Author Topic: Ten Non-Awful U2 Items from the Past Decade  (Read 3092 times)

Offline keirdubois

• Refugee
  • Designer-Wordsmith-Rockstar.
Ten Non-Awful U2 Items from the Past Decade
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:25:32 AM »
Apparently it's become "like so not cool, man" to be "negative" about the band or the new single or anything they do, ever. So, just to balance my extreme negativity toward "Get On Your Boots" with some "good" things that the Rich Irish Dorks accomplished during this Decade of their Neo-Classicism that did, in fact, make me happy in the most fanboyishly nerdy way:

Reinventing "The Fly" live
Since it's my favorite U2 song, this is an important thing to not screw up. The extended Eno-esque intro during Elevation 2001 and killer echo-feedback loop during Vertigo '05 were worthy. The 4/10/05 performance in San Jose was particularly ass-kicking (naturally, the night AFTER I saw them).

Diverse live setlists
In general, the sets for the majority of both Elevation and Vertigo were, for U2, amazingly diverse in terms of the pool of songs they drew from. Lots of "Pop" songs survived well into Elevation, and the un-mothballing of several ancient tunes from "Boy" during Vertigo worked surprisingly well.

...And otherwise refusing to suck live
More songs that were fun to see done well live: "Gone" and "Kite" (during Elevation), "Until the End of the World (both Elevation & Vertigo), "City of Blinding Lights," "Electric Co.," and "Zoo Station" (during Vertigo).

Non-sucky opening acts
Getting P.J. Harvey to open Elevation's first (U.S.) leg was a f****** coup, boyos. Also, some of the openers for Vertigo Europe weren't too shabby either: Doves, Interpol, Franz Ferdinand, The Soundtrack of Our Lives, and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Plus the Secret Machines for the Mexico shows.

Best-Of package design
The otherwise marginally useful "Best of 1980-1990" and "Best of 1990-2000" had some good work from Steve Averill and the 4-5-1 creative team. The mostly-useless "U218" career-spanner wasn't terrible, design-wise, either.

DVD Releases
Holy sh**, the 90's best-of DVD was a f****** god-send, and then Zoo TV and PopMart both got deluxe double-disc releases. And yeah, finally having Red Rocks on DVD was nice too, I guess.

The "Window in the Skies" video
Say what you will about U2's egomania vis a vis getting other legends of rock, pop, and country all synced together to sing a not-bad, but not-great song (itself the only reason to buy "U218"), but it was a masterwork of editing. The Modernista people who pulled that sh** off should get medals—and I say this because, in my experience, editing video to match music is HARD.

"The Wanderer," Live (!)
It's true, U2 played the epic "Zooropa" closer at a Johnny Cash tribute while they were on the road with Vertigo. Very cool.

Vertigo's "Heart of Darkness"
Sure, Bono's headband/flag/Coexist outfit was hideous, but the strech of the Vertigo show that comprised "Love and Peace or Else," "Sunday Bloody Sunday," "Bullet the Blue Sky," and "Running to Stand Still" was the best quasi-politicizing they've done since Zoo TV's excruciatingly awkward Bosnia hookups.

Reissuing the early albums
Yeah, the 2007/08 double-disc versions of "Boy," "October," "War," "Under a Blood Red Sky," and "The Joshua Tree" were super-expensive, but getting some comprehensive reissues (and their companion rare goodies) on disc is much, much better than the bloated, mediocre redundancy of their "Complete U2" iTunes box set from 2004.

So there. I said something "nice." Ten things even. And "Get On Your Boots" still stinks.

Offline keirdubois

• Refugee
Re: Ten Non-Awful U2 Items from the Past Decade
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:33:21 AM »
Oops. I forgot to remove all the bad words. Oh well.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 08:36:25 AM »
Your post reminds me of a time when I insisted my husband say 10 nice things about me right after we finished a fight, as a part of reconciliation. It went something like that:

...well, you didn't burn dinner last night
...you didn't forget to fill the tank before coming home
...you got rid of that sweater I couldn't stand

you get the idea...  ;)

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 09:44:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Your post reminds me of a time when I insisted my husband say 10 nice things about me right after we finished a fight, as a part of reconciliation. It went something like that:

you get the idea...  ;)

I thought you were a guy... (Maybe that's why you have Larry's pic on yer profile...)

I don't agree in any point by Keirduboid apart from the DVD issue...

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:11:41 AM »

I thought you were a guy... (Maybe that's why you have Larry's pic on yer profile...)

So now that you know the brutal truth, do you still wanna be friends?  ;)

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:18:45 AM »

So now that you know the brutal truth, do you still wanna be friends?  ;)

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure! No that brutal. More brutal is to know that I'm bald!

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 10:20:27 AM »
 :D don't worry, so are some of the greatest men on the planet and smileys.  ;)

Offline Lesmo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:23:08 AM »
:D don't worry, so are some of the greatest men on the planet and smileys.  ;)

:D :D

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »
1. Boy remastered: Great sounding with a good disc 2.

2. October remastered: Also great sounding with a decent disc 2.

Not counting War though: I already have the MFSL version, and the disc #2 that came with it was, well...not that good.

Same with Under a Blood Red Sky CD: The complete edit of The Electric Co was not only annoying, but cheap, too!

Alright, where was I?....
3. Under a Blood Red Sky DVD: Great. Great. Great! Ah hell, all concert DVD releases have to be included.

4. The Joshua Tree remastered box-set: Pretty cool all around packaging.

5. Larry trading in his symbols for trash can lids for "Boots": I mean, who else would have the cajones to do that?

6. Adam not getting married: The absolute last sign of someone in this band actually living a rock 'n' roll lifestyle.

7. Bringing out the big guns to put Lola CASHman in her right place!

8. Moving part of the U2 corperation out of Ireland: Anyone that says U2 can't relate to any U.S. Republicans...ha!

9. Greatest Super Bowl halftime show ever!

10. Any of the post 911 shows in the U.S.: Can't even describe how great these were!

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »
10 - U2 3D
09 - U2 By U2 
08 - finally putting A Celebration on a disc
07 - Superbowl
06 - Electric Co on Vertigo tour
05 - Slane
04 - The Fly in Boston
03 - Video for WITS
02 - Music Rising
01 - Kite

Offline keirdubois

• Refugee
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 11:45:17 AM »

you get the idea...  ;)

I do get the idea. Except that my wife and I never fight. Ever. :)

Offline keirdubois

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 11:46:20 AM »
1. Boy remastered: Great sounding with a good disc 2.

2. October remastered: Also great sounding with a decent disc 2.

Not counting War though: I already have the MFSL version, and the disc #2 that came with it was, well...not that good.

Same with Under a Blood Red Sky CD: The complete edit of The Electric Co was not only annoying, but cheap, too!

Alright, where was I?....
3. Under a Blood Red Sky DVD: Great. Great. Great! Ah hell, all concert DVD releases have to be included.

4. The Joshua Tree remastered box-set: Pretty cool all around packaging.

5. Larry trading in his symbols for trash can lids for "Boots": I mean, who else would have the cajones to do that?

6. Adam not getting married: The absolute last sign of someone in this band actually living a rock 'n' roll lifestyle.

7. Bringing out the big guns to put Lola CASHman in her right place!

8. Moving part of the U2 corperation out of Ireland: Anyone that says U2 can't relate to any U.S. Republicans...ha!

9. Greatest Super Bowl halftime show ever!

10. Any of the post 911 shows in the U.S.: Can't even describe how great these were!

Yes, those bits about the War and Red Rocks annoyances were true, but in the interests of being "nice," I...neglected to mention them. :)

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 02:20:25 PM »
In no particular order:

Joshua Tree remaster box set - Finally, a non rip-off well-done U2 high end box set with stuff people actually want.
Red Rocks DVD - Long overdue, pity it's not complete but it's as good as can be gotten.
Kite live on Vertigo tour in Australia - Pity about the Blanchett thing, Bono's penchant for useless namedropping of vapid totally useless quasi-celebs is getting very annoying.
Fly reworking on Elevation tour - One huge step forward, followed by the unfortunate huge step back of the Vertigo version.
Popmart DVD - Chile was a better show, but much appreciated nonetheless.
Slane DVD - This is more like it, a straightforward not very edited warts'n'all performance.
Edge/Music Rising/Skids cover - A great cause, and recognition for a great band who provided a lot of early influence to U2
Superbowl half time show
Walk On/Tribute to Heroes
Second SNL performance - Bono lap dancing on Amy Poehler was priceless

Near miss: ZooTV DVD - There was so much stuff available to add as extras, a missed opportunity.