Author Topic: SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
Re: SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 09:16:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Only gots one word to say...

Spoiler.

There you go much SPOILER  ;)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 09:30:33 PM »
You're all a bunch of flowering SPOILERS

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 11:25:13 PM »
Why do you have go to and spoil everything by telling me there'd be SPOILERS??!!!

Offline DTH

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 05:57:08 AM »
The whole "Spoiler" thing is really starting to get obnoxious.  What is the point of announcing "spoiler"? To warn people that you're going to talk about what U2 is up to? That's what this site is for!  I'm sorry, but if someone is so sensitive that they can't hear about what songs might be in the setlist without having the experience ruined for them, then this is probably the last website they should be looking at.  Do you think ESPN constantly announces "Spoiler Warnings" on SportsCenter in case the people watching recorded the game? No, of course not, because it is assumed that when you are watching a show whose purpose is to provide news on a subject, you're going to encounter some news on the subject!  And if you wanted baseball news without hearing any football news, well, that's on you.  Can we please agree that if you don't want to know what U2 did, you're coming to a U2 site at your own risk? Nobody is "spoiling" anything except these annoying warnings.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 06:04:21 AM by DTH »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 06:13:58 AM »
No arguments here. Very well put.

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 11:12:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The whole "Spoiler" thing is really starting to get obnoxious.  What is the point of announcing "spoiler"? To warn people that you're going to talk about what U2 is up to? That's what this site is for!  I'm sorry, but if someone is so sensitive that they can't hear about what songs might be in the setlist without having the experience ruined for them, then this is probably the last website they should be looking at.  Do you think ESPN constantly announces "Spoiler Warnings" on SportsCenter in case the people watching recorded the game? No, of course not, because it is assumed that when you are watching a show whose purpose is to provide news on a subject, you're going to encounter some news on the subject!  And if you wanted baseball news without hearing any football news, well, that's on you.  Can we please agree that if you don't want to know what U2 did, you're coming to a U2 site at your own risk? Nobody is "spoiling" anything except these annoying warnings.

Who knew that a single word could have such an impact on someone's ability to read the news? Not me! Do you feel like you've missed out on something because we added the word "spoiler" in the headline? Or said it once at the start of a news story?

Same rule applies, DTH. If you don't like spoiler warnings, don't come to a U2 site when spoilers are being posted.

I actually agree with you. People wanting to avoid spoilers shouldn't be visiting U2 sites this week. But the fact is that there's more U2 stuff going on than the tour. There's album news, Spiderman news, Bono's health, Bono's humanitarian stuff ... people still like to keep up on that while avoiding the setlist so that they can see the 3rd or 4th concert of the tour without knowing what's going to happen. It would be beyond rude for @U2 to say "F You," don't come to our site. We exist to serve all of our readers, including the ones who are trying to avoid spoilers for a week or two or three. And when I did a survey of our readers last year (before the U2 academic conference), about 20% of the respondents said they try to avoid spoilers. They matter to us just as much as the people who want to know everything the minute it happens.

Offline DTH

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 12:37:45 AM »
Actually, I come here to see information on setlists and new songs, but I demand everyone else shield me from any other news about the band because I don't want to see U2 news when I come to a U2 news website. In other words, it's time to start posting spoiler warnings in front of every post, every article, and ever link.

When trying to turn the argument around on those of us who are anti-spoiler warning, you miss the point. Of course I can read past the warnings, but it's the sheer ridiculousness of it that bugs me. Someone who doesn't want to see things like setlists is going out of their way to the ONE PLACE WHERE THEY WILL SEE THEM. The set isn't going to be on the news. It's not going to be in the papers. It's not going to be on the radio, on billboards, or emailed to you by evil spoiler faeries. You have to come to a site that exists to publish updates on what U2 is doing in order to protest hearing about what U2 is doing!! WTF?! If you don't want to know, then why are you here? Because you might miss an update where Bono says Edge is on fire?  It's like a vegetarian going to a steakhouse and complaining.

shockdocta22

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 04:59:48 PM »
Putting SPOILER in a thread for Tours would be like putting SPOILER as the title for everything in News and Rumors :P

If you dont want to hear about the tour, dont go in that section :)

Offline AndyU2

• Numb
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 05:06:26 PM »
some doofus starting a thread on the main board called 'OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY PLAYED RED HILL MINING TOWN!!!!'

:D :D :D