Author Topic: UV vs HMTMKMKM - Big mistake dropping UV (best part of the whole show)  (Read 3610 times)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: UV vs HMTMKMKM - Big mistake dropping UV (best part of the whole show)
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 09:41:53 PM »
Oh stop whining already! You've had Ultraviolet for TWO whole legs. What's even wrong with adding HMTMKMKM? It's a rocker, it's from the 90's, it was awesome on Popmart. U2360 needs MOAR rockers and HMTM ... was one of them.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh stop whining already! You've had Ultraviolet for TWO whole legs. What's even wrong with adding HMTMKMKM? It's a rocker, it's from the 90's, it was awesome on Popmart. U2360 needs MOAR rockers and HMTM ... was one of them.

Finally, a voice of reason!  ;D

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 09:59:58 PM »

In amidst the garbage.  ;)

Offline honey_child

• Refugee
  • Speak
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 10:20:36 PM »
All I know is I will cheer it every time if Bono keeps asking "why so serious?" at the beginning of it.

*is a Batman fan*

satellitedog01

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 06:37:25 AM »

In amidst the garbage.  ;)

Actually HMTMKMKM is not really convincing in the context of 360 as it's contradicting the whole notion of 2000s U2. One could agree that its irony would go hand in hand with the backlash from some outside detractors of Bono and '90s fans, but then it would be rather tastless to use  the song against them to justify the world hugging MOR that is the last 3 albums.

And if there is no subtext to reviving Hold Me... and they are doing it for fun, it's just throwaway fun, just like Boots, Vertigo, Crazy(remix sucker), while Ultraviolet was an emotional highlight.

And if Hold Me stays, he should at least realize the possibility of using the effin lit-up microphone as a halo, as opposed to sitting on it :-)
That could also be a funny form of blasphemy, but I don't think it's deliberate...

Offline u2pinstripes

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 08:39:42 AM »
We complain when they don't mix-up the setlist and we complain when they do.  ::) :P

Anyways, I love both songs (they're 2 of my all time favorite U2 songs). Now, I would've preferred that they replaced a different song for Hold Me, but oh well.

I'm sure Ultraviolet will come back and hopefully they'll play both songs on the same night.

But they could have replaced TUF, In a Little While, Boots, or SBS with Hold Me.  They even could have just made it a 4 song encore, which would be ideal.  Instead, they drop one of the best songs in the entire set. 

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »
A rocker would be Out of Control, Gloria, Electric Co , I will Follow etc not this guff song!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 01:39:53 PM »
A rocker would be Out of Control, Gloria, Electric Co , I will Follow etc not this guff song!

Let's leave 'I Will Follow' out of this shall we? :D

A rocker would be The Fly, Gone, Acrobat or Desire. ;)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 01:41:56 PM »
Ahem....its inclusion worked really welll (IMHO)  ;D

satellitedog01

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 02:14:44 PM »

It's unusual, but I have to agree with you on this TD

Offline TheFlyingLemon

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 08:18:17 PM »

What defines a rocker for you? Because it's fair to say, objectively, that HMTM ... is a rocker.

Offline zooey

• Elevated
  • Boom Cha
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 09:54:13 PM »
I loved hearing UV live. I'll love hearing HMTMKMKM live.  Being a life long fan (since   Unforgettable Fire) but a new tour "groupie" (Vertigo was my first), I'm excited to hear anything live that I haven't heard before.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 11:31:29 PM »
If by "mistake" you mean "upgrade", then I agree 100%.   8)

#@!

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2010, 02:09:00 AM »
Actually HMTMKMKM is not really convincing in the context of 360 as it's contradicting the whole notion of 2000s U2. One could agree that its irony would go hand in hand with the backlash from some outside detractors of Bono and '90s fans, but then it would be rather tastless to use  the song against them to justify the world hugging MOR that is the last 3 albums.

And if there is no subtext to reviving Hold Me... and they are doing it for fun, it's just throwaway fun, just like Boots, Vertigo, Crazy(remix sucker), while Ultraviolet was an emotional highlight.

I think Hold Me is convincing in the context of the irony and self-doubt evident in the No Line tracks (there are particularly strong parallels with Boots), none of which are just throwaway fun (well maybe the Crazy remix is 95% throwaway fun). It's a real shame to me that they dropped No Line and even Unknown Caller.

Offline indiansummer

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 02:13:33 AM »

Those four are great too but HMTM....is just one of the only U2 songs I have absolutely no time for. Verses are actually quite good it's just the stuttering guitar riff that kills it.