Author Topic: your first u2 concert. what was it like?  (Read 8620 times)

Offline MistyLeigh32

• Child of Grace
  • RAN the Marine Corps Marathon 10/30/2011
Re: your first u2 concert. what was it like?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 08:57:55 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 Setlist: June 29, 1983 at New York, NY

Venue: Pier 84

Opening Act(s): The Alarm

Main Set: Out Of Control, Twilight, An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, Surrender, Two Hearts Beat As One, Seconds, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Electric Co., I Fall Down, October, New Year's Day, Gloria

Encore(s): 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, 40

It was an awesome show as the band played their final U.S. date before returning to Europe on the second leg of the War tour. It would be more correct to call The Alarm co-headliners than an opening act as they are an amazing live band as well.

WOW!  You have a good memory!  Made an impression on you for sure!! I would have loved to have been there.

Offline MistyLeigh32

• Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 09:01:37 AM »
May 14, 1997 - PopMart - Memphis, TN

Offline honey_child

• Refugee
  • Speak
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 10:18:28 AM »
October 28, 2009. Vancouver, British Columbia.

I had been waiting to see them since I was 13. I was 23. I actually screamed, "This is the best night of my life" at one point during the show. ;D

I travelled from Winnipeg for that show after I promised myself I was going to see U2 play after they've skipped Winnipeg on the last few tours.

I never believed people when they said that a show just goes to another level when U2 played Streets. I believe them now. I've never felt that level of joy at a concert before. I understand now why people follow them on tour. I'm going to three concerts next year just to relive that feeling.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 10:20:42 AM by honey_child »

Offline MistyLeigh32

• Child of Grace
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 10:29:37 AM »
October 28, 2009. Vancouver, British Columbia.

I had been waiting to see them since I was 13. I was 23. I actually screamed, "This is the best night of my life" at one point during the show. ;D

I travelled from Winnipeg for that show after I promised myself I was going to see U2 play after they've skipped Winnipeg on the last few tours.

I never believed people when they said that a show just goes to another level when U2 played Streets. I believe them now. I've never felt that level of joy at a concert before. I understand now why people follow them on tour. I'm going to three concerts next year just to relive that feeling.

Very well put!!

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2010, 02:19:36 AM »
august 1997- belfast, botonic gardens. popmart tour. 

there were about 15 of us, all students at the time, who went together to the gig. the gig was put in place only about a month before. we met around lunch time, had a few drinks in the students union bar which was only 10 miutes walk from the gig. queued for about 2 hours before the show, drinking a few beers whilst waiting and having great craic with the rest of the fans. we were quite close to the front of the queue so we rushed in and got the front pit wristbands. great!

local band ash played a good set to a fairly luke-warm reception. they were followed by howie b on the decks who played for around an hour. his set got the crowd going as he played some great dance/breakbeat tunes. then the lights went down, pop music started and all hell broke loose as u2 worked the crowd into a frenzy, especially when they played even better than the real thing.

i also remember during bullet the blue sky, bono covered a spotlight on stage with his hands that was directed straight up into the sky, then uncovered the light and pointed up to the sky, when a plane proceeded to fly right through the spotlight! i dunno if this was meant to happen or just fluke/coincidence, but something tells me it was choreographed.

it was also the beginning of my love affair with the song miami. i liked it when i first heard it on the pop album, but when they played it live it simply blew my socks off. it was the song that made the biggest impression on me from the concert. i still to this day haven't heard a better live performance from the band on any other song.

there is an interview with larry and bono on youtube in which larry cites belfast and sarajevo as the 2 highlights of the popmart tour, so that says it all really. here's the interview clip:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:32:51 AM by miami »

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 03:34:45 PM »
Love some of the stories on here

Totally forgot to mention that they played 'Bad' on my first show, which is my all time favourite U2 song. I really wasn't expecting them to play it either because it hadn't shown up much on the tour.

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »
Nosebleeds at Madison Square Garden. I would never describe a U2 show as bad, but I was a bit underwhelmed. I remember thinking, "Those could totally be impersonators down there, and I'd never know the difference." They played Vertigo twice.

Second show I went to I was really close to the stage and it was ecstasy. Closed with 40.

Offline efdeat

• Elevated
  • It's your world. You can change it.
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 09:25:35 PM »
Ever have one of those situations in life where things come together better than you could have planned, and you finally understand why you've been going through all the nonsense or garbage you've been through - so you could be grateful and appreciate the new moment?

I'm reluctant to use the phrase "even better than the real thing," because it was a very *real* experience, but my first U2 concert was so much more than I could have anticipated.  The summer breeze was warm, the setlist included UTEOTW, Stay, TUF, and Bad, I met an online U2 friend by chance outside the building, and standing in the mezzanine level of Wembley Stadium last summer, much of my life suddenly made sense to me.  It was a baptism of sorts, a taking up of the mantle of myself and wearing it proudly.  The backstory would get in the way of my answer to the question here.

Afterwards, trying to beat the waves of people pouring out of the stadium, rushing for a cab, bidding my friend - cheers, Cathal! - goodbye, and speeding back to the airport, I tried to process what I'd just experienced.  I'm still trying to process it.  I think it was the beginning of my ongoing liberation - a sort of homecoming, if you will.  :)  I saw U2 again in the US, and it was different - still joyful, tons of fun, great GA rush, but not as poignant, because my healing had already begun.  Curious to see what sweeps over me next summer.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2010, 02:42:07 AM »
Wembley 1997 - PopMart. What a way to start.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2010, 03:50:52 AM »
mine was cork in 93  from zoostation to cant help fallin in love i was awe struck i still feel it was the best u2 conert i have ever seen maybe it was because it was my first time to see them in the flesh .. its funny when i look back now i remember the music so well but not very much before or after ;D i guess i was so hyped it all went by so fast

Imedi,
I was at that gig also, it was my 4th U2 gig, the first was August 25th 1985 at the Lark By The Lee festival in Cork, they played on the back of a truck ! And they still blew the crowd away.

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2010, 06:41:46 AM »
Toads Place New Haven CT, December 1980

Ah the years of playing songs twice!
(Side topic, if the guys played any song twice on the 360 tour, what song would you want? Mine would be Pride, kidding, I'm kidding!)
11 oclock played twice and IWF played twice. I remeber hearing the Monkees snippet, I'm a Believer, and actually thought, wtf?? These Irish 'Punks' just threw in their man towels!
Serioulsy, they had me with, "it's cold outside, it get so hot in here..."

Good memories all the time, 53 shows over the last 30 years and can only hope for many more!!

Offline honey_child

• Refugee
  • Speak
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2010, 12:43:02 PM »
Ever have one of those situations in life where things come together better than you could have planned, and you finally understand why you've been going through all the nonsense or garbage you've been through - so you could be grateful and appreciate the new moment?

I'm reluctant to use the phrase "even better than the real thing," because it was a very *real* experience, but my first U2 concert was so much more than I could have anticipated.  The summer breeze was warm, the setlist included UTEOTW, Stay, TUF, and Bad, I met an online U2 friend by chance outside the building, and standing in the mezzanine level of Wembley Stadium last summer, much of my life suddenly made sense to me.  It was a baptism of sorts, a taking up of the mantle of myself and wearing it proudly.  The backstory would get in the way of my answer to the question here.

Afterwards, trying to beat the waves of people pouring out of the stadium, rushing for a cab, bidding my friend - cheers, Cathal! - goodbye, and speeding back to the airport, I tried to process what I'd just experienced.  I'm still trying to process it.  I think it was the beginning of my ongoing liberation - a sort of homecoming, if you will.  :)  I saw U2 again in the US, and it was different - still joyful, tons of fun, great GA rush, but not as poignant, because my healing had already begun.  Curious to see what sweeps over me next summer.

I’ve already replied with my own first concert but I felt compelled to reply to this one. I know exactly what you mean. To get a bit personal, I had been abused by a partner in the past and he always used to taunt me with “You’re never going to get to see U2”. For a while he seemed right. I hadn’t any money for travel, this partner hated the band so he’d never help out to go see their concert, and U2 hadn’t set a date in my city during their last few tours. When that relationship ended, one thing that gave me hope to go on was a promise I made myself that no matter what happened or how little money I had, I was finally going to see the band play. During that time, I was scared out of my wits that maybe my ex-partner was right and I wouldn’t make it without him. Once the 360 tour was announced and there was a date I could go to, I used the show I was going to attend as something good to look forward to and a reason to press on during particularly bad moments.

I flew out to Vancouver and met so many awesome people in the Red Zone lineup (and even a long-time internet friend that let me stay at her house). That show, by the standards of the tour veterans, was just another concert. But to me, it was electric. The moment the band came on stage I couldn’t believe I had finally made it. It was like coming up for air after a deep dive. It sounds melodramatic but that show was awesome. It takes a great band to make a 50,000 people stadium feel like the most intimate show of one’s life. And from the first moment standing in the red zone line in the rain, to the first song, to the end when everyone was exiting the stadium and singing Where the Streets Have No Name, I never once thought about my ex.

Whew that was long. Here's to 360 2011 :)

Offline bloom

• Elevated
  • These days are better than that
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2010, 03:12:39 PM »
Wow, thanks honey child for that amazing story, I'm sorry about the stuff you went through but happy for the way you found your way out! And thanks everyone else for great stories as well!

My first concert was Manchester, 2005. If I were to compare it to my other concert experiences since on an objective basis, it might not measure up - I've been closer to the band, been more knowledgeable about doing GA, had (for me) better setlists...but that first time is precious to me because it was the first time I experienced what I can only call the "magic". You know, I'd been dying to see U2 since I got into them a few years earlier, and I'd watched some of the videos, and I knew they were meant to have a special energy live...I was so curious to see what that was like in person. They didn't disappoint, they were charismatic and great...but what I wasn't expecting was how it seemed to transform ME...and the people around me too. There was a point in the concert where I felt like anything was possible, where I could suddenly see that all the limitations I usually worried about were meaningless. And I could tell a lot of the other people around me were feeling something special too...you could just sense it in the good feeling everyone seemed to have toward one another. At one point the guy in front of me (short guy, no less) insisted I stand in front of him because he wanted me to see better. After it was over, I understood why people were so into seeing U2 live. It was the feeling as much as the music.

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2010, 09:03:06 PM »
Nosebleeds at Madison Square Garden. I would never describe a U2 show as bad, but I was a bit underwhelmed. I remember thinking, "Those could totally be impersonators down there, and I'd never know the difference." They played Vertigo twice.

Second show I went to I was really close to the stage and it was ecstasy. Closed with 40.

I felt entirely the same way with my first and second shows, except my second was from the mezzanine level! Still an amazing show.

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 10:14:07 PM »
May 26, 1993 - Stade De La Beaujoire - Nantes, France - Zooropa Tour

The first impression that stands out in my mind about my first U2 concert experience is witnessing the fan behavior leading up to the concert.  This started with the light rail train ride out to Stade De La Beaujoire on the outskirts of Nantes.  By the afternoon rush hour commute, the trains were packed to standing room only with daily commuters & the hordes of U2 fans from France & England who descended on this city in the Normandy Coast.  One over-zealous fan (I swear it wasn't me) was shouting at the top of his lungs U2 lyrics for everyone to hear for the duration of the train ride (about 20 minutes) from the city center.  I immediately felt bad because I always thought U2 fans were smarter & way classier than the typical bone-headed rock concert punters who went to festivals as an excuse to get laid or stoned.  I commented to a fellow commuter my apologies for this guy's behavior, but he just laughed & gave me that re-assuring, universal smile that said, "it's okay, I understand" and he took it in stride.  I thought that was super awesome of the chap as he showed a fair amount of tolerance for this disruption of the normal afternoon routine.

Upon arriving at Stade De La Beaujoire, I went to check the merchandise booth, and after patiently waiting in line, I was able to purchase a t-shirt & tour program; (I would later purchase a 2nd t-shirt & 2 more tour programs after the concert for posterity sake.  My journey on the road to collecting memorbailia began in earnest).  As I have posted on another forum thread in the general music section, I witnessed a rather unfortunate incident involving 2 staffers who were running the merchandise booth outside the stadium.  The 2 staff guys (I couldn't tell if they were local hires or permanent employees on the Principle Mgmt payroll) running the merchandise booth outside the stadium attempted to bribe a young lady wearing a v-neck sweater with a free concert t-shirt if she would take off her sweater for them, since she wasn't wearing anything underneath the sweater.  It was clearly obvious that she did NOT have enough money for a t-shirt & she was very buxom, but felt put off by these morons salacious behavior.  I thought U2 staff personnel were a little smarter & way more classier than that.

So, 5:30, or 17:30 as I seem to recall, rolls around & the gates open.  Getting to the pitch is no problem.  I end up in the main pit about 15-20 feet from the front edge of the stage, about dead-center.  It's actually a perfect location as I'm somewhere inbetween the main stage & the B-Stage.  The problems begin when the first opening act, the Utah Saints, come on at 6:30 (18:30), and all 10,000 punters on the pitch start behaving like raving animals.  Obviously people here did not pay to see the Utah Saints, or Urban Dance Squad, they paid to see U2.  If I remember correctly, somewhere around the 4th or 5th song by the Saints, 2 guys propped up a buddy of theirs on their shoulders so the 3rd guy could deliver 2 middle fingers to the lead singer of the Utah Saints at eye level.  30 minutes into the Utah Saints set, every punter on the pitch held up their ticket stub & started furiously waving it at the Utah Saints to voice their displeasure at the opening act.

I had never encounted such cynical rock'n'roll fans but I got real quick schooling on what Bono, and later author Bill Flanagan, have often described as European cynicism of rock'n'roll fans.  I've since learned that actually this pretty much a universal attitude of most music fans.

Since we were less than a month away from the Summer Solstice, it didn't get dark out until about 9:50, which was when U2 started the concert.  Since the Zooropa Concert opening sequence (Zoo Station) relied an almost pitch black setting, it felt like we waited an eternity.

In the run-up to these European outdoor concerts, I was able to listen to a number of the bootlegs from the Outside Broadcast Tour, so I was familiar with the set lists U2 had played in the Fall of '92.  Unfortunately this is also what European concert goers got for the setlist during the first 2 months of the Zooropa Tour.  The Nantes setlist was your fairly typical ZOO TV concert, similar to what they had played in the states; the exception being the video sequences used for the European concert stops.  Given that there was a lot of press in the UK from NME & Melody Maker, & Q about the new EP turned album about to be released and the clutch of new songs U2 had recorded, it was disappointing that they waited until after the release of Zooropa to start playing their newer material.  In fairness there were probably 2 main reasons for the band's decision to delay the debut of these songs until after the new album hit the shops.  1) Given the nature of tape traders & bootlegers, they probably did not want their new material circulating among the tapers before the studio album hit the shops, in case any rough performances would cause fans to think that the new material might not be up to U2 standards.  2) The band could not afford to take any time off to rehearse the new songs as they were already 3 weeks into their European tour, and had to rely on sound checks to rehearse their new arrangements for translating the songs to the concert stage.  In other words, if you saw u2 during the first 2 months of the Zooropa tour, you essentially got the Outdoor Broadcast setlist + Macphisto.  If you saw U2 during the last 2 months of the Zooropa tour, you got new songs, even if they were rough around the edges.

My only other comment about this concert is that this is the concert where Morleigh Steinbergh was not able to belly dance during Mysterious Ways :-( [bummer........]
As I implied at the beginning of this post, I was rather disappointed with the fan behavior of the concert goers at this concert.  A prime example was during the intermission between Urband Dance Squad & U2.  Some kid, I'm guessing 15-16, who was standing 2 feet away from me decided to engage in some shenanigans by demonstrating a perfect example of monkey-see, monkey-do behavior.  This kid crumpled up a piece of paper into a projectile & hurled it into the air, not realizing that a security guard was standing next to him.  The security guard immediatiely grabbed his arm & escorted him out of the main pit.  I'll never forget the look on that kid's face when he realized he was caught red-handed.  [Ha-Ha]

Another example of a fan behavior letdown came during Trying to Throw Your Arms Around The World.  The girl that Bono brought up on stage to dance with him & use the handi-cam could not sing a lick.  Unfortunate this was because the beauty of this song is when Bono can find that special concert goer who can sing along with him to inspire the audience to join in.  Instead this gal was so shy, even though she wanted to be up on the stage with yer man the Lead Vocalist, that she chickened out.

The one positive that I do remember from this evening was the news scroll that the ZOO TV crew flashed during the performance of One: Marseilles 1, AC Milan 0.  It was one of the few highlights of the evening as all the futbol fans were on cloud 9 after seeing that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 10:24:06 PM by ltoy »