Author Topic: UK 360?? - am i being to greedy?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline JJEMM

• Babyface
UK 360?? - am i being to greedy?
« on: July 29, 2010, 02:39:54 PM »
I was lucky enough to see the second night at Wembley Stadium on the first leg of the 360 tour last year...... which may i add, was EPIC as always!!  ;D
But im not sure if im being too selfish with my love for U2 here, but i really really hope they will come back to UK for one last time before the end of the 360 tour as i would absolutley love to relive my experience again! prehaps for one of the very last shows, to end off, maybe on their way back to Dublin?? :)

I know Europe is getting another leg this year but they're not coming back to the UK this year, and i also know that Austrailia deserves to get some more U2 action in their part of the world...... but i mean, can anyone tell me the likelyhood of anymore UK shows happening on the current tour?? Thanks guys!  :D

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: UK 360?? - am i being to greedy?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 02:59:59 PM »
Personally, I think the U.K. is spoilt with U2. I mean the huge promotional NLOTH push prior to the release, a few promo concerts e.g. roof-top concerts (I was there  ;) ) and a handful of U.K. dates.

As much as I want them to return (and I really do), the chances are slim.

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 03:15:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Personally, I think the U.K. is spoilt with U2. I mean the huge promotional NLOTH push prior to the release, a few promo concerts e.g. roof-top concerts (I was there  ;) ) and a handful of U.K. dates.

As much as I want them to return (and I really do), the chances are slim.

It's not as if those promo gigs were easy to get to though. I didn't know about it till pretty late, couldn't go. My uncle knew before and couldn't get there - for the rooftop gig I mean.

Maybe you're right but I still think they should come back to the UK and play one or two extra shows. I mean, they've been to Italy twice this tour, Germany twice.. why not UK? I know the classic counter of 'but they did 4 cities there last year'... to be honest though, I would much rather have 2 cities last year and 2 this year with a different, shaken up setlist.

It's also relatively easy and cheap for mainland Europeans to get across a border to a show in a neighbouring country. A show in Italy, for example the Turin one, isn't too difficult for French or Swiss people to attend. It's a bit harder for us in the UK. True you can get cheap flights but it can be hassle compared to trains.

Although, hopefully we will be getting a Glastonbury performance next year. Then I wouldn't mind :-)

Smee

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 03:20:52 PM »
UK (4 Countries) got a total of 5 shows....Even tiny countries like Denmark, Finland are getting 2 shows EACH....personally, i think uk has been  shunned on the second Europe Leg. You will get those who spout "they have met demand" argument. Thats utter pi*h in my book. Each venue u2 played in Uk....they set record attendances, with the exception of Glasgow, but there were reasons behind that. Mainly, the day they played Glasgow was the first day back for schools after the summer break AND the not to small matter of Celtic playing Arsenal on the other side of the city at the same time ( a factor the band themselves were aware of). Had these factors not been in play, i believe u2 would have set an attendance record.. Theres  NO way there is less demand in the UK than Spain, France, Germany or Italy. And yes...im more than a lil bit irked that we got shunned...but...its Live Nation who make the calls regarding touring. I suppose the only comfort is that they chose to overlook Ireland also. MAYBE.....they will pay us a visit toward the end of the tour. At the end of the day...next to Ireland, UK has been u2s oldest market

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 04:55:55 PM »
It seems odd that they chose to shun the UK and Ireland on the return leg but I guess Glastonbury was meant to cover that.

I think Glastonbury 2011 will be the best chance the UK has of another U2 gig in the next 3-4 years!

Smee

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 05:46:17 PM »
Glasto would hardly have been compensation for uk fans, as it was sold out almost as soon as the tickets went on sale in 2009........Looooooooooooooooong before u2 were known to be scheduled to play it. So u2 fans had little chance of getting their hands on tickets

Offline Trash Trampoline

• Wanderer
  • I'm a piece of glass left there on the beach
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »
Unfortunately, moving "the claw" logistically off the continent of Europe to these two small Islands (UK and Ireland) probably proved to be a logistical no-no in the cost benefit analysis that Live Nation's touring accountants for 360 tour coldly would have decided.  Like everything else these days faceless corporate financial bureaucrats make these ruthless decisions.  They take advantage of the fact that there are plenty of us U2 fanatics in these islands that will make the trip to see our band anywhere in Europe no matter what the expense !

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »
I am putting my money on them closing the 360 tour with a final show in Ireland. Wasn't it Larry, last year, who said they plan on closing out the tour in Ireland? Could they really be performing new music on this leg and next year in the US without also letting their home crowd experience that? ??? I am putting all my hope in this happening since twice now my dream of seeing them in Ireland have been dashed due to being laid off in 2009 and them not playing UK in 2010. So come on boys...bring it on home in 2011 so I can fulfil my dream! Yes, it is all about my needs.  ;)

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 01:53:57 AM »
Glasto wa smeant to be the UK show for 2010 - so no griping from me. They tried. So I'm going to Paris instead.

It would be good if they could close 360 in 2011 with UK & Irish shows. They'd be a lot of people from the 'mainland' who'd make the effort for those.

P.S. Think of the songs U2 have never performed in Ireland ; Fast Cars, Crumbs, Mothers Of The Disappeared, Saints, Windows In The Skies, New York, Lemon, Dirty Day, Daddy's Gonna Pay, etc.. etc.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 04:08:25 AM »
Theres probably Zero chance of U2 playing the UK in 2010, and I think it's unlikely in 2011.

The Uk got a fairly generous 5 gigs in 2009 and was the most any individual country got in Europe.(including 2009/2010 gigs)
The capacities were large also, as Wembley and Cardiff Arms are among the largest venues in Europe.
Going back again is logistically a non starter as they would probably have to do another 8 gigs between Ireland and the UK like they did in 2009.

The nature of the gig setup means the tour is like a dinasaur moving around. Difficult and slow to move around.
Unfortuantely this means they don't have the flexibility which would accompany an indoor show setup.

Smee

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 06:17:24 AM »

The Uk got a fairly generous 5 gigs in 2009 and was the most any individual country got in Europe.(including 2009/2010 gigs)

Doh....showing a bit of ignorance here....UK is in fact made up of FOUR countries!

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 08:09:26 AM »

The UK can be considered 4 countries.

Again, the point can be made that it's relatively easy and cheap to get around in central Europe. It is much more hassle, cost and time, from the UK to Europe.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 09:14:33 AM »
As to Ireland, Edge recently said in an interview that they wanted to keep their Dublin gigs special, something that only happened every few years rather than a frequent occurence which might dilute the uniqueness.

...Of course, Larry also said they wanted to play Belfast, so I see a way the guys could but will 100% definitely not keep Dublin special without diluting... ;)

Smee

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 05:50:30 AM »

Again, the point can be made that it's relatively easy and cheap to get around in central Europe. It is much more hassle, cost and time, from the UK to Europe.

Considerably so!!!

Offline AliSPNfan

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 12:36:33 PM »
I'm going to see U2 in Rome in October and I didn't pay too much for my flight or hotel.The transport system in Italy is excellent and inexpensive and I don't think I'll have any problems while I'm there.I don't mind a little hassle if I'm in Rome to see U2!

I went to both Wembley shows and missed my flight back home to Manchester because of extensive engineering work on the Tube so I had a tough time seeing U2 in the UK.

I also think the chances of U2 returning to the UK are slim, especially for shows at Wembley.