Author Topic: Gay marriage thread...  (Read 3914 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Gay marriage thread...
« on: August 05, 2010, 05:15:49 PM »
m2 - granted things may have been getting unreasonable and heated in that thread, but why lock it?

It's an emotive issue, one that plenty feel strongly about on both sides, and surely people should be able to debate it freely, whilst adhering to the rules of the forum. If they don't, then do what you have to do.

Banning everyone in the thread though... come on mate.

Human rights, politics, religion, bigotry... all factors in that thread. Things that people in no way associate with U2... ;)

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
Re: Gay marriage thread...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 05:52:56 PM »
I agree the banning threat was unnecessary, certainly for people who were trying to incite anything. I just wanted to celebrate what TO ME was some great news I had not heard yet. People will argue, it's what we do! As long as people don't get ugly (and I have seen much worse), I think discussion is fine. It's eye-opening to see other people's feelings, beliefs, and thoughts!

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 05:54:40 PM »
Yep I'm not opening this thread to discuss the substance of the ruling/ideology of gay marriage. Just curious as to why something that is worthy of discussion and debate was shut down.

Offline LoveSupreme

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 05:59:53 PM »
Yeah, I thought the banning everyone in the thread comment was a little extreme. I only posted once & thought my post was  diplomatic. I think he was prob upset that it got so out of hand & some posters were being so disrespectful. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 06:01:50 PM by LoveSupreme »

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 01:55:40 AM »
I think that is to be expected of political-related threads. No matter what they will always be heated. It's the beauty of discussing politics.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:56:08 AM »
The thread had deteriorated into one that no longer was on topic (not that big of a deal) and one that made people of a particular religious belief feel unwelcome (a much bigger deal). It wasn't the topic of the discussion so much as the tone of it. In my opinion, it was better to stop there before things went further down that path and regretful things were said which would lead us down another path entirely.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 02:01:24 AM »
Fair enough.

Anything involving religion is a tough one, because we are conditioned to believe that questioning it can be disrespectful.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 02:04:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fair enough.

Anything involving religion is a tough one, because we are conditioned to believe that questioning it can be disrespectful.

Agreed. The forum seems to be about 50-50 as to whether any religious discussion remains civil...which is pretty good compared to other boards I frequent.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 02:09:39 AM »
Fair enough.

Agreed. The forum seems to be about 50-50 as to whether any religious discussion remains civil...which is pretty good compared to other boards I frequent.

I agree, the forums over at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login can get out of hand

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 10:50:19 PM »
This thread is not about whether Gay marriage is right or not. Just about why threads about it were shutdown.

We've ascertained that now so happy for mods to lock this thread as well.

I don't agree with the stifling of discussion on it, given we can talk about loads of other contentious issues, but the call has been made.

Offline TheEdgeIn4D~Too much is NOT enough! {T-PEP}

• Up With the Sun
  • Exile...
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 11:06:48 PM »
why is this topic here why is it being hidden is this an anti gay forum ???????

No not at all!
It's just we were wondering why the other thread in the "Real World" section got locked. Things had gotten out of hand with some people, but some of us were sad to see it locked because we value discussion. I don't know anything about anti-gay sentiment here, but certainly don't jump to those conclusions because of this thread being here.

Offline U2_fan8 [aka U28]

• Acrobat
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 11:09:01 PM »
It's not being hidden. There was a thread made a few days ago about the overturnment of Propostion 8 in California. The thread in question ended up getting rather... uncivil, and was locked.
This thread was made to question the original  thread ("Judge overturns Gay Marriage ban in California") being locked.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 11:10:22 PM »
It's not hidden - you found it?

As stated, I put this in the helpdesk to get some feedback as to why the discussion thread was closed so prematurely.

This is not about the issue of gay marriage, just about why the thready was closed. A housekeeping question if you will.

deco20

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 04:31:43 AM »
@Not Fade Away

The more you shoot your mouth off with baseless conclusions, it might very well transform into an anti-gay forum.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:36:27 AM by Deco20 »

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 07:28:25 PM »
Yeah, I thought the banning everyone in the thread comment was a little extreme. I only posted once & thought my post was  diplomatic. I think he was prob upset that it got so out of hand & some posters were being so disrespectful. 

This all makes me think of that quote "The Only Thing We Have To Fear, Is Fear Itself"