Author Topic: your first u2 concert. what was it like?  (Read 8623 times)

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
your first u2 concert. what was it like?
« on: July 24, 2010, 09:48:30 AM »
mine was cork in 93  from zoostation to cant help fallin in love i was awe struck i still feel it was the best u2 conert i have ever seen maybe it was because it was my first time to see them in the flesh .. its funny when i look back now i remember the music so well but not very much before or after ;D i guess i was so hyped it all went by so fast

An Cat Dubh

Re: your first u2 concert. what was it like?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:57:54 AM »
May 7, 1992. Paris, France at Palais Omnisports De Paris Bercy. The first European show of Zoo TV.

Absolutely mind blowing. I have seen U2 40 times since, and not one since then has come even close to my experience in Paris, even the other Zoo TV shows I attended that were brilliant just could not compare.. It was phenomenal.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 10:19:24 AM »
September 20th, 2009.  Gillette Stadium.  Foxboro, Massachusetts

Heaven.  I dont need to say more

Offline Matty_Mullens

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "Brevity is the essence of wit" Brian Eno-1984
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 10:20:26 AM »
Elevation Tour
March 30, 2001
Atlanta, GA

From late 1998 until ATYCLB was released, I rapidly became a rabid U2 fan.  Buying all their albums and collecting posters, books, LP's, ect.  And I was a Propaganda member and when I received my letter in the mail with a list of dates for the upcoming "Elevation" Tour, I was literally shaking!  I marked off two tickets for ATL and two for Lexington, KY and waited for my first show

The thing that hit me the most was being in an arena with people who were as into the band as I was.  I met a guy near the restroom that had a Zooropa shirt and he had a German accent and he had been to the previous three shows.  Well, ATL in fact was the fourth show on the Elevation tour, so he had been to the first three shows already.  And the guy who sat in front of me a few rows down who wore an Unforgettable Fire tour shirt.  I was like, holy crap, look at all these crazy U2 fans.....just like me!

Just to be surrounded with fans for the first time gave me a warm fuzzy feeling that I'll never forget
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:25:04 AM by Matty_Mullens »

hurricane hugo

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 10:34:59 AM »
March 23, 1985
Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, MI, USA
Unforgettable Fire tour

madness...I'll expand a bit later.

#@!

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 10:38:24 AM »
May 14, 2005. Funny enough, while being the best concert I had seen to-date, it was not my favorite experience. I was waaay far back in the rafters, couldn't hear any of Edge's guitar on The Fly....and didn't appreciate the songs they played as well as I did when they came back in the fall. I felt the same way with my first 360 show--I almost wonder if it takes me one time to get used to the layout and all the stimuli (being ADD and all  :D). My second vertigo show in October was unforgettable. Cried for joy for the first time in my life-three times that night.

And my third 360 show in Arizona is still my favorite-my soul left me that night to go on a walkabout with the band, and has not yet returned. I was hoping to get it back at the July 12th show, but I guess U2 will keep it one more year!!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 11:16:31 AM by TheEdgeIn4D »

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 10:58:27 AM »
Chicago 360, opening night of North American leg.  A mountaintop experience for sure.  I was screaming like a teenage girl when I saw them for the first time (i'm a 28 year old male).   

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 11:08:16 AM »
Really awesome sounding, all of these!
Um... never been to a show, but it was great in my imagination :D :D

Boom Cha!

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 11:12:30 AM »
9/29/09, FedEx Field. Landover, MD.

Not the best concert I've seen, but it was great to see my favorite band live for the first time. My only complaint was that the crowd didn't seem that into it (it might've just been where I was seated) and the drunk dude behind me.

'The Claw' was spectacular and the band were spot on.  :)

marvgadgie

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
1993 Zooropa at Leeds in Roundhay Park a huge natural amphitheatre. Completely blew me away. I was pretty much obssessed with the band and it was at it's peak around this time. I just missed the Joshua Tree tour as I was still at school but the Zoo tour was sensational but felt over too quickly. We were stood at the front row near the walk out stage and saw the band really close up. I was swept away by the sheer grandiose nature of it and to this today remains the greatest concert I've ever seen (and I've seen hundreds). The second night at Wembley last summer came close mind.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 12:08:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
1993 Zooropa at Leeds in Roundhay Park a huge natural amphitheatre. Completely blew me away. I was pretty much obssessed with the band and it was at it's peak around this time. I just missed the Joshua Tree tour as I was still at school but the Zoo tour was sensational but felt over too quickly. We were stood at the front row near the walk out stage and saw the band really close up. I was swept away by the sheer grandiose nature of it and to this today remains the greatest concert I've ever seen (and I've seen hundreds). The second night at Wembley last summer came close mind.

I was at Roundhay Park that day too - awesome. In Bono's words, 'It made Wembley Stadium look like a f****** bowling green".  :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 12:24:40 PM »

I was at Roundhay Park that day too - awesome. In Bono's words, 'It made Wembley Stadium look like a f****** bowling green".  :D

So was I.  I've only seen one open air concert since.  And Bono was right. ::)

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »
Tampa  Oct. 9, 2009 360 Tour

I was thinking about this last night actually.  A little bit of back story first. I had gone to my first Killers concert a week earlier and it was a great show. I have loved TK since they first came out & was really excited to finally see them. Their show was amazing. So much fun. Like a huge party.
I was excited for U2 but out of the 2 concerts I was more excited about TK. And when it was time for U2 I also must admit I was kinda more excited about seeing Muse who was opening. Anyway I guess the whole entire show just made such an impression on me. I know a lot of people say they are tired of hearing SBS, One, Streets, etc. being in every show. Maybe its bc I was a casual fan at that moment but hearing those songs live was amazing. I was really moved during SBS & One. Esp. SBS. Also I had never heard Ultraviolet before the show but I remember that one very much so too.
The Claw was really beautiful. I remember at one point during the show it was all like red & orange and to me it looked like Asian temple. It was just really cool.
So I guess why I've become such a U2 fan now is bc of that show & what a big emotional impression it made on me.

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
Sept 12, 2009 Chicago

Loved the Claw and Snow Patrol was wonderful. I was in GA and just before U2 came on bunches of people came in and pushed us back so we couldn't see anything. I spent most of the night fighting for a spot with a teensy view. I'd been in line since 2 pm so it was heartbreaking.
That said, all my pain and frustration evaporated when Bad started. That song is magic!

I had rail on Adam's side the next night in Red Zone. That was AMAZING!

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 04:24:25 PM »
Oct. 11, 2005, best night of my life!  Vertigo show at Madison Square Garden.  We got scanned into the ellipse and got front row right in front of The Edge, nothing in front of us but stage!  Turned my husband and nephew into major fans.