostalgia in 360 that I can tell..

Offline edgeplaytheblues

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • feel like trash, you make me feel clean
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 03:57:12 AM »
Wow .. last time i heard it was 16-07-2005 in Amsterdam. Just amazing. This song must always be THE closer. Still liked Love is Blindess :)

Offline Trash Trampoline

• Wanderer
  • I'm a piece of glass left there on the beach
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 09:46:50 AM »
Surely U2 not so blind they cannot see that they look like dropping few of the NLOTH songs on the upcoming set list but insist on retaining Moment of Surrender as the closer....is there anybody out there ??  HELLO HELLO

Now, don't get me wrong....I like MOS as an album song on NLOTH where it adjusts pace nicely where it sits in that album flow.  But are the band not watching like i did at 5 separate shows last year as halfway thru MOS , the audience started to make its way towards the Exits!!  It loses people's interest and is far too long as a closer.  Also "40" allows for a repeated chorus sung far outside the venue into the night and the staggered leaving of the stage of all 4 band members is far preferable.

Please guys....let's wake up and admit when some good songs just do not hack it live and lose Moment of Surrender !

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 12:46:08 PM »
Why not play a shorter version of "Moment of Surrender" then straight into a not-super-long "40"?

Offline busy5mom

• Stateless
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 08:06:31 PM »
After seeing 360 in Vancouver, MOS was a letdown for a closer. I REALLY missed 40! I say we do it anyway!!! Just stay and SING til they kick us out of whatever venue you're at. Or, everybody who's waiting in GA, make a plan before the show to lead the rest of the crowd. Or make huge 40 signs like the Thank You signs for Portland's Vertigo! Don't be afraid to go CRAZY!! Let them know that we're still singing and always will!!